Best Korean Sports Logo/Crest

Non-football stuff.
paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Best Korean Sports Logo/Crest

Postby paquebot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:07 pm

Before the football season kicks off this weekend I thought it might be a bit of fun to have a vote on the best sports logo/crest between the various Korean sports. I grabbed logos from the four big sports and threw them into polls based on administrative divisions - 7 metropolitan cities and 8 provinces - with the aim of having play-offs to see which crest is the best in the peninsula.

Sports included are:

-- 축구: K-League Classic, K-League Challenge, National League, K3 League, WK-League
-- 야구: Korean Baseball Organization
-- 농구: Korean Basketball League, Women's Korean Basketball League
-- 배구: V-League

I figure it's worthwhile to leave each poll open for about a week to collect votes. If votes are still coming in after that I'll probably keep the poll open longer, but I can't see them generating too much interest. The first set of polls are for teams in the southeast of Korea:

-- 부산 | Busan
-- 대구 | Daegu
-- 울산 | Ulsan
-- 경상북도 | Gyeongsangbuk-do
-- 경상남도 | Gyeongsangnam-do

I have no problem with anyone sharing this elsewhere on the internet, so if that's something that appeals to you go knock yourself out.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Best Korean Sports Logo/Crest

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:50 pm

paquebot wrote:Before the football season kicks off this weekend I thought it might be a bit of fun to have a vote on the best sports logo/crest between the various Korean sports. I grabbed logos from the four big sports and threw them into polls based on administrative divisions - 7 metropolitan cities and 8 provinces - with the aim of having play-offs to see which crest is the best in the peninsula.

Sports included are:

-- 축구: K-League Classic, K-League Challenge, National League, K3 League, WK-League
-- 야구: Korean Baseball Organization
-- 농구: Korean Basketball League, Women's Korean Basketball League
-- 배구: V-League

I figure it's worthwhile to leave each poll open for about a week to collect votes. If votes are still coming in after that I'll probably keep the poll open longer, but I can't see them generating too much interest. The first set of polls are for teams in the southeast of Korea:

-- 부산 | Busan
-- 대구 | Daegu
-- 울산 | Ulsan
-- 경상북도 | Gyeongsangbuk-do
-- 경상남도 | Gyeongsangnam-do

I have no problem with anyone sharing this elsewhere on the internet, so if that's something that appeals to you go knock yourself out.

Difficult to disassociate the logo from the club, BTC are obviously better than a rounders team, but the giants do have a pretty cool crest.
Bring back King Cha.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:04 pm

I agree -- that Giants crest looks nice and does a good job of highlighting the city's coastal location.

Wasn't too impressed by the offerings from Gyeongsangbuk-do, but for some reason I really like the Gimcheon Hi-pass logo. A simple, clean design that would go well with a white kit.

Not sure what's going on with Daegu though. Two very unimpressive crests there.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:25 pm

I like the simplicity of the IPark logo. Not a fan of seagulls and the Sangmu thing looks far too Fascistic for my liking.

Daegu has to be the Lions. Again simple is best

All of Ulsan's are decent. I think I have an Ulsan fanboy fetish now as I seem to like everything about the place. If I ever move back to Korea Ulsan might be my preferred hometown.

Pohang Steelers and Gyeongnam complete the set. Though I almost went for NC Dinos.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:24 am

I had someone point out elsewhere that the Giants logo is too busy to be easily identifiable at a distance, while the IPark logo does a good job of avoiding that. Decent point there. Hadn't thought about the fascist angle for Sangmu's logo but that color combination makes me want to avoid looking at it.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:12 am

paquebot wrote:I had someone point out elsewhere that the Giants logo is too busy to be easily identifiable at a distance, while the IPark logo does a good job of avoiding that. Decent point there. Hadn't thought about the fascist angle for Sangmu's logo but that color combination makes me want to avoid looking at it.

You should have included some of the fan group logos as well...some of them are quite cool

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:16 pm

daeguowl wrote:You should have included some of the fan group logos as well...some of them are quite cool

Might need to do another poll for those. I noticed there are a couple futsal logos out there that don't look bad as well.

I wouldn't mind doing this again next year/season and getting the clubs/cities themselves involved through some Twitter hashtags.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:24 am

Nice idea.. I do think the Busan I'Park logo is my favourite out of all of them. Always liked that logo although I really don't like the team. Ended up going for football logos for all five polls, Gyeongnam, Pohang Steelers, Daegu FC and Ulsan Hyundai. It was a difficult one to decide between that and the Mobis.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:44 am

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:23 am

Daejeon's are all a bit toot so went with the Eagles

And more rounders for the Kia Tigers.

Then Chungju Hummel just to bee ambitious.

Then the Skywalkers as the least worst of a bad lot.

Jeonbuk I guess?

Then Mokpo.

Not a great selection. Whoever gets these guys in the next round should walk it.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:14 am

My votes were pretty much the same as yours there Steve though I went with Buyeo.. did you click the wrong option there as from what I can see nobody has voted for the Skywalkers. None of those three are any good though, pretty poor all round really.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:46 am

Fess up, HJ... was that you who voted for Milton Keynes Korail?

SpainGuy
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby SpainGuy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:57 am

Have to admit Buyeo's logo is pretty good.. that drake-chicken with a heart as background deserves my vote.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Looks like I might be the contrarian this round. I think we're all in agreement though that the southwest has some room for improvement when it comes to its logos.

Dragons. Mokpo's white text with an orange border was just enough to make me want to skip over them. Who voted for Yeonggwang?

Jeonbuk. Jeonju need to ditch the gradient background.

Cheonan City. Close between theirs and Buyeo's.

Chungju.

Gwangju FC

Korail. Unique design to theirs while still keeping a general shield shape.

Putting together this set of polls did make me realize that Daejeon seems a pretty good city based on breadth of sports teams.

Also, I haven't entirely decided how to do the knock-out round but I'm weighing a couple different ways of doing it.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:09 am

skywalkers spent a lot of time deciding that font i am sure....
well well well

Return to “Off-topic”