Mobile Future

Non-football stuff.
anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Mobile Future

Postby anamerican » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:02 pm

The future is moving to mobile platforms. The websites of today seem to be behind the times. There's now apps for almost everything.

Take this forum for example. I'm connecting using my phone quite a lot. It's alright, but it would be far better if it had an app OR worked inside an already existing app.

Bingo.

This whole forum would fit nicely inside a couple of groups of Kakao's new Kakao Group app. The only problem would be a public door for the groups. Maybe Kakao will build that next. "public groups".

I recommend any website/forum to consider seriously a mobile future. HolyJoe, start a group on a mobile app. I'd join.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Mobile Future

Postby anamerican » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:43 pm

I can start a Kakao Group for us.
Post news. Pictures. Chat. Great! Who wants to host it?
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:43 am

That can't handle threads though can it?

It'd just be one long group chat....

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:58 am

That is a common assumption, but all news posts allow for comments which means each news item is a new thread.
AnAmerican

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 am

Hmm I did briefly look into a mobile app but it's not something that phpbb forums are really suited for. There might be a way to integrate Tapatalk into the forum but I really don't know if I can be arsed figuring that out, and all the forums that have specific forum apps seem to be through vbulletin boards, who charge an arm and a leg for forum licences whereas phpbb3 is open-source software and therefore free. Free = good. I access the forum quite a bit on my phone as well and I reckon the mobile theme does the job pretty well. I'll sometimes switch to the full forum view on my Galaxy Tab as the mobile view is a bit unwieldy on the bigger screen but I reckon we're pretty well served at the moment.

I don't really know too much about how KakaoTalk Groups work but I don't know if they're much different from Cyworld Clubs, or Daum Cafes, or the myriad different systems that have come and gone in the past. Same with Facebook pages as well. I like the fact that this forum is an indexed, searchable archive on Korean football dating back to April 5th, 2005 (that's the date the admin control panel says the forum went online). If someone really wanted to find out what happened during Round 8 of the second stage of the 2006 K-League season for example then they could turn that information up relatively easily in a forum, I don't know how easily that could be done elsewhere. Which reminds me, I really need to get the thread index file posted in a sticky thread sometime.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 pm

HolyJoe makes a very good point about the forum archive. That's something mobile systems of the future will have to deal with to truly compete with a forum of today.

FREE is always good, and it's also wise to look at the staying power of software. Who knows how long an app will survive?
AnAmerican

Return to “Off-topic”