Winter Olympics

Non-football stuff.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby eujin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:14 pm

SteveW wrote:I have barely seen any of these Olympics... wasn't really covered in Bangkok when I was on holiday

I work with an Indonesian woman and she was saying the coverage of the Winter Olympics isn't too great in Indonesia either. What it is with skiing and tropical countries? Why can't they seem to get into it?

Talking of which, Norway, Sweden, Germany and the Netherlands all pull in a pile of medals at the Winter Olympics as per usual. Denmark, for the 134th time in a row, fails to get anywhere near a medal, and comes home with nothing. You'd think somehow the weather wasn't as cold in Denmark as it is in the neighbouring countries, but that definitely isn't the case. Danish people just don't get on well with ice and snow for some reason. They should have a Windy Olympics. Denmark and New Zealand to the fore!

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:27 pm

eujin wrote:They should have a Windy Olympics. Denmark and New Zealand to the fore!

Hey now, New Zealand picked up their second- and third-ever Winter Olympics medals this time around, so they're doing better. Maybe Denmark needs to get into a 'fringe' sport in the future?
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:11 am

paquebot wrote:Maybe Denmark needs to get into a 'fringe' sport in the future?
I don't even know if wind-surfing is an Olympic event, but if it is, and Denmark are shit at it, then my idea isn't really going to work. They're already quite good at sailing, especially the small boats and cycling is a kind of windy event (at least I used to think that cycling home from school in a force 7 gale was like going up Alpe d'Huez). They'd be world champions at windmill climbing and kite acrobatics could be included. What other windy sports are there? Synchronised farting? Now there's a sport where doing the 48 would earn some serious respect.

Competitive pole-sitting is very popular in Denmark. Fringe enough?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Wow, that pole sitting really is competitive. The guy at the end has even brought along his guitar to encourage the other participants to give up.

"And now here's another song by Celine Dion..."

I wouldn't last five minutes.
Bring back King Cha.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:17 am

eujin wrote:
paquebot wrote:Maybe Denmark needs to get into a 'fringe' sport in the future?
I don't even know if wind-surfing is an Olympic event, but if it is, and Denmark are shit at it, then my idea isn't really going to work. They're already quite good at sailing, especially the small boats and cycling is a kind of windy event (at least I used to think that cycling home from school in a force 7 gale was like going up Alpe d'Huez). They'd be world champions at windmill climbing and kite acrobatics could be included. What other windy sports are there? Synchronised farting? Now there's a sport where doing the 48 would earn some serious respect.

Competitive pole-sitting is very popular in Denmark. Fringe enough?

Windsurfing is an Olympic sport and isnt pole-sitting just about who has the biggest bladder?

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:56 am

daeguowl wrote:Windsurfing is an Olympic sport and isnt pole-sitting just about who has the biggest bladder?
The main point of pole-sitting is for newspapers to get away with ass-headlines. Like this young lady whose headline reads "After 96 hours of punishment, my arse is completely buggered." Who wouldn't be tempted to click on an article like that?
As Rothesay points out, for connoisseurs it's mainly a test of mental composure. They get a toilet break every so often. The key skill is not falling into a deep sleep, but cat-napping while keeping your balance.

Return to “Off-topic”