Favourite World Cup moments of all time

Everything else football-wise.

What is your favourite World Cup event of all time?

North Korea beating Italy 1-0 with a great team performance and well taken goal by Pak Do-ik in 1966
No votes
Brazil beating Italy 4-1 through Pele's iconic goal and seemingly effortless attacking play in the final in 1970
No votes
Scotland winning the World Cup with Archie Gemmill in 1978
33%
Cameroon beating Argentina, Romania, Colombia and almost England to reach the quarter-finals with Roger Milla in 1990
33%
Korea living the Hiddink dream and getting to the semis in 2002
33%
Cambiasso's goal for Argentina against Serbia after 25 probing passes in a row in 2006.
No votes
Something else
No votes

Total votes: 3

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Favourite World Cup moments of all time

Postby eujin » Thu May 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Still counting down the days to the World Cup and since the last post was a bit negative I thought we should have a poll about the best World Cup moments of all time.

eujin

Re: Favourite World Cup moments of all time

Postby eujin » Thu May 03, 2018 10:17 pm

I went for Cameroon in 1990. Roger Milla coming out of retirement at age 38, scoring 4 goals in the tournament, winning the penalty and setting up the second goal against England and that dance at the corner flag were all just magical. It was great when they beat Argentina in the opening match, but then they just got better and better as the tournament went on, no mean feat for rank outsiders. 1990 is one of the most underrated World Cups in my opinion.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu May 03, 2018 11:15 pm

I'm genetically obliged to pick the Archie Gemmill goal, although I think you are getting a bit confused, Scotland actually won the World Cup eleven years earlier at Wembley. The World Cup has had some of the best goals of all time scored at it and three that stand out for me are -

1978 - Archie Gemmill's goal against Holland. A bit before my time, but I must have seen it a hundred times, they even have an exhibit at the Scottish National Football museum that recreates it. Brilliant.

1986 - Maradona pretty much single handedly won the World Cup for Argentina in 1986, and he quite literally single handedly scored one of the most iconic goals of all time against England, winning him Tartan Army player of the year.

2006 - Cambiasso finishing off a 25 pass move against Serbia is still one of my favourite goals of all time. It's strange watching it on youtube now, because Guardiola and Barcelona have made such a goal seem almost common place. But at the time it felt like perfection.

James Rodriguez's goal against Uruguay at the last World Cup, David Narey's "toe poke" and the De Boer-Bergkamp goal against Argentina in '98 are all amazing as well.
Bring back King Cha.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Fri May 04, 2018 12:22 pm

My first World Cup was the 1994 USA edition, so quite a few memories from that one stand out to me. Top of the pick is the Saeed Al Owairan weaving run and goal for Saudi Arabia against Belgium in the group stage:

I also thoroughly enjoyed watching Bulgaria's run to the semi-finals. Stoichkov had a great tournament with 6 goals but the diving header from Letchkov against Germany in the quarter-finals is the one that stands out to me the most for Bulgaria:

Also have memories of Roberto Baggio's penalty shoot-out miss against Brazil in the final, the Finidi George 'dog urination' goal celebration, Korea having strong second halves in the tournament to go from 0-2 down to 2-2 against Spain and 3-0 down to 3-2 against Germany, and Ireland's John Aldridge going mental before coming on as a sub against Mexico and scoring moments later.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu May 10, 2018 11:55 pm

I was hoping i might get at least 5 votes. Paquebot, you can vote for "something else" if you're going with 1994.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Fri May 11, 2018 1:00 am

Went with 2002 from the option presented so you've got my vote in the poll now.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat May 12, 2018 12:55 am

Now we need to get Martyrs_Forever to vote. Surely the Reverend Choi has lifted the World Cup at some point in his illustrious career?

Return to “World football”