I'm turning into my mum

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

I'm turning into my mum

Postby eujin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 am

I've tried before to understand how UEFA's new Nation's League is supposed to work. Now that they've made the draw for the groups the BBC have tried to explain it to me again, but I still don't understand. Tiers, groups, play-offs, some qualify for the European Championship, some don't. What are they all actually playing for? Is there a trophy at the end of it? I'm completely lost. Is Liverpool the team playing in red? I know them, they're supposed to be good, they have Peter Shilton.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42803594

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: I'm turning into my mum

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:29 am

It's certainly a good attempt at being completely baffling.

I reckon the AFC Cup still beats it though. Who wouldn't want to watch a competition that has zonal and inter-zonal semi-finals?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFC_Cup_knockout_stage
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 am

I like it.. it incentivises losing just enough games not to be successful but at the same time winning the bare minimum to avoid total embarrassment. This is exactly what Scottish football has been looking for.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:02 am

Have I understood correctly that there will be two levels of play-offs in the top tier, one to decide the overall Nation's League winner and one to decide the team that qualifies for the European Championships? If only one group winner fails to qualify in the usual qualifiers will they automatically qualify for the European Championships or will up to three other teams be found for them to play off against, including potentially teams from their own group? After a few iterations, the structure will look nothing like the rankings and all sorts of odd things will start to happen. A tough draw (group A of tier one), a couple of bad results and a World Cup finalist could quickly find themselves in Tier C. Once a team cannot win the group, the incentive to try to finish bottom and get relegated will be too strong for some to resist. It looks like two thirds of tier B will not be in the same tier the next time around. Are the teams that are relegated and promoted just going to replace each other or is a new draw going to be made each time? If Scotland, Israel or Albania qualify for the European Championship in the qualifiers (Albania qualified in 2016) how will the best runner-up in a group of three be compared to the other groups of four?

Answers on a postcard, please.

Return to “World football”