Korean Football Trivia Thread

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Re: Korean Football Trivia Thread

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:32 am

Any takers for the others?

Evergreen would know all about number three, number four has played at the European Championships and number seven is rather tricky but a bit of poking around on the Players section of this board will eventually turn up this player that definitely didn't play for PSV Eindhoven, Lazio, Roma, Napoli, Inter Milan or Werder Bremen, nor Yugoslavia in the 1990 World Cup...

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:15 am

Player 3: Eric Obinna
Player 4: Paulo Rink
Player 6: Nebojša Vučićević

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:47 am

Without looking it up on Wikipedia...

...which two regions of South Korea were Hyundai Horang-i based out of, prior to settling in the polluted cesspit that is Ulsan?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Crane wrote:Player 3: Eric Obinna
Player 4: Paulo Rink
Player 6: Nebojša Vučićević

We'll done!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 pm

With the relegation of Seongnam in the playoffs (and the ghost of Rangers past now back in the top flight), Korea's most successful club in terms of titles will be playing in the second tier. Which other countries have their most successful club in the second level?

Since I don't actually know the answer - this is a research trivia question - here's a list of most-title winners by country to start you off:
http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... nt-140201/

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 pm

Hmm, after literally minutes of research I couldn't find one. Bound to be some if somebody looks hard enough though.

I guess Juventus were relegated a few years back for match fixing, were Marseille not the same?

Do I get any bonus points for at least knowing that Fanja, the current champions and joint most successful club in Oman are only a point above the relegation zone after a bad start to the season.

Or that the best team in the world are inexplicably hurtling towards the 3rd tier of Scottish football.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:51 am

River Plate were in the second tier in Argentina not so long ago and Ferencvaros also got relegated about ten years ago because of financial difficulties. But both are back in the top flight now though.

Tokyo Verdy are in J2, but I think Hiroshima passed them last year as the most title winning team in Japan.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Not sure if this will count, but New York Cosmos won five Soccer Bowls (national championships) and seven regular season titles during their first incarnation of 1970-1985 in the NASL (the top division in the USA at the time) and when the club was resurrected in 2010 they joined the "new" NASL, which is currently considered the USA's second division. LA Galaxy have five MLS Cups (national championships) and four Supporters' Shields (regular season titles).
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:53 pm

I wouldn't count the New New York Cosmos. They are on their way to killing the NASL a second time. :D

That has to be an achievement in itself though? :D

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:57 pm

I was thinking Bulgaria or Romania, they've had all sorts of weird and wonderful goings on regarding club licencing and teams getting expelled from the top league for periods of time.

CSKA Sofia lost their top flight licence ahead of the 2015/16 season so they had to play in the third tier last season. They won that division and they were promoted to the second tier for this season, however during the summer it seems that the owner of top division team Litex Lovech decided he's rather his club was called CSKA Sofia so he offered his club's licence to them, they essentially became CSKA (18 players transferred from Litex to the CSKA squad), the CSKA side that won promotion to the second tier is now CSKA Sofia B and the Litex Lovech name now lives on in the third tier as an existing club in that division has taken on the name and the history.

RoqueJunior
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby RoqueJunior » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Yes, a lot of shit things happens in those two countries. In Romania a lot of teams with tradition were disbanded and we have in the first league teams from villages like Chiajna and Voluntaril which are financially supported by the local authorities. How to watch this kind of football with no fans? Personally I was and still I'm a fan of Rapid Bucharest, but from this summer no team to support anymore from the stadium. I can't pick another team to support. It's not fair. The attendeces are very low at the moment.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:59 am

Holyjoe wrote:If the literary world thought that Harper Lee was going some by taking 55 years to publish Go Set A Watchman then they're in for a bit of a shock when Mipo's book finally hits the shelves. Of course by the time it hits the shelves then we'll all be consuming literature in book-in-a-pill fashion similar to how the fertile minds of science fiction writers have continually predicted that three course meals will be condensed into capsule format. Jamie Cureton will still be playing somewhere in the English seventh tier...

You were well off the mark with that one. He played in the sixth and eighth divisions this past season.

Return to “K League”