2011 Rugby World Cup

Non-football stuff.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

2011 Rugby World Cup

Postby nzfooty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:09 pm

The 2011 Rugby World Cup starts tomorrow in New Zealand.

I'm not going pretend that I'm rugby's biggest fan, but I don't mind it either. Will follow this tournament closely although Christchurch will not be hosting any matches because of the earthquake. :cry: Hope NZ does well, if for no other reason that the psychological burden of not having won it since 1987 is lifted and NZ can get on with focusing on achieving other things. The most important thing is that the atmosphere is good and people enjoy themselves, no matter what the results are. Very interested in seeing how NZ reacts as a nation to any success or failure (on the field) during this tournament.

Top-2 qualify for the quarter-finals
3rd placed team qualifies for the 2015 World Cup

Pool A

Canada
France
Japan
New Zealand
Tonga

Nice, gentle group for NZ, with France finishing second.
Between Canada and Tonga for the 3rd spot.

Pool B

Argentina
England
Georgia
Romania
Scotland

England and Argentina to go through. Scotland to finish 3rd.

Pool C

Australia
Ireland
Italy
Russia
United States

Australia and Ireland to go through. Italy to finish 3rd.

Pool D

Fiji
Namibia
Samoa
South Africa
Wales

Ooh... this is the hardest group to call. South Africa to win it and Namibia to finish bottom.
Other than that, really difficult to say.

mervsdamun
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Re: 2011 Rugby World Cup

Postby mervsdamun » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:02 am

God, I wish could get out of this country right now. Weeks of Slack Blacks mania until they get dumped out of the tournament by France or Australia followed by a massive, mega-scale hissy fit.

South Africa to win it...

mervsdamun
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby mervsdamun » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:35 am

OMG, so shocked by lack of proper organisation in Auckland. That's the last I complain about poor organisation in Korea.
This was India-level shambolic, with near complete failure of transportation.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10750742
http://www.3news.co.nz/Aucklands-RWC-tr ... fault.aspx

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:15 pm

mervsdamun wrote:OMG, so shocked by lack of proper organisation in Auckland. That's the last I complain about poor organisation in Korea.
This was India-level shambolic, with near complete failure of transportation.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10750742
http://www.3news.co.nz/Aucklands-RWC-tr ... fault.aspx

I think India-level is a bit harsh, but there are more and more negative stories coming out such the mother of one of the All Black's missing the opening ceremony and the first half because of the trains. Looks like thousands of people are going to get compensated for their match tickets.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:23 am

Most people had a great night. It isn't their fault that people still decided to go downtown when it was already FULL. Eggs.

What the organisers have ballsed up is only having one fan area and it's downtown Auckland where you need to use the same buses and trains that the fans going to Eden Park need to use. They should have set up one on the shore somewhere (like the number 2 and 3 fields at Albany, and maybe one at Ellerslie, etc. Nothing huge, just a big screen, some light entertainment, fireworks etc to take the pressure off downtown. That horse has bolted though. The other thing they've ballsed up is pushing the public transport option TOO MUCH when driving and walking or getting dropped off within walking distance is a perfectly viable options.

Anyway, enough dribbling on about small side issue BS that will be long forgotten later.

I nearly took my Scottish flag that was hanging off the deck down after they tried their best to lose to Romania. Namibia played well v Fiji but just had their attack and defense breakdown at key moment. Japan threatened to beat France midway through the second half but then the Frogs pulled away, and England and Argentina bashed the shit out of each other in a ruck cheating, penalty ridden affair.

Although I would love the ABs to win because I'm sick of what fretting over the RWC year after year, and the pervasive effect it has on our game, I'm very concerned because I think out forwards are old, and graham Henry is obsessed with running it from all over the field and that NEVER wins tight matches. Goal kicking does. And to nail them you ned field position.
Anyang Fo' Life

mervsdamun
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby mervsdamun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:21 pm

You have to be kidding right??? The fans were told to go out and enjoy themselves, that the transportation was going to be ready etc., so how is their fault that they did?

Thousands of people to be compensated because the trains couldn't get to the venue.
A doctor friend who was at the fanzone at the Waterfront said the place was only a few hundred short of a Hillsborough type disaster.
A large number of people were taken to the hospital, many after fainting.
The Pacific Islands Forum guests (including Ban Ki-moon) said they were afraid to go out on the streets after the match.
The government invoking EMERGENCY POWERS to take over from the Auckland council in running the fan-zone (not sure if to
laugh about the absurdity of the decision or cry over the undemocratic nature of the action).
All that BS is now backfiring on the government, and some are predicting that this could have a big influence on the election outcome.
Auckland's image tarnished internationally as a business centre.

That said:
Thank god for the NZ media. I like to bitch about them as well from time to time, but they came through this time. They are the only check NZ has on the abuse of executive power.

And:
To my surprise have really enjoyed the matches so far.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:39 am

Really good article from the guardian about why minnow nations should be involved and how the should be more involved in the international game..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/15/rugby-world-cup-2011-namibia

The Namibia coach Johan Diergaardt made a telling point after his side's heavy defeat to Samoa in Rotorua on Wednesday. It was, he said, his side's second big game in four days and their second in four years.

They labour under two handicaps: a lack of exposure to the top nations between World Cups and a schedule in the tournament that forces most of them to play two matches in four days. Television demands that the draw cards are required for weekend action and so Namibia had to take on Samoa four days after facing Fiji. A top tier nation would have blanched at that.

There is little the organisers can do about scheduling. Television pays handsomely for the right to screen matches and it is not going to accept having to do with Canada against Tonga at prime time.

Exposure is another matter. The big boys are hardly going to queue up to give Namibia a home fixture, and not just because it would be a hard sell commercially, but it is not just a matter of giving second tier nations fixtures.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:11 am

just because wrote:Really good article from the guardian about why minnow nations should be involved and how the should be more involved in the international game..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/15/rugby-world-cup-2011-namibia

They labour under two handicaps: a lack of exposure to the top nations between World Cups and a schedule in the tournament that forces most of them to play two matches in four days. Television demands that the draw cards are required for weekend action and so Namibia had to take on Samoa four days after facing Fiji. A top tier nation would have blanched at that.

Don't know what the guardian is on about, top tier nation Scotland are cruising at the top of the league after 2 wins in 4 days. I'm sure they'll blast past Argentina and England too on their charge to world cup glory. :albino:
Bring back King Cha.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:
Don't know what the guardian is on about, top tier nation Scotland are cruising at the top of the league after 2 wins in 4 days. I'm sure they'll blast past Argentina and England too on their charge to world cup glory. :albino:

I have also enjoyed the WC so far but that Georgia v Scotland match sucked a lot of enthusiasm out of me. It was like the Slovenia v South Africa at WC2002 match that was mentioned in the Daegu thread by HJ. The only solution was to get heinously drunk right afterwards to obliterate the miserable feeling and emptiness (rather than any memories which were obviously non-existent).

The schedule is rough on some teams. The groups have 5 teams which does lead to some inconsistencies, plus rugby being a very physically demanding game does require longer time to recover from than football.

No upsets yet, but the matches have been much tighter than expected. I would like to see rugby become more of a global game
as it would make it more interesting. Not sure how likely that is, given the entrenched teams and their attitude.

Not a perfect analogy, but international club football has a bit of the same feel to it.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:25 pm

nzfooty wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:I would like to see rugby become more of a global game
as it would make it more interesting. Not sure how likely that is, given the entrenched teams and their attitude.

Not a perfect analogy, but international club football has a bit of the same feel to it.

I always found rugby a tough sport to be a spectator at, as it's very linear and you really need to be high up above the half-way line to appreciate it fully. Sevens is at least a lot better in that respect. They managed to prove that sevens is enough of a global game to get into the Olympics, although perhaps the British empire by itself was global enough for the Olympics if you swap India and the Caribbean for France and Argentina. The USA has apparently won the most gold medals (two) in Olympic rugby history. I did once score a try in the Danish Second division (just the one career try for me) which should tell you something about how far the game needs to go in Denmark to get to any decent level.

Controversially enough, the world would be a better place if cricket was in the Olympics rather than rugby. We already have enough football variants; with your hands, on ice, in water, with sticks, on sand, etc. It would be good for the world to learn something different for a change, like how to read a weather report.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:07 pm

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:I would like to see rugby become more of a global game

I always found rugby a tough sport to be a spectator at, as it's very linear and you really need to be high up above the half-way line to appreciate it fully. Sevens is at least a lot better in that respect. They managed to prove that sevens is enough of a global game to get into the Olympics, although perhaps the British empire by itself was global enough for the Olympics if you swap India and the Caribbean for France and Argentina. The USA has apparently won the most gold medals (two) in Olympic rugby history. I did once score a try in the Danish Second division (just the one career try for me) which should tell you something about how far the game needs to go in Denmark to get to any decent level.

Controversially enough, the world would be a better place if cricket was in the Olympics rather than rugby. We already have enough football variants; with your hands, on ice, in water, with sticks, on sand, etc. It would be good for the world to learn something different for a change, like how to read a weather report.

eujin, in may ways you are very right. The linear nature of watching rugby at a stadium is a big turn off for me. I took my Korean ex to Carisbrook for a match and she was devastated.

At least, she said, "in football I can point out the slackers" (and get ripped to them, witch she did well).

What was the other problem?

15,000 people that did nothing. A morgue.

So I do see some of your points.

Still, I'd like rugby to better as it is a good game and perhaps it will help NZrs out of their deep depression one day.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:42 pm

nzfooty wrote:What was the other problem?

15,000 people that did nothing. A morgue.

Still, I'd like rugby to better as it is a good game and perhaps it will help NZrs out of their deep depression one day.

Yeah, I was never overly wowed by the atmosphere at AMI-Jade Stadium-Lancaster Park, even for big games in the Super 12-14-15's.

It would be good to see NZ win. God knows the country could do with a party.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Looking forward to Scotland kicking off a week of glorious sporting failure against England.

Scotland with a narrow win, which will knock them out of the tournament, but will at least given everyone the consolation prize of watching New Zealand v England in the QF (if Argentina pump Georgia).

That would surely be amusing to everyone except NZ and England. :wink:
Bring back King Cha.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Jesus, they haven't even reached the quarters yet? Feels like it's been going for on for weeks already (from the minimal attention I've been paying.)

Gas1883
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Gas1883 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:30 pm

sjc_three wrote:Jesus, they haven't even reached the quarters yet? Feels like it's been going for on for weeks already (from the minimal attention I've been paying.)

It's about 2 months long isn't it?
Man imagine the sickies needed to pull off seeing all of it.
Hard to maintain my interest in it when it seems a little drawn out.

Hope England win it though.

At least the time difference is not much of an issue for people watching in Korea, which will be a real bugger when 2012 European Championships roll around.

Return to “Off-topic”