2011 Rugby World Cup

Non-football stuff.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2011 Rugby World Cup

Postby eujin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:21 pm

It turned out quite neatly in the end with all the Northern Hemisphere teams on one side of the draw and all the Southern Hemisphere on the other.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:09 am

Too bad for Wales, I was really hoping the best for them. It would have been great to see them in the final. Even worse for Sam Warburton, whose parents travelled all the way from Wales after they got through the quarter-final only to see him sent off.

The big trans-Tasman tomorrow. A France-Australia final would be completely miss-able. Come on the ABs!

The IRB have been calling it the best world cup ever. It seems they've forgotten about all the problems at the opening game. But then that was months ago.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:06 am

It is an appropriate climax to the tournament for New Zealand though. They are playing Australia who knocked them out in 1991 and 2003, and if they get past them they will play France who eliminated the ABs in 1999 and 2007.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:59 pm

A nice one to chew over with France losing twice in the group stages but knocking out Tonga even though they lost the head-to-head, going through on rugby's bonus point version of "running up the score" on Canada and Japan.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:11 pm

New Zealand won the World Cup, beating France in the final 8-7. Quite a tense match and the French played better than expected. Seems a lot of people in NZ thought this was going to be a picnic. Overall though, New Zealand deserved this win.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:47 pm

nzfooty wrote:New Zealand won the World Cup, beating France in the final 8-7. Quite a tense match and the French played better than expected. Seems a lot of people in NZ thought this was going to be a picnic. Overall though, New Zealand deserved this win.

Yeah, I was only half watching the first half thinking NZ would power to 20 point or something. The best result in the end,as the French played well and earned respect while New Zealand got the win they so desperately wanted. Congratulations to both teams. Talk about playing like your one point down in the World Cup final with five minutes left though. Phew.

I loved the French response to the haka - holding hands. That's a new one for me. :-)

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:50 pm

And an 80k windfall for me in the sweepstake at work. Lovely jubbly!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:06 am

sjc_three wrote:And an 80k windfall for me in the sweepstake at work. Lovely jubbly!

You got NZ in the sweepstake? Jammy git.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:37 am

Agree eujin, it was the sort of final this tournament deserved. This has been a very professional AB team, with a good degree of humility thrown in. Cannot begrudge them this win. France also deserves acknowledgement. From a team that lost to Tonga to a team that nearly upset the ABs.

Good also to see people around here finally enjoying themselves. While the AB are liked for the type of rugby they play, it cannot be said
that AB fans have had the best of reputations. There is an element that is not very dignified: loss or win. But tonight, what I finally saw was some ** spontaneous ** joy. Lots of people came out on the streets in suburbia and were just happy and celebrated. The best thing about it was that a lot of it (at least initially) was not alcohol fuelled, as most preferred to watch the match sober.

As I said before, I cannot claim to be rugby's no 1 fan, but that was a good team, and from what I have seen in my community, a very positive influence.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:31 am

nzfooty wrote:Good also to see people around here finally enjoying themselves. While the AB are liked for the type of rugby they play, it cannot be said
that AB fans have had the best of reputations. There is an element that is not very dignified: loss or win. But tonight, what I finally saw was some ** spontaneous ** joy. Lots of people came out on the streets in suburbia and were just happy and celebrated. The best thing about it was that a lot of it (at least initially) was not alcohol fuelled, as most preferred to watch the match sober.

As I said before, I cannot claim to be rugby's no 1 fan, but that was a good team, and from what I have seen in my community, a very positive influence.

Are they letting people downtown yet in Chch or is it still off limits?

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:00 am

I was at the game and was shitting myself in the last 10 minutes. Actually I was shitting myself from kickoff as I could see straight away that France weren't going to give us anything. I'd picked a 1 point win to us before the game but it was 24-23, not 8-7! There were plenty of people sitting around us that were losing the plot that I felt like firing a tranquiliser dart into.

The ABs deserved to win, going through unbeaten while France wound up losing 3 of their 7 games but it was a hell of an effort from them. The ABs played about as bad as they could with the ball but as they say it's defense that wins these games. Aussie won it with 1 try in 91, SA with no tries in 95, England with 1 try in 03, and SA for the second time with no tries in 07.

McCaw deserves every accolade he gets.

:smt113
Anyang Fo' Life

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:26 am

I know I'm not supposed to be thinking like this, but are there more black guys on Japan's rugby team than on South Africa's?

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm just noticing that Korea's rugby world ranking (25th) is higher (a lot higher) than their football world ranking (53rd). One way to interpret that is that rugby's importance in Korea relative to the rest of the world is higher than football's importance in Korea relative to the rest of the world.

I don't think I've ever seen a rugby pitch in Korea.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:50 am

eujin wrote:I'm just noticing that Korea's rugby world ranking (25th) is higher (a lot higher) than their football world ranking (53rd). One way to interpret that is that rugby's importance in Korea relative to the rest of the world is higher than football's importance in Korea relative to the rest of the world.

Another way to interpret it would be that most of the world doesn't give a monkey's chuff about rugby.

Korea does have a rugby stadium though, they built one as part of the Asian games. I've always mean to go and watch an Asian five nations game but haven't got round to it yet.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:09 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:
eujin wrote:I'm just noticing that Korea's rugby world ranking (25th) is higher (a lot higher) than their football world ranking (53rd). One way to interpret that is that rugby's importance in Korea relative to the rest of the world is higher than football's importance in Korea relative to the rest of the world.

Another way to interpret it would be that most of the world doesn't give a monkey's chuff about rugby.

It's even worse than that though, as I expect Korea are a lot further away from the semi-finals of the rugby world cup than they are from the semis of the football world cup, despite being a lot further up the rugby rankings.

All this is just grist to the mill. Football is better than rugby.

Return to “Off-topic”