2016 Olympic tournament

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

2016 Olympic tournament

Postby eujin » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Just because I know how much this tournament means to SteveW....

The men's Olympic football tournament kicks off on Thursday 4th August. Hosts Brazil have never won the gold medal (they've won two bronze and three silver medals including one at the last tournament) so they'll be eager to go and erase memories of 2014. Korea, who won bronze last time around, are in a group with defending champions Mexico, Germany and New Zealand's "conquerors" Fiji. Denmark make a rare appearance and are in a group with South Africa. There's at least one person on this forum who might be interested in that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_tournament

The women's tournament starts a day earlier on the 3rd. There are no Korean teams here, but Zimbabwe make their first ever appearance and these are the full national sides unlike in the men's tournament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Women%27s_tournament

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Re: 2016 Olympic tournament

Postby eujin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Hosts Brazil are going great guns in the women's tournament. They beat Sweden 5-1 with Beatriz getting two goals. She plays for the Incheon Steel Red Angels in the WK-League.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:00 pm

The group stage is over.

Germany put 10 past Fiji, Argentina needed a very late goal to draw with Honduras but they still went out, Japan's win against Sweden wasn't enough for a quarter-final place, but Denmark's 4-0 defeat to Brazil was. The defending champions Mexico are eliminated as they lost to Korea.

Quarter-finals:

Brazil vs Colombia
Korea vs Honduras
Nigeria vs Denmark
Portugal vs Germany

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Have seen none of this tournament yet for various reasons but sat down to watch the Korea v mexico game last night on the BBC only to find they had decided to switch it to Germany Fiji at the last minute.

Hopefully they will show the Honduras game.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:03 am

SteveW wrote:Have seen none of this tournament yet for various reasons but sat down to watch the Korea v mexico game last night on the BBC only to find they had decided to switch it to Germany Fiji at the last minute.

Hopefully they will show the Honduras game.

I watched the second half through the BBC website, there wasn't any commentary, but to be honest that can be a blessing.
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:46 am

Yeah I saw some of the Korea-Germany game via the website and it was quite refreshing to watch just the game and not have commentary droning on over it.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:49 am

Heja Sverige!

Alex Morgan misses in the penalty shootout and the three time defending Olympic champions and World Cup winners USA are out at the quarter-finals. The first real shock of the women's tournament and it's wide open now.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:19 pm

USA keeper Hope Solo keeping things classy after her team was eliminated:

Hope Solo: 'The best team did not win today'

"I thought that we played a courageous game," Solo said. "I thought that we had many opportunities on goal. I think we showed a lot of heart. We came back from a goal down; I'm very proud of this team.

"I also think we played a bunch of cowards. But, you know, the best team did not win today; I strongly, firmly believe that. I think you saw America's heart. You saw us give everything that we had today. Unfortunately the better team didn't win." [...]

"I don't think they're going to make it far in the tournament. I think it was very cowardly. But they won. They're moving on, and we're going home."

Doesn't matter how far Sweden is going to make it, they're going to make it further than the USA. :smt117
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Particularly enjoyable after she "suffered" a glove malfunction just as Lisa Dahlqvist was lining up to take the fifth and decisive penalty and had to stop proceedings to change them. Curiously, she had similar problems just before one of Germany's penalties in the World Cup semi. Maybe she needs to look for a new supplier?

Cheerio, Hope Solo :smt006

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:40 pm

The Australian women need to up their water drinking game:

https://youtu.be/hswd1brp_gE
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 am

The semi-finals are over. Germany laboured their way to a 2-0 win over Nigeria to book their place in the men's final. The last goal managed to be offside twice. And which idiot at Adidas decided that Germany's change kit should be Wehrmacht grey? Brazil thumped Honduras (who beat Korea) 6-0, so it sets up a very interesting "rematch" in the gold medal final. Despite dominating World Cups over the years, neither team have ever won the Olympic tournament. Germany still have a chance to win gold in both football tournaments, although I'd feel bad for Sweden if they missed out on gold now having put out the Olympic champions, World Champions, Pan American Champions and hosts. Only the European Champions left to go now.

Women's final: Sweden vs Germany
Women's bronze match: Brazil vs Canada
(both Friday)

Men's final: Brazil vs Germany
Men's bronze match: Honduras vs Nigeria
(both Saturday)

Return to “World football”