2018 AFC Champions League

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
trainer001
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

2018 AFC Champions League

Postby trainer001 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 am

Just looked at the draw, if Suwon get through the playoff, they will be in group H. In looking at the group I started thinking that Suwon was previously in a group with those same teams. So I went looking and was correct. The 2011 edition group H had Suwon, Kashima, Sydney and Shanghai Shenhua in the same group with Suwon topping the group on goal differential over Kashima and Suwon made it to the semifinal round where they got into a fight with Al-Sadd (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidChBd9BM8) I was in the supporters section the night of the fight! Maybe the 2018 edition will be good to the Bluewings as well.
Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.45.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.57.45 AM.png

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: 2018 AFC Champions League

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:47 am

Suwon vs. Eastern would be tasty.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:48 am

Despite the AFC's best efforts to engineer a West Asian winner of the tournament, Al Saad's controversial 2011 run to the title is still the only win by a West Asian side since Al Ittihad defended their crown in 2005..

RoqueJunior
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby RoqueJunior » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Suwon Bluewings continues their pre-season form with another win in the ACL play-offs. The new players were good once again. Let's see how they will do against tougher opponents in the group stage. Their group seems to be quite strong.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 am

Nice to see a 'smaller' club like Kitchee make it to the group stage. Not sure that they'll pick up any points, but at least they'll have the opportunity.

Also, I don't follow Uzbek football that closely, but I'm surprised neither Pakhtakor nor Bunyodkor qualified for the AFC CL this season.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

RoqueJunior

Postby RoqueJunior » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Yes, it's a surprise. Korean teams groups are not easy. Jeonbuk seems to have the bigger chances to qualify.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 am

paquebot wrote:Nice to see a 'smaller' club like Kitchee make it to the group stage. Not sure that they'll pick up any points, but at least they'll have the opportunity.

Oops, thanks for the reminder. They qualified directly to the group stage, which I had completely forgotten about (as I had been tracking the progress of Eastern through the qualifiers).

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:58 pm

How do the Hong Kong teams rank against the teams from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and Indonesia? I know that some of the Thai teams (Buriram?) have some money-bags owners behind them and some of the Indonesian sides get home gate many times what Korean teams draw. Are the Hong Kong sides smaller than the South-east Asian sides? I remember one of my uni mates turning out for the Hong Kong Football Club which told me everything I need to know about their strength in depth.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 pm

The HK Premier League isn't a fantastic competition. Kitchee and Eastern are usually miles ahead of the rest (although Eastern is struggling this season).

HKFC is a yo-yo club that bounces between the Premier League and the First Division. They struggled in the Prem last season, picking up just two wins and no draws in 20 games, and were part of the most lopsided scoreline of the season (a 10-0 loss to Kitchee). They also field a reserve side - might that be where your friend played?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:12 am

Last time I saw a game in Hong Kong was in 2010 and South China were the big team with their big stadium. They appear to have done a Rangers (not the Hong Kong one) and disappeared from the league.
Bring back King Cha.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:06 am

Kitchee 1-0 Kashiwa Reysol in the group stage! The J.Leaguers picked up a red card, and the Hong Kong side scored the winner in stoppage time.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:41 am

Didn't realize that Diego Forlan is playing for Kitchee these days.
YouTube video with highlights including the red card and goal here:

In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:17 am

The red card is very harsh. Even a yellow is harsh there as the guy is just asleep. But it sounds like there was an excellent atmosphere and the away support was decent too.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:19 pm

I would love to know that the explanation for the red card was. "Not only did you miss the ball because the guy behind you pushed you, but I'm going to send you off for allegedly tripping that guy behind you with, urm, a fart. Yea, that's it. That's what happened. Get!"
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 am

Good results in this week's matches for Jeonbuk and bottom of the K-League Ulsan who beat Melbourne 6-2. Both teams are now through to the next round with one match left to play. Jeju are now eliminated and Suwon managed to make things interesting by losing 4-1 at home to Sydney. Suwon need to win away in Kashima to be sure of going through.

Last year's finalists, Al-Hilal, have also been eliminated in the group stage.

Return to “Football in Asia”