Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Non-football stuff.
User avatar
just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Changwon

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby just because » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 am

eujin wrote:
just because wrote:I am living in Hauraki near Taranaki on the north shore....

Near Taranaki? Might be a bit of a commute.

One other piece of advice. I once tried to book a ticket to Auckland through a Korean travel agent. She came back after a while with everything sorted and had got me a ticket to Oakland in California.

Looked at google maps..front door of my house to Auckland Uni in 12 minutes by car...seems OK to me as long as its not rush hour (then about 30 mins which is fine too).

My tickets were all booked by me so no confusion there.....in another story I booked a ticket to Athens and ended up in Crete about 15 years ago. Not a bad place to mistakenly end up.

User avatar
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker
Posts: 4957
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Hanover, Germany

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby eujin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:34 am

just because wrote:
eujin wrote:
just because wrote:I am living in Hauraki near Taranaki on the north shore....

Near Taranaki? Might be a bit of a commute.

One other piece of advice. I once tried to book a ticket to Auckland through a Korean travel agent. She came back after a while with everything sorted and had got me a ticket to Oakland in California.

Looked at google maps..front door of my house to Auckland Uni in 12 minutes by car...seems OK to me as long as its not rush hour (then about 30 mins which is fine too).

Have you tried putting Taranaki into google maps?

Anyway, I should probably stop at this point as I'm not helping and I'm sure you've got everything sorted out just fine. njs is your best bet for advice about Auckland as I was only ever a brief visitor there and lived down on the South Island where nzfooty used to live.

User avatar
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 6084
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:58 pm

jb meant to say Takapuna (North Shore), not Taranaki which indeed would be a bit of a commute. Good place to live, in my opinion though I'm being told this summer (so far) is noticeably cooler than last year's. Still better that than those 40+ temperatures they are suffering over in Australia.

njs wrote:
eujin wrote:Yeah, have a great time. New Zealand is awesome. Your post reminded me what a great time I had there, especially when I was first arriving in the middle of summer. I think I found a soccet team before I found a place to live and I couldn't really believe it when my teammates said I needed to get boots with good studs because the ground was rock hard. You're probably already used to the down-under style and Auckland does try a bit too much to be like LA, but it's all good nonetheless.


Depends what burb you're in. Some streets I drive down I think they're convinced they're living in effing Miami. East Auckland is the worst. The waterfront has improved a bit in recent years but still has a way to go.


East Auckland is where I live. Quite enjoy it over here esp. going for a walk to Musick Point or down the beach. That said, I know what njs means.
However, as I live in a flat that until recently served as a medical clinic and have a depot for a backyard I cannot be accused of leading an extravagant lifestyle. :lol:

just because wrote:Is there a winter league as well????? I couldnt find anything on it.


It's not too dissimilar to Australia where you have state leagues below the A-League with no relegation and promotion.

NZ is divided into three zones: Northern (upper North Island, including Auckland), Central (lower North Island, including Wellington) and Southern (South Island).

Northern:
Northern Premier League (you can think of this as the second tier in the
pyramid)
Northern League First Division (3rd tier)
Northern League Second Division (4th tier)

Central:
Central Region Premier League (2nd tier)

Central Federation Premier League (3rd tier for teams in this
region that are not from Wellington) with the winner playing the winner of the Capital Premier League (3rd tier for teams from Wellington) for a place in the 2nd tier division

Capital League First Division (4th tier, with promotion to 3rd tier (Wellington))


Southern:
Mainland Premier League (2nd tier, for Christchurch and upper South Island teams)
Football South Premier League (2nd tier, for Dunedin and lower South Island teams)


Obviously there are leagues below that but it starts to get quite complex to explain and in many cases here you get teams from small township and the reserve teams (3rds, 4ths etc) of the teams that have first XIs in divisions listed above.


Many of the players that play in the ASB Premiership during the summer months find a club in one of those regional clubs for winter.

The Chatham Cup is the national knock-out competition and is played during the winter months (ASB Premiership teams are not eligible because they are franchises, not clubs). It's quite an old competition and MipoFanatic seems to be a fan, despite living in Canada. It can pit high school teams against teams like Central United (that gets a good number of the Auckland City players during the winter months) and which contains some players with European experience. I think eujin played in the Chatham Cup. So it has its charms.

Takapuna AFC are closest to you, with North Shore United also not too far away. Glenfield Rovers, Forrest Hill Milford are also in the vicinity. By coincidence, all those teams played at the 3rd level (Northern League First Division)
last season but since then Glenfield Rovers won promotion and Forrest Hill Milford were relegated.

Any questions, let me know. However, my guess is that this was more information than you ever wanted. :wink:

User avatar
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 6084
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:25 am

Before there is an info overload, this page provides a good overview of how the top divisions in New Zealand has changed over the years.
1970 - 2004 it was clubs in the national league - since 2004 they have been replaced by franchises (with clubs moving
to the 2nd tier (and below)). So again, quite similar to Australia with traditional clubs replaced by A-League franchises.

Btw, you probably already know this but you are very close to the North Shore Events Centre (2-3 min by car) where the New Zealand Breakers play in the (Australasian) National Basketball League. Their other venue, the Vector Arena is located in central Auckland, 5 min walking distance from the buildings where the Law, Politics and International Relations departments are located.

Anyway, good luck with getting the house in order in Korea and I hope you will enjoy living in Auckland. I'm keen for a ROKfootball get-together over a few beers with you and njs if time allows you but I guess we can discuss this once you have settled in. As I mentioned before, do get in touch if I can be of any help. All the best!

User avatar
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker
Posts: 4957
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Hanover, Germany

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby eujin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 am

nzfooty wrote:Anyway, good luck with getting the house in order in Korea and I hope you will enjoy living in Auckland. I'm keen for a ROKfootball get-together over a few beers with you and njs if time allows you but I guess we can discuss this once you have settled in. As I mentioned before, do get in touch if I can be of any help. All the best!

If mervsdamun is still around you guys will be able to have quite an ROKfootball get together down there.

User avatar
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 6084
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 am

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:Anyway, good luck with getting the house in order in Korea and I hope you will enjoy living in Auckland. I'm keen for a ROKfootball get-together over a few beers with you and njs if time allows you but I guess we can discuss this once you have settled in. As I mentioned before, do get in touch if I can be of any help. All the best!

If mervsdamun is still around you guys will be able to have quite an ROKfootball get together down there.


That won't happen in the near future. He is working with his missus for some NGO dealing with refugees entering the EU. The man has strong opinions at times but he backs them up with actions more often than not. ;) Lots of fun on the booze though.

User avatar
just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Changwon

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby just because » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:16 am

nzfooty wrote:Anyway, good luck with getting the house in order in Korea and I hope you will enjoy living in Auckland. I'm keen for a ROKfootball get-together over a few beers with you and njs if time allows you but I guess we can discuss this once you have settled in. As I mentioned before, do get in touch if I can be of any help. All the best!


A shitload of info..thanks mate.
Everything is done here, its just been a matter of killing time and tying up lose ends. My wife wont be leaving for another month yet.

Always keen for a meetup. On both ends I look pretty set but thanks for the offer of help

User avatar
jamesedrupt
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1488
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: Changwon, Gyeongnam.

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby jamesedrupt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:36 am

Best of luck mate.

Looks like its gonna be me now, to hold the fort down at Gyeongnam, now you and Kevin (wolfman) have left for pastures new.

Never knew someone could have so many "going away" soirees. :lol: :lol:

Enjoy doing sweet fuck all (pardon my french) for a few years and see you when you're back on these shores.

User avatar
just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Changwon

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby just because » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:02 pm

jamesedrupt wrote:Never knew someone could have so many "going away" soirees. :lol: :lol:

Enjoy doing sweet fuck all (pardon my french) for a few years and see you when you're back on these shores.

I counted four (one in Seoul, one in Daegu, one in Changwon plus a little drink last Thursday) plus three family farewell dinners..got to do something with all those weekends while I am waiting for the time to come.

Dont know about the doing fuck all part......sure I will be busy, just not teaching.

User avatar
njs
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1722
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby njs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I didn't know nzfooty was out in East Auckland! Me and my wife and daughter have visited Musick pt a couple of times and like it. I'll leave the footie break downs to him though I did have my research hat on to find all that other stuff out for you just because. :-)

I'm in Oratia in West Auckland. Auckland has fairly distinct communities. Roughly you could spilt Auckland into North, South, East, and West. But within those areas there's often quite significant differences. It's a very multi cultural city. The school I teach at has 50+ ethnic groups and we're on the outskirts.

Takapuna is nice. I was at a stag do there a couple of months ago and one of the guys who organised it had hired jet skis and we had a blast out there off the beach on them. It is real shitty for traffic though. In peak hour it's diabolical, you'll need to time your runs to uni. Though there are bus only lanes. I'd suggest if you can afford it buying a shitty car (a couple of grand would be OK) to get around in because public transport in Auckland is very ordinary. It's one of the largest cities in the world physically but is very spread out. It's a car owner city.

If you like scenery and the outdoors it's great. Plenty of regional parks all over the place, fishing, boating, swimming, bush walks ...
Anyang Fo' Life

User avatar
njs
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1722
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby njs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:35 pm

nzfooty wrote:East Auckland is where I live. Quite enjoy it over here esp. going for a walk to Musick Point or down the beach. That said, I know what njs means.
However, as I live in a flat that until recently served as a medical clinic and have a depot for a backyard I cannot be accused of leading an extravagant lifestyle. :lol:


You're just not EAST enough :-)

We go out to Sir Barry Curtis Park now and then for a run around or a bike ride. They're going to add some sports fields to it in the next phase of development which I assume will include some round ball lines marked on the ground.
Anyang Fo' Life

User avatar
just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Changwon

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby just because » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:26 pm

njs wrote:Takapuna is nice. I was at a stag do there a couple of months ago and one of the guys who organised it had hired jet skis and we had a blast out there off the beach on them. It is real shitty for traffic though. In peak hour it's diabolical, you'll need to time your runs to uni. Though there are bus only lanes. I'd suggest if you can afford it buying a shitty car (a couple of grand would be OK) to get around in because public transport in Auckland is very ordinary. It's one of the largest cities in the world physically but is very spread out. It's a car owner city.

If you like scenery and the outdoors it's great. Plenty of regional parks all over the place, fishing, boating, swimming, bush walks ...

On the agenda first week after I get back from aussie is a car...have a budget of about 10 000 dollars so should be able to find something half decent. Sell it on before I leave for a loss of a few thousand. I figure public transportation would be shite, it is in most western cities.

User avatar
Alex43
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2052
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 am

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby Alex43 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 am

i'll probably be ur first visitor... make sure you invest in a NICE COMFY couch....
well well well

User avatar
changwonmatty
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby changwonmatty » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:41 pm

just because wrote:I will miss the Kleague a lot and will check into this place from time to time and hopefully by the time I return Gyeongnam are back up fighting for top half spots again and Changwon FC will have claimed the Nleague title.

Well this first prediction didnt turn out well....but Changwon still might capture the Nleague title.

Did meet nzfooty very soon after I got here (was meant to meet him a couple months ago but not sure what happened) but to be honest completely forgot about njs......first year I was here I was very infrequent but the second year have had a lot more spare time and my mind is turning back to Korea.

Thoughts on Auckland...traffic is surprisingly a nightmare, terrible design and noninvestment in needed infrastructure not helped by its geography, read its the worst in both aus/kiwiland....bloody expensive, food and public transport is more than Tokyo.....to be honest not overly fussed about the city and while great to visit happy to leave.

Thoughts on kiwiland....beautiful country, travelled all over both North and South Island and been to all the major cities....I have travelled many places around the world but South Island drive from Christchurch inland through Queenstown and then onto Milford Sound is the best road trip I have ever done....not an exaggeration to say its breathtaking....highly recommend a trip if you can afford the money (NZ isnt cheap) and the time.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

User avatar
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 6084
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Its been fun guys...see you in a couple of years.

Postby nzfooty » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:47 pm

changwonmatty wrote:Did meet nzfooty very soon after I got here (was meant to meet him a couple months ago but not sure what happened) but to be honest completely forgot about njs......first year I was here I was very infrequent but the second year have had a lot more spare time and my mind is turning back to Korea.


It was really good to see you in Auckland. Apologies for the lack of communication. There was a change in my circumstances since I last wrote and I will be going to Taipei (after all). This change has caused a few delays so I'm still in Wellington and just didn't notice the time go by. I will be in Taipei by Nov 16 so if you are still in Auckland in early November, it would be great to meet up. If not (and since this is on your to-do list), see you in Taiwan -- I think you will really enjoy it there. I will be in touch when I know the precise dates.

As for njs, I left Auckland mid-2014. If I had still been there I would've tried to organise a meeting with him. You weren't a frequent visitor here back then either so I guess it is just one of those things.

changwonmatty wrote:Thoughts on Auckland...traffic is surprisingly a nightmare, terrible design and noninvestment in needed infrastructure not helped by its geography, read its the worst in both aus/kiwiland....bloody expensive, food and public transport is more than Tokyo.....to be honest not overly fussed about the city and while great to visit happy to leave.

Thoughts on kiwiland....beautiful country, travelled all over both North and South Island and been to all the major cities....I have travelled many places around the world but South Island drive from Christchurch inland through Queenstown and then onto Milford Sound is the best road trip I have ever done....not an exaggeration to say its breathtaking....highly recommend a trip if you can afford the money (NZ isnt cheap) and the time.


I liked Auckland for the fact that it is NZ's most multicultural city and that it is warmer than other main centres in NZ. But yeah, the costs of living are horrendous. This is especially true of housing and the property crash can't be far away (food is expensive as well by international standards but not much more than the rest of NZ - in fact at least Auckland has this Asian chain where prices aren't too bad). The traffic is a headache as well (though I got lucky, living near a terminal with a ferry going straight into the CBD).

New Zealand, as you wrote, is a beautiful country. I spent most of my time in NZ living in Christchurch (itself quiet wee place, but with an easy access to many attractive spots around the South Island). This is one of New Zealand's greatest resources and should be managed carefully. I am not convinced it is though.
But a country definitely worth visiting (something I think I could say about a number of other things here).


Return to “Off-topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest