Bball on the move

Non-football stuff.
Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Bball on the move

Postby Alex43 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:36 pm

just saw something about KCC from Jeonju having interest (one way or another) in a move to Suwon... that'd be a lot of new teams in suwon
well well well

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Re: Bball on the move

Postby changwonmatty » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:10 am

Its a stadium issue. Suwon just opened a new indoor stadium and it seems is looking for a team to play there. KCC meanwhile are a bit unhappy that Jeonju wont build a new one as they one they play in now was constructed in 1973.
So basically KCC have issued Jeonju city council an ultimatum. Build a new stadium and we will stay, if not we are moving to Suwon.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:53 am

there isnt a team in suwon now correct?
well well well

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Alex43 wrote:there isnt a team in suwon now correct?

Thats right...no team there at the moment. The Samsung basketball team are in Seoul. They are somewhat struggling to get decent crowds and with SK Seoul in a different stadium in the same olympic complex its not impossible to think that they could move to Suwon.
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC

eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Thankfully, no one cares about football in Korea, so corporations cannot credibly use the threat of moving elsewhere to demand cities build them new stadiums like they do in other countries. I'm surprised it works in basketball to be honest.

There's still plenty of shiny new stadiums though, so I guess everyone is happy.

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:47 am

To be fair the Jeonju stadium is really showing its age. It doesnt look lime much has been do e to it since 1973. I dont blame KCC for wanting to go to Suwon if they can go to a brand new stadium.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:35 pm

yeah, the stadium is pretty small and doesnt look appealing at all. it's a great location though, and it's not TOO BIG like others. I remember the sell out for the finals in 2011 I believe. they just kept selling tickets (and korean got their early with coats on the seat next to them and didnt let anyone else sitdown). It felt real old school, everyone just standing on the stairs in some shit ol 40 yr old stadium
well well well

Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby Gyongmaman » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:47 am

I saw in the Joongang Daily today an article saying they are staying put after the Jeonju Mayor agreed to pony up to either upgrade the stadium or build a new one (which sounds a bit vague). It also mentioned the new Suwon Gymansium, which is apparently called the "Chilbo Gymnasium". Anyone have any idea where in Suwon it is? The arena the two volleyball teams play at next to the baseball and Suwon FC's stadiums is a bit of a dump these days too so I wonder if they will be moving to the new one.

By far the best volleyball arena (that I've been to anyway) is the newly rebuilt Jangchung Gym in Seoul. Perfect size, perfect sightlines, great location. Just a shame about Wooricard. By comparison, the brand new one in Incheon has half the seats installed behind concrete walls which you would have thought someone might have pointed out during construction but evidently not. Looks nice from the outside though.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Gyongmaman wrote:I saw in the Joongang Daily today an article saying they are staying put after the Jeonju Mayor agreed to pony up to either upgrade the stadium or build a new one (which sounds a bit vague). It also mentioned the new Suwon Gymansium, which is apparently called the "Chilbo Gymnasium". Anyone have any idea where in Suwon it is? The arena the two volleyball teams play at next to the baseball and Suwon FC's stadiums is a bit of a dump these days too so I wonder if they will be moving to the new one.

By far the best volleyball arena (that I've been to anyway) is the newly rebuilt Jangchung Gym in Seoul. Perfect size, perfect sightlines, great location. Just a shame about Wooricard. By comparison, the brand new one in Incheon has half the seats installed behind concrete walls which you would have thought someone might have pointed out during construction but evidently not. Looks nice from the outside though.

Totally agree about the new Incheon volleyball court. It's really poor, especially compared to the old one at Dowon (now used by the woman's basketball team) which, although it's old and creaky, I really like.

I like the older style gymnasiums, not least because you don't have to bother booking a ticket for them at the weekend games. Suwon and Daejeon always has plenty of space because they are about 5- 6000 seats, but the newer ones at Ansan and Incheon are much smaller and sometimes sell out.

I'm perhaps biased, but my favourite of all the basketball / volleyball gyms is the new one at Wonju. And I have been to them all. :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Quick, start the Korean gymhopping thread. :smt100

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Found it!

It's a bit out of the way.

http://place.map.daum.net/26174144
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Return to “Off-topic”