Postby nzfooty » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Yes?

No...

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 pm

Classic.

If they weren't so bloody greedy with the Asian Games being in Korea in the same year they might well have got it. I bet some serious backhanders went round for Russia to win it and a fair few from Korea as well.

I guess there wouldn't be too many countries in the world who would have been able to say they'd had the summer olympics, winter olympics and football world cup all in the space of about 25 years.

I can only think of the US off the top of my head.

Mind you, how many fucken countries does it snow in??
Anyang Fo' Life

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:26 pm

France, in a space of 14 years but that's during the pre WWII days.

Japan comes close with 38 years...
Italy 44...

eh and that's all there is

and yeah USA are on 24

Poor kiddies but to be honest Korea is doing very well on the international events calendar. As you mentioned, they are getting the Asian games in a space of 12 years, they had the World Cup, and the Summer Olympics. I¡¯m pissed off in fact with the fact that Korea got u17 World Cup¡¦ tournaments such as that have been promised by FIFA to smaller nations to make up that joint (senior) World Cup bids would no longer be allowed (so no Belgium/Netherlands, Norway/Sweden type scenarios).

On the other hand, to be fair to Korea, they do have the infrastructure and are always happy to invest in these type of events.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:35 pm

They should bid for 2018¡¦ they lost twice by three or four votes so it hurts but third time lucky, eh?

Though there may be a problem:

Busan to declare bid to host 2020 Olympic Games

http://english.people.com.cn/200511/14/ ... 21062.html

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:12 am

I thought they would win...

It seems the presentation had a big thing to do with it....
The Korean one was a typical Korean we are the centre of the world with a whole lot of Korean flag waving and sentimental crap like peace with North Korea...

the russian one focused on it being a world event and dealt with harder facts on dealing with the environment, competitors,etc...

Of course i am sure the bribes must have felt good in the judges hands which i am sure both sides are guilty of...it seems Sochi might have been more willing to pay.

Just on a side note: The IAAC world athletic championships are on in deagu in 2011 in AUGUST!!!! Whoever decided to hold it in that month is a frigging idiot.

the marathon is going to be a massacre....imagine running 2kms in that heat and humidity,42 kms will be a killer. I am not arguing against giving to the smoggy shithole of Daegu, but why that month???

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:11 am

I thought they would win as well and given their reactions so did they. People are saying that Putin and his constant association with the bid, his presence during the vote made the difference.

Another fact was that Russia, a winter sports superpower never hosted the winter Olympics. This time they had the complete bid from a financial perspective they are in a very good position.

Sentimental crap from Korea? That¡¯s funny because it¡¯s true. Korea is changing but that aspect does not seem to keep up with the other developments. I see that Korea Sparkling thing on CNN plus the other presentation about the Busan-Jinhae free economic zone (plus Gwangyang & Incheon) and they are really making it sound like Korea is technologically superior to Japan and a better place to do business than Hong Kong & Singapore. Well, I hope Korea gets there one day but at the moment I think there are better ways to communicate confidence and encourage investment than making claims that do a look a little silly and over-the-top.

Good point about the timing of the meet in Daegu but I will disagree about it being a hole¡¦

eujin

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby eujin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Four years later to the day and we're at it again. The 2018 selection is tonight in South Africa. This time in the mix are Annecy in France, Munich in Germany and perennials Pyeongchang. I can imagaine a lot of expats in Korea are secretly hoping that Pyeongchang doesn't get it, but having been bombarded by Munich propaganda for the last year or so I feel much the same about the German bid. If Pyeongchang get it in 2018 then it's less likely Busan will get the summer games in 2020.

Pyeongchang apparently ranked the highest in the technical appraisals, the kiss of death for their hopes surely. What I want to know is why isn't somewhere in the Middle East putting in a bid? They haven't had the winter olympics for ages surely.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:44 am

First ballot. Voting OVER! Few minutes to the announcement.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:02 am

And Pyeongchang are the hosts of the 2018 Winter Games!

Go them!
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 pm

No?

Yes!

Kim Yuna is a real star, well done her.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 pm

It is bizarre but I hardly noticed the bid was on....maybe this being the 3rd one everyone was sick of it.

If i didnt read the news (or facebook) today I still would have had no idea....nobody has said anything about it to me all day.

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:50 pm

People in Gangwon are a bit more excited about this, all the usual talk of jobs and what have you. but there will be some nice infrastructure built in Gangwon. A high speed line from Gangneung to Pyeongchang to Wonju ( and to Chuncheon?) will be great, and gives the government an excuse to finish construction for the projects already in progress.

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Crikey, news seems to travel slowly in Gangwon, the folk in the second row don't appear to have got the news yet in that second photo...

Gas1883
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Gas1883 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:08 am

mustoe02 wrote:

Crikey, news seems to travel slowly in Gangwon, the folk in the second row don't appear to have got the news yet in that second photo...

Haha...perhaps the people in row couldn't get a wifi signal...and they say Korea is such a connected country.

Samsung will be rubbing their hands at the successful bid.

I'm sure it'll be a spiffing well run Winter Olympics...but like a ghost town afterwards?????

Good article on the financial times about Pyeongchang if anyone has access to it.
(it was free to view earlier but now their damn site keeps asking me to register...)

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Attended the Winter Olympics in France in...er...92? Went for the downhill - it was boring as shit and we ended up just having a snowball fight amongst each other. Reckon the ice skating would be fun to watch, although imagine tickets will be astronomical for stuff like that. And there's always curling I suppose. All in all, doesn't hold huge excitement for me. It's just not the summer Olympics though, when late night sessions watching little weightlifting and what have you are happy memories indeed!

Return to “Off-topic”