Europe - General 2015-16

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Europe - General 2015-16

Postby eujin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:15 am

I usually try to avoid Bayern matches, but I'm making an exception today because it's the first match of the Bundesliga season and the draw for the cup is right after. They're 4-0 up against Hamburg, there's no real tension or excitement in the stadium, they've been coasting the whole match, no one's really trying. There's a bit of a song starting now they're 5-0 up but it's all very half-hearted as if everyone has seen it all before a hundred times.

It's awful. It's like trying to watch a recorded match when you already know the result. This must be what watching Barcelona is like, week in, week out. It would bore me to tears. Man United will probably be back to doing this sooner or later. The rest of the teams in the league should just refuse to play them and forefit every match 3-0. Give them a pat on the back, a pile of money for winning the title and then just ignore them.

nzfooty

Re: Europe - General 2015-16

Postby nzfooty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:49 am

Lack of domestic competition, the Europa League is shite, lack of variety in the Champions League... yawn, what has football done to itself?

The next step is probably a proper European league, but even there you are likely to find only a group of 4 or so teams challenging for the title, the a group of also-rans and then a bunch of yoyo-teams. And how will the supporters of some of the bigger clubs (e.g. Benfica) react to their team failing to win most of their matches?

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:45 pm

I don't think the Europa League is shite, especially the earlier rounds. I had a great time down in Liechtenstein watching Vaduz play Estonian Kalju Nõmme and I'd be off to watch FC Midtjylland lose to Southampton if it wasn't the day after I come back from a US trip. In fact, I think they should open up European football to more clubs. It was a lot of fun when Hertha Berlin and Hannover made it through to the group stages - the most interesting thing that has happened to either club for a long time.

It is possible to largely ignore Bayern. I don't work with any of their fans (we do have several Barcelona fans) and they're usually the last team they show on Sportschau so it's easy to just switch off at that point. You can't get tickets for their matches anyway, either home or away, so when a team you follow plays them it's a good opportunity to just take a day off and do something else. If you need to see a match at the Allianz Arena then TSV1860 play there to half the stadium so it's easy. Bayern have been drawn away to Wolfsburg in the second round of the DFB cup and for once there's a good chance we'll get a competition without them for almost an entire year.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:11 am

I posted something during the night but decided to delete it. Sorry, I am repetitive and I go through phases where I dislike football (well, the elite bit anyway). Second weekend of the Premier League and I've already had enough. I still think it's a great sport and always will -- just bits of it irritate the fuck out of me. :smt096
But that's my problem. Football appears to be more popular globally than ever before so someone, somewhere must be doing things right.

I personally like the Europa League as well, and I especially enjoy the early stages of the Champions League. It reminds me of the late 80s when I caught the bug.

However, eujin, if I remember correctly, you once expressed interest in travelling to away matches in Oceania. I doubt we form a majority opinion :mrgreen:

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:24 pm

nzfooty wrote:However, eujin, if I remember correctly, you once expressed interest in travelling to away matches in Oceania. I doubt we form a majority opinion :mrgreen:

True dat.

But my brother is also happy enough with his wide screen TV, Sky Premiership package and supporting Manchester United from across the sea. He's also willing to humour me and come to the odd Danish league match when I'm in town and I think he sees them as somehow connected with each other. Somehow.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:13 pm

You must be pleased about Barcelona losing in the Spanish Super Cup to Athletic Bilbao (only days after they defeated Sevilla 5-4 in the UEFA Super Cup).

Normally that would matter little but they were on the way to picking up six trophies in one calendar year (FIFA Club World Cupbeing the potential sixth, to be played in December)

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:52 am

nzfooty wrote:You must be pleased about Barcelona losing in the Spanish Super Cup to Athletic Bilbao (only days after they defeated Sevilla 5-4 in the UEFA Super Cup).

Normally that would matter little but they were on the way to picking up six trophies in one calendar year (FIFA Club World Cupbeing the potential sixth, to be played in December)

Athletic Bilbao's first title in 31 years and Barcelona were going for six titles in a single year? Well, I can't say I'm unhappy about it.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:58 am

Check out the ADO Den Haag keeper, Martin Hansen's, 94th minute back-heeled equaliser as they draw 2-2 with PSV.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:36 am

eujin wrote:Check out the ADO Den Haag keeper, Martin Hansen's, 94th minute back-heeled equaliser as they draw 2-2 with PSV.

that had some zing on it!
well well well

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:28 pm

eujin wrote:Check out the ADO Den Haag keeper, Martin Hansen's, 94th minute back-heeled equaliser as they draw 2-2 with PSV.

Wow.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Okay. Astana recorded their first point at home against Galatasaray in UEFA Champions league. 2-2. Galatasaray were better in the first half, but Astana were dominant in the second half.

So, we were are not just minnows yet
Blue is the color!

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:56 pm

FC United of Manchester, who were founded by former Man Utd fans and have played friendlies against Bucheon, are playing "our very own" Chesterfield in the first round of the FA Cup on Monday.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:52 am

And Salford City who are owned by former United players just put Notts County out of the FA Cup.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:49 pm

England beat Germany 3-2 in a friendly in Berlin. This means they'll do their usual of getting all excited that they can beat anyone in the world and then flop at the Euros. England weren't that impressive against half-hearted Germans. I turned off at halftime because England didn't look like they were capable of making a match out it.

I'll actually be in Denmark on Tuesday night, although I probably won't get a chance to watch the Scotland match. Both teams beat Euro 2016-bound sides on Friday. It's great that a lot of minnows have qualified for the tournament, but a lot of them really are very weak.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 am

The BBC is reporting that Thailand has completely sold out of Leicester City shirts. The humanity!

Return to “World football”