Ask the Podcast

Non-football stuff.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: Ask the Podcast

Postby nzfooty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:10 pm

It's quite sad but at the same time understandable. One of the strengths of the forum (in addition to bringing some good people together w/o the need to have a FB account) is that it is such a good resource. Ideally, it would feed off news & information articles that would bring people in (as it did in the past) but you did an amazing job running the forum even after that was no longer case, by initiating threads with fixtures, tables, results and all sort of interesting shenanigans in the Korean football world. That was a superb effort (in addition to all the behind scenes maintenance required) and greatly appreciated. (I mentioned this once or twice but I really enjoyed reminiscing about Korea here - and despite the odd post that would indicate otherwise, it kept me sane in my post-Korea years in NZ).

I can however, understand how that is not sustainable (I just look at my sister and brother-in-law and what having three kids requires). In addition, it is normal we move on -- I have over the years posted less in the Korean threads and more and more in the Asian and general ones.

All that said, I hope that changwonmatty is right when he says that the forum probably has plenty of life in it yet. I like what paquebot is doing in the K3 threads, providing some facts and figures and if more people could chip in (changwonmatty used do it under his other moniker - though he has been away from the action in NZ) perhaps he will be proven right.

Holyjoe wrote:
nzfooty wrote:
eujin wrote:I've not listened for a while. Are you still doing it? The last time I listened was probably around the last time someone posted on here about it ~ beginning August.

If you're not advertising on ROKfootball you're probably not reaching 80% of your target demographic.

These days every man and his dog has a page on Facebook about their experiences of the K-League. There is no single place where anyone can reach anyone with anything meaningful to say. I hope the lack of "critical mass" will see some people come back but I guess it remains to be seen.

Yeah it's a shame in a way that 'traditional' internet forums are on the wane but then Facebook and Twitter offer a much more centralised online information/discussion experience where people can participate in online discussion about anything from the one starting point. Forums are a great way to structure communities on the internet but they're quite limited in connectivity and expression compared to what social media offers. That's probably what's going to spell the end for ROKfootball as a forum as well in the not-too-distant future I would imagine.

I've noticed a distinct drop off in usage in a number of forums I use frequently over the last few years, mainly Scottish football related ones but even somewhere like Dave's ESL Cafe which I looked in on a couple of weeks ago is a shadow of its former self. Some might say that's a good thing, but ten or so years ago it was pretty much the only location on the internet to discuss English teaching in Korea, now as you say every man and his dog can set up Facebook groups for anything and everything (I'm still a member of the Incheon English Teachers group and I think I was part of a Bupyeong English Teachers group as well as an F-2 Teachers group).

It's a shame really as I like the fact that forums provide a much more organised and structured way of storing information and discussions for a particular subject or topic of interest, however niche, that can then be referenced again in the future. We've got 10+ years of Korean football stuff on here all nicely categorised and relatively easy to look up should you wish to revisit something that happened in the eleventh round of matches during the 2007 National League season (overlooking the fact the search function on this site is shit). I see Facebook and Twitter as more of a 'here and now' platform - you aren't going to get a discussion thread like we have for The "48" going on for more than five years on Facebook.

I've no idea how much longer this forum will stick around for, certainly it would do a lot better if it was part of an overall Korean football news & information site, which of course it used to be until the original contributors slowly started moving on from Korea and not all have retained the interest in Korean football that some of us who keep coming back here have.. until it got to the point where I just couldn't be arsed getting other folk involved or keeping it going. I'd moved on from Korea as well so that made it even more difficult. Back then I had all the time in the world as well to run the forum properly, do all the behind-the-scenes updating etc.. now with three kids running riot I get about seven minutes to myself each day if I'm lucky so the site will pretty much run as-is until it either gets fucked up by interweb goblins once more or everyone leaves :smt006

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:40 pm

Now that we have unravelled StevieW's alleged embezzlement and got Soundcloud back up and running, last week's episode is up. It was recorded live at Sangam so the sound quality is poorer than usual and our grasp of what is going on is weaker than usual.
https://soundcloud.com/48shadesoffootba ... the-bridge

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:39 pm

nzfooty wrote:All that said, I hope that changwonmatty is right when he says that the forum probably has plenty of life in it yet. I like what paquebot is doing in the K3 threads, providing some facts and figures and if more people could chip in (changwonmatty used do it under his other moniker - though he has been away from the action in NZ) perhaps he will be proven right.

Two primary reasons for my drop off in analysing the games:
1. My work schedule was fullon for quite a few years....was working from 10-9 (5 on Friday's) for a long time. While Mr. Banker loves that, at the end of the day all I wanted to do at times was grab a beer and watch some sports highlights.
2. I stopped gambling on the Kleague (was never more than 10 000won and usually on accumulators and never on Gyeongnam)....big believer in using stats to analyse gaps in the market...prototo used to give some decent odds on some games as they released fixed odds a few days before and rarely changed them after some injury news or if the oddsmaker has made a bit of a mistake. After the gambling scandal I stopped gambling on prototo for Korean sports....my analysis of stats and knowledge of players lessened as well.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:40 am

justbecause, you and changwonmatty should hook up for a beer together some day, you seem to have a lot in common.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:29 am

eujin wrote:justbecause, you and changwonmatty should hook up for a beer together some day, you seem to have a lot in common.

I think we have covered this before ;)
ps eujin, I just noticed we have the same post per day ratio :smt023

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:29 pm

nzfooty wrote:
eujin wrote:justbecause, you and changwonmatty should hook up for a beer together some day, you seem to have a lot in common.

I think we have covered this before ;)

It was like seeing a long lost friend again. I thought I should welcome him back.

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:09 pm

I think the former appeared due to myself having a few beers...blast from the past.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:55 am

nzfooty wrote:All that said, I hope that changwonmatty is right when he says that the forum probably has plenty of life in it yet. I like what paquebot is doing in the K3 threads, providing some facts and figures and if more people could chip in (changwonmatty used do it under his other moniker - though he has been away from the action in NZ) perhaps he will be proven right.

Are you sure you're not thinking of HolyJoe? He's supplied some interesting stats about Seoul Martyrs' player pool and which players have figured in milestone matches. I do quite enjoy the atmosphere we have in the K3 thread these days. Even though it's easy to find people making fun of Seoul United we had four forum members attend their match against FC Ryukyu. The same could be said for Martyrs and I wouldn't be surprised to find that Martyrs is the K3 team that's been seen by the largest number of ROKfootball regulars.

I've mentioned the forums here a couple of times on reddit but haven't noticed any strong interest / uptake from users there. I remember originally learning of this site from a post nzfooty made on Dave's ESL Cafe but, as others have said, it may be that folks are getting more of their Korean footballing information via sites like Facebook and Twitter. I hope the forum still has a lot of life left in it as it is a great collection of stats and information. Really we would just need a couple of people interested in each league level to keep interest going. Charlie for the N-League, for example, breathed a lot of life into the league and now that he isn't posting anymore that thread has become a bit of a graveyard. 2015 WK-League: 2 pages. 2015 N-League: 6 pages. 2015 K3 League: 38 pages. 38! I imagine this forum is one of the best places to get info about the K3 in English these days. (Not that there's a lot of competition for that honor ...)

I don't know if people are not finding the forum or if they find it and check information without creating an account. We do get new members joining from time to time and unless it's someone from a commercial site looking for free labor they're generally given any and all help that we can offer.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:11 am

paquebot wrote:

Are you sure you're not thinking of HolyJoe? He's supplied some interesting stats about Seoul Martyrs' player pool and which players have figured in milestone matches. I do quite enjoy the atmosphere we have in the K3 thread these days. Even though it's easy to find people making fun of Seoul United we had four forum members attend their match against FC Ryukyu. The same could be said for Martyrs and I wouldn't be surprised to find that Martyrs is the K3 team that's been seen by the largest number of ROKfootball regulars.

Of course, it goes without saying that what Holyjoe has done in terms of providing figures & stats is more than all of us combined (including K3). However, I thought your occasional posts such as the one below were great:

Two rounds before the end of the season and this is how things look for the teams able to make the play-offs:

Place | Group (PO) | Matches Remaining | Team Points

01| A1 | +1 | Pocheon 65.5 points
02| B1 | +1 | Hwaseong 53 points
03| B2 | +2 | Gimpo 52 points
04| A2 | +2 | Gyeongju 47.5 points
05| A3 | +2 | Paju 45.5 points
06| A4 | +1 | Icheon 43 points
07| B3 | +2 | Yangju 38 points
08| B4 | +1 | Jungnang 37.5 points
09| B5 | +2 | Chuncheon 32.5 points

Group A
03 October
Icheon (A4) vs. Paju (A3)
Gyeongju (A2) vs. Seoul Martyrs
Pocheon (A1) OFF

10 October
Seoul Martyrs vs. Pocheon (A1)
Pyeongchang vs. Gyeongju (A2)
Cheonan vs Paju (A3)
Icheon (A4) OFF

:arrow: Pocheon have A1 wrapped up. Gyeongju look to have A2. Icheon have to beat Paju and hope Paju loses against Cheonan (10th) to qualify for the play-offs. Paju seem favorites to stay as A3. Martyrs will be facing off against Pocheon and Gyeongju in the final two weeks of the regular season. Probably not good for player morale.

Group B
03 October
Yangju (B3) vs Gimpo (B2)
Chuncheon (B5) v Jungnang (B4)
Hwaseong (B1) OFF

10 October
Goyang vs Hwaseong (B1)
Gimpo (B2) vs Chuncheon (B5)
Youngkwang vs Yangju (B3)
Jungnang (B4) OFF

:arrow: I expect Hwaseong to beat Goyang but Gimpo could finish as B1 with 4 points as they have a much better GD than Hwaseong. Even if they lose twice Gimpo are guaranteed a place in the play-offs as their closest rival is 14 points behind. Yangju can afford a loss against Gimpo so long as they beat Youngkwang on the road. Meanwhile, a win for Chuncheon this weekend would destroy Jungnang's play-off aspirations. Two losses for Yangju and two wins for Chuncheon would see Chuncheon finish as B3 while a loss against Jungnang would see them eliminated from contention this weekend.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:23 am

paquebot wrote:I've mentioned the forums here a couple of times on reddit but haven't noticed any strong interest / uptake from users there. I remember originally learning of this site from a post nzfooty made on Dave's ESL Cafe but, as others have said, it may be that folks are getting more of their Korean footballing information via sites like Facebook and Twitter. I hope the forum still has a lot of life left in it as it is a great collection of stats and information. Really we would just need a couple of people interested in each league level to keep interest going. Charlie for the N-League, for example, breathed a lot of life into the league and now that he isn't posting anymore that thread has become a bit of a graveyard. 2015 WK-League: 2 pages. 2015 N-League: 6 pages. 2015 K3 League: 38 pages. 38! I imagine this forum is one of the best places to get info about the K3 in English these days. (Not that there's a lot of competition for that honor ...)

I don't know if people are not finding the forum or if they find it and check information without creating an account. We do get new members joining from time to time and unless it's someone from a commercial site looking for free labor they're generally given any and all help that we can offer.

Ah yeah, Charlie... that was legendary. :)
K3 has reached a point where it should be broken up into more threads.

If you look at the # of views per thread, you can see quite a few people check it out without logging in, so it looks like people are still finding the information on here useful.
I'm no longer in Korea, but still interested in all the developments. Time permitting (this may change soon as my location will be changed for the third time this year), I'm always keen to contribute to the threads around the edges (e.g. Champions League) and the Korean NT.

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:19 am

I will be much more into the Nleague next season and will make an effort to go to every Changwon home game (and a few away games) and keep it up to date......

As Gyeongnam FC travels around the province, once the novelty wears off going to an away game more often than a home one gets old very quickly. This along with the fact that it looks like Changwon is going to break away from Gyeongnam and I would imagine this means Gyeongnam stop playing in Changwon (and probably move to that beautiful stadium in Jinju). While I will also go to all Gyeongnam games played in Changwon, supporting the Nleague club is appealing to me more and more.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Almost time to give the K3 main billing on the forum and dump the K-League and prediction league stuff to the second tier I reckon...

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Episode 35: The Halloween, FA Cup Final, Sake Special...
https://soundcloud.com/48shadesoffootba ... -the-dream

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:54 pm

10 bottles of soju over dinner put paid to recording on our normal night so we grabbed 30 minutes yesterday to put something together...https://soundcloud.com/48shadesoffootba ... 6-sweet-fa

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:30 am

Here is part one of an in-depth interview with Dan Harris, the Eland Assistant Manager. This episode is well worth a listen. Part two will be out next week.

https://soundcloud.com/48shadesoffootba ... dan-harris

Return to “Off-topic”