Transit visa China question

Non-football stuff.
sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Transit visa China question

Postby sjc_three » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi, was wondering if anyone had any experience of this. When I head back to Europe in the summer I have a 10 hour stop over in Beijing. Does anyone know, do you get some kind of transit visa for long stop overs like that? Would I be able to just head into the city, check out the Forbidden City and stuff? Thanks.

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Transit visa China question

Postby Cyclops » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 pm

I know they have something like that for Shanghai but not sure about Beijing. However, when I went to Africa last year I had to change terminals at Beijing, which involved being stamped into the country without a visa, finding my way to the other terminal and then being stamped back in. Both ways. I didn't even have boarding passes on the way out, just a scruffy internet itinerary showing that I was leaving within 24 hours (I think that's the cut off). I didn't have much time so just went straight to next terminal, but there didn't seem to be anything preventing me from heading wherever I wanted until it was time for my next flight.

As you may know it's either difficult or impossible to get a tourist visa for China in Korea these days if you are on an E2 visa with less than 6 months remaining on your ARC card, so that probably wouldn't be an option (although they waive the 6 month rule if you've had a Chinese visa in the last 2 years for some reason). That was the last I heard anyway.

Dave's ESL cafe is a good place to find out this sort of stuff, often there'll already be a thread with the same question so you don't even need to post...

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:35 am

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

Seems like you are OK without a visa provided you've got a ticket to leave again within 24 hours.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 am

Cheers guys, that's awesome. Time to give my respects to Chairman Mao, methinks! ;)

Incidentally, gotta love the visa fees. American $130. Any other country. $30.
Seriously, wtf?

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 am

sjc_three wrote:Cheers guys, that's awesome. Time to give my respects to Chairman Mao, methinks! ;)

Seriously, wtf?

My understanding is that's what the US charges Chinese citizens, so China matched it. Like a miniature tariff war.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:25 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:
sjc_three wrote:Cheers guys, that's awesome. Time to give my respects to Chairman Mao, methinks! ;)

Seriously, wtf?

My understanding is that's what the US charges Chinese citizens, so China matched it. Like a miniature tariff war.

Good for them I say. I spent two hours in an immigration queue repeatedly listening to the "Welcome to the United States of America" video getting in to the US the other week. On the way back my American colleagues just walzed through as if letting them into Europe was just some sort of technical formality. Not to mention the $14 fee to apply to not need a visa. A little bit of reciprocation wouldn't be a bad thing.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 pm

eujin wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:

Seriously, wtf?

Good for them I say. I spent two hours in an immigration queue repeatedly listening to the "Welcome to the United States of America" video getting in to the US the other week. On the way back my American colleagues just walzed through as if letting them into Europe was just some sort of technical formality. Not to mention the $14 fee to apply to not need a visa. A little bit of reciprocation wouldn't be a bad thing.

I actually missed my flight to Korea because US customs backed everybody up so badly in Toronto all the flights were delayed by an hour that morning. And all I was doing was connecting in Chicago to Asiana.

The government of that country is just getting crazier and crazier. By looking at the way they do "business", if one can call it that, two things strike me:
1) You'd have thought 9/11 was a recent event (It was actually 12 years ago), or that terrorism was an ongoing problem for Americans (they are one of the least affected countries by political violence in the entire world -- in fact, Americans are FAR more likely to be killed by the police than a terrorist).
2) No kidding their economy is in the toilet. When your security policies and foreign affairs are governed by people acting like shrieking teenaged girls at a horror movie, it WILL NOT make your country a better place.

What's far more scary than international terrorism (which is in actuality an insignificant threat) is that governance in the most powerful country in the world is racing headlong towards dimensia.

*Please note that I have NO disrespect or ill-will towards the American people. I shutter to think if people were judged by the actions of their governments!
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Return to “Off-topic”