Europe - General 2016-17

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: Europe - General 2016-17

Postby eujin » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:21 pm

England's most successful manager ever. A 100% career record and no goals conceded. Wayne Rooney was captain in every match and he stuck with the 4-3-3 formation throughout. Benefits of a settled team?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:48 am

Who said footballers and football managers were paid too much money these days?

York City FC boss Jackie McNamara convicted of fare-dodging
30/09/16

YORK City Football Club’s manager Jackie McNamara has been convicted of fare dodging and ordered to pay nearly £500 in a fine and other court costs.

McNamara, 42, did not pay the £86 fare for a rail journey between Edinburgh and York on April 11.

At the time, the Minstermen were 23rd in League Two and deep into an ultimately unsuccessful fight to avoid relegation from the Football League.

McNamara has split his time between Edinburgh and York since he was appointed as manager to the Minstermen. His wife and children live in Scotland.

The City manager was summonsed to appear before York magistrates, with an address given in Loanhead, near Edinburgh.

He pleaded guilty to travelling on a railway between Edinburgh and York without obtaining a ticket.

He was fined £250 and ordered to pay a £30 statutory surcharge and £130 prosecution costs.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:53 am

£86?!? F*ck me, the train prices in the UK are ludicrous. In some countries you'd expect a tab that high would have a happy ending...

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:09 am

MipoFanatic wrote:£86?!? F*ck me, the train prices in the UK are ludicrous. In some countries you'd expect a tab that high would have a happy ending...

Dem crazy antipodeans...

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:57 am

RB Leipzig are top of the Bundesliga after they came from behind twice to beat Bayer Leverkusen 3-2 away. They're now three points clear of Bayern who play Dortmund tomorrow. I think we've been following RB on ROKfootball since they were at least in the fifth tier. Somebody decided to redecorate their bus for them before the match tonight, thoughtfully in RedBull corporate colours.

And the Bbc reckons watching Cheltenham is more expensive than watching Bayern. Good news for SteveW then.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:01 am

Scheisse.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:07 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:Scheisse.

It's the first time in five years that someone other than Bayern has been top this late in the season. It's almost Christmas and the league title is still wide open. What is going on? :smt101

MSV Duisburg are top of the third league having scored 14 goals in 15 matches. Their last three matches have all ended 0-0.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Leipzig sign a Scottish bloke, German football improves immesurably.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:26 am

I think it was on the forum before but I can't see it. Why is it RB Leipzig are hated so much. Is it just the fact that they have had a lot of money pumped into them, or did they effectively destroy a smaller club and replace it with a corporate team.

Either way if they make Oliver Burke into the new Gareth Bale and Scotland get to the semi finals of Euro 2020 then I'm for them.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:30 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:I think it was on the forum before but I can't see it. Why is it RB Leipzig are hated so much. Is it just the fact that they have had a lot of money pumped into them, or did they effectively destroy a smaller club and replace it with a corporate team.

It's partly that they bought the league membership of a small club outside Leipzig and moved them in to the city about the same distance that Anyang had to move. The old club remained though, so it wasn't like 80 years of tradition and history went up in smoke like at Austria Salzburg, their home team in Austria. It's also partly because the club is entirely controlled by Red Bull and unlike most clubs in Germany makes it very difficult for fans to become members. The club/corporation has explicitly explained that this is because they don't want traditional fan culture interfering with the club. The board is entirely made up of employees of Red Bull.

But it's mainly because the club represents very directly the corporate marketing model of "modern football" and has touched a nerve not unlike the Qatar World Cup or the Blazers taking over at Man Utd. Lots of supporters' associations and fan clubs have been campaigning against it because they see it as the antithesis of the culture they're trying to keep alive. They're not allowed to call the club RedBull in Germany because that's against the rules, so the RB officially stands for RasenBallsport which sounds almost as daft as something like Lawn-Ballsport.

As I've said to Mipo a few times, I find it hard to get too angry about because something had to be done to stop Bayern winning everything always. It's the first time a team from Saxony has ever been top of the Bundesliga and the first time in 20 years that a team from the former East has come anywhere near. A lot of people in Leipzig have got behind them and their home matches are now very well attended.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:48 pm

FC Copenhagen last night.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 am

There was once a time when if there was one group you could rely on to play every match to win, it was teams from England. Even if there was nothing on the line for them, teams like Leicester would play with pride and passion, giving 100% effort and doing their best, out of a sense of fair play if nothing else.

The world ain't what it used to be.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Bayern fans' banner at Wednesday's match between them and Leipzig.

It reads: "Whether Leipzig, Salzburg or New York, there's no place for you in our sport. Piss off" (Hamad International Airport is in Qatar, just fyi.)

Bayern won 3-0 and are back on the top of the table. I've said what I think about Bayern and Leipzig before, so I'll pass over this one in silence.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm

FIX!!!

No, seriously, FIX!!!!
I'm turning into anamerican.

I'm going to go and watch some German tier 6 at the weekend. Maybe one of the teams there will overturn a 4-0 first-leg deficit and win the second leg 6-1 in the fifth minute of injury time. Or maybe not.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:31 am

Crowd was reported as 96,000 at the Barcelona game, but I counted several hundred empty seats in the 2nd tier and...

Come back anamerican. We miss you!
Bring back King Cha.

Return to “World football”