The ASHES

Non-football stuff.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: The ASHES

Postby eujin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:21 pm

njs wrote:The current England team has 9 foreign born players. That doesn't bother me in the slightest because in this day and age there's so much migration that it's a fact of life. Unless it's out and out poaching by national bodies which I don't think there is a lot of in rugby. Eligibility rules are quite strict.

We went up to watch Sweden play Germany in Hamburg not so long ago and I thought that the eligibility rules were as they always were in rugby when I saw the Swedish teamsheet. I don't know how many of these guys "grew up" in Sweden but they don't sound very Swedish to me and the fact that many of them play for Stockholm Exiles or in the British Isles is suggestive too.

Mark Beveridge
James Darbyshire
Daniel Chamberlain
Daniel Legge
Andrew Daish
Rhys Allen
Sebastian Taylor
Simon Pierce
Conor Murphy
Dustin Eaton
Michael Lynch
Tim McNally
Ian Gowland (c)

They got stomped on by the Germans anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter too much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_national_rugby_union_team

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:33 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:
eujin wrote:Whisper it very quietly, but the British are starting to clean up. The Ashes, the Tour de France, Wimbledon...

Oh I get it. When the English win stuff they're English. When the Scots win stuff they're British.

Good to know.

Steady on. Next you'll be telling me that Natalie Horler and David McAllister aren't British either.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm

3 of the foreign English born players were born in Germany oddly enough.

I think the eligibility rules changed a wee while ago.

The most farcical situation was when Shane Howarth played for the All Blacks, then eventually ended up playing in England and Wales decided they wanted him to play for them because his grand father was born there. He played 19 tests and it was then discovered that his grand dad was born in NZ so he was banned from playing for Wales. Grannygate they called it.

But I know that now once you've played for a nation at full international level then that's that. A recent case was a Blues player - first five (who's name escapes me) who had run on the field for 10 minutes for Fiji a decade ago and never played again for them. He was therefore ineligible to play for NZ because of that. You need to have those black and white rules though or else you get people asking for exemptions and then it all gets a bit farcical. There's been talk of allowing players to move from tier one international teams to tier two or three international teams later in their career to help out those lower nations. But not be able to move in the other direction. I guess there's some merit in that, although it's a fine line between the lower tier one nations and the better tier two nations. For example Samoa is tier two but they have beaten Scotland, Italy, Australia and Wales in the last 2 years. I don't think they need any help in terms of strengthening their playing stocks. They just need more international competition.
Anyang Fo' Life

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:56 pm

njs wrote:I think the eligibility rules changed a wee while ago.

It's still just three years residency though isn't it? Michael Broadhurst who got one of the tries for Japan when they beat Wales recently has been in Japan since 2009.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22909676

I wouldn't mind seeing the Koreans doing something similar to what the Japanese do. Interesting little cultural study for expat-oriented types right there.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm not sure on the residency requirements, I'll go ask mrs. google in a minute.

Residency requirements always favour countries with professional competitions unsurprisingly. You don't get top players from the powerhouses deciding to go live in nowheresville for a few years.

It always smells bad when an adult goes to play professionally in another country and a few years later is repping them.

Out of interest, how many non Korean born internationals have their footie team had? I assume there must be a few randoms. And then to follow up to that has there ever been a non ethnic Korean, or mixed blood Korean rep the national team. I'm sure there have been. Somebody who's half Japanese, or Chinese, or anything more exotic????.
Anyang Fo' Life

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm

eujin wrote:
njs wrote:I think the eligibility rules changed a wee while ago.

It's still just three years residency though isn't it? Michael Broadhurst who got one of the tries for Japan when they beat Wales recently has been in Japan since 2009.

Found this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ja ... -breakdown

"There are three ways a player qualifies to represent a country: through his or her birth, that of parents or grandparents, or residency which requires someone to live in their adopted nation for three successive years."

They should get rid of the grandparents bit, and make the 3 years become 6 years. I lived in Korea for 4 years and I still didn't feel particularly Korean. I don't know what I'd rep Korea in though. Probably drinking. But then I'd hardly even make a local team representing a pojang macha, let alone higher regional or national honours. :drunken:
Anyang Fo' Life

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm

njs wrote:Out of interest, how many non Korean born internationals have their footie team had? I assume there must be a few randoms. And then to follow up to that has there ever been a non ethnic Korean, or mixed blood Korean rep the national team. I'm sure there have been. Somebody who's half Japanese, or Chinese, or anything more exotic????.

Not 100% sure on numbers of either, though Cha Du-ri of course was born in Germany, and a chap called Jang Dae-il went to the 1998 World Cup - he has a British father but I think was born in Korea. He featured in our trivia thread as well. We should get that one back to the top.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Things not going very well for the Aussies today...

Although at currently 46-8 they have already surpassed their lowest Ashes innings score ever (36 in 1902) a match that ended in a draw and them winning the series, so there's always that.

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:20 am

Cricket.....what a boring game....who cares if England wins :D
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

Return to “Off-topic”