Europe general 2018/2019

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Europe general 2018/2019

Postby eujin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Denmark are going around begging anyone who is Danish and has played some sort of football to turn out for them against Slovakia and Wales this week.

The regular professionals are in a contract dispute with the Danish FA (the FA wants to change the conditions around sponsors and the player's federation says no). This already happened once with the women's team last year with them failing to turn up for a World Cup qualifier against Sweden. At the time UEFA warned the Danish FA that if they failed to turn up for a match again they would get banned from UEFA tournaments. So now the Danish FA is desperate to field a team, any team, and it seems increasingly likely that something literally not much better than a pub side will turn out against Wales in the Nations League on Sunday. They also don't have a coach as the national team manager says he won't coach a team he hasn't selected.

This is the sort of thing I used to have weird nightmares about when I was a kid. But as I probably mentioned before, whatever dumbass thing America does, Denmark eventually catches up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJVxQhCJG_8

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Europe general 2018/2019

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:04 am

Got a Danish passport, eujin?

eujin

Re: Europe general 2018/2019

Postby eujin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:18 am

MipoFanatic wrote:Got a Danish passport, eujin?

I have, but in the end they didn't need to ask me. Apparently the futsal team and their mates are going to play instead. Slovakia sound really annoyed by the whole thing. It's probably not a good sign, but I can't help feeling there's a certain Roy of the Rovers romance of the cup over the whole thing. They've apparently put the tickets down to 1 euro a piece and if I was anywhere near the match I'd be going.

Return to “World football”