Scottish football 2015/16

Everything else football-wise.
User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11602
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:12 am

Alright, Aberdeen have shat it and that's Celtic steaming away to the title. Nothing much left to see in Scotland then. Well apart from the merry pantomime that continues to be played out at Ibrox regarding Rangers. Too much to go in to but for a general overview of what's been confirmed in the past few weeks then this Channel 4 news journalist has pretty much summed things up:

Rangers cheated at football: the fraudulent silverware must go
Nov 9, 2015

Cheats get punished in sport. You commit a foul: free kick. Bad foul: yellow card. Dangerous foul: it’s a red. You foul to gain unfair sporting advantages. It is cheating. It is punished.

Let’s widen it a bit. If you cheat off the field of competition you get punished. Lance Armstrong…Ben Johnson…you can add into the familiar rogues’ gallery. Again, the cheating is done to gain an unfair sorting advantage. Again, it is punished.

Let’s widen again a little to group cheating by a team. If you field an ineligible player to gain sporting advantage, you are punished.

So it is that the game is now up for Rangers FC and only a successful Supreme Court appeal can now save them from what must now ensue.

After the biggest organised cheating scandal in the history of Scottish football – probably British football and possibly in British sport for all I know, the former Rangers owners now face at last paying the British state the tax and NI they dodged for all those years.

But that is only one side of the cheating. Because as we know, as Rangers people testified , the club cheated because they want to get an advantage on the football field.

Eh? How do we all know this to be factually true? Why, because of “Mr Black” of course.

The Rangers Tax Tribunal was held in secret because many of those under HMRC scrutiny wanted it that way. So witnesses in the Rangers case testified under codenames of colours: Mr Red, Mr Yellow and so forth – all a bit Reservoir Dogs meets Extreme Cluedo for Suits.

Step forward “Mr Black”.

Here is how the Tax Tribunal describes him: “While Mr Black had been involved in ‘signing and selling’ 350-400 players in 20 years of involvement at Rangers, he had not, and could not, because of all his commitments, devote any real time to detailed contractual negotiations. At the start of each football season he would meet with his manager to decide on which players might be possible recruits.”

Who on earth could that possibly be, we wonder? What role for instance did Sir David Murray himself play? We need to know. We have, of course, approached Sir David, but we’ve yet to hear back from him.

Why did this powerful but busy character introduce a scheme of wholesale – and now proven to be unlawful – avoidance of NI and income tax?

Why – so the club could gain advantage on the pitch, of course: sporting advantage. By attracting and keeping players they otherwise could not afford. How do we know?

Because the powerful but talkative “Mr Black” was good enough to spill the beans to the Tax Tribunal: “Mr Black did not consider the Trust as a means of tax avoidance, but rather as a means of retaining and rewarding loyal employees. So far as Rangers was concerned it enabled the Club to attract players who would not otherwise have been obtainable.”

Sporting advantage.

“Mr Black” didn’t see it as a tax wheeze at all, he said, but a football wheeze. Sadly for him if you’re now found to have been cheating the taxman you’re also cheating football – so now his unfortunate admission is a smoking gun

There is more: “As for Mr Black, he denied that the scheme was for tax avoidance in cross-examination, though he went on to describe the scheme as ‘a method of us acquiring, especially football wise, better players in a more cost effective manner than we would be able to do so’; that the club had been ‘very ambitious at that time’; and ‘it was seen as a correct and proper way for us to proceed’; that Rangers ‘have been very successful, because we’ve been able to attract players of a certain standard that, perhaps, we may not have been able to otherwise’.”

One more time: “especially football wise better players in a more cost effective manner”. Sporting. Advantage.

Of course when he said this “Mr Black” thought it was all legal. Sadly for him three Law Lords have now unanimously disagreed in uncharacteristically pungent language.

Rangers – obstructive, unhelpful and evasive, according to the Tax Tribunals – are now found to be tax cheats on an industrial scale by the Law Lords.

Which is why “Mr Black’s” candid admission – Rangers did it to again sporting advantage – now matters so much. His evidence could not be clearer.

When Lord Nimmo Smith’s commission found no such sporting advantage they did so:

1) on the basis that the tax avoidance was legal

2) on the basis of the information they had, though this turned out so much had been withheld from them

The Appeal Court judges have now changed all of that. “Mr Black” now needs to come out and be held to account for cheating at football and income tax. He is far from alone.

It is time Campbell Ogilvie explained his conduct – the man who played a part in the tax avoidance and personally benefited before going on to be SFA President.

It is time Sir David Murray – the conductor of this disastrous orchestration, by overseeing EBTs at Rangers – is similarly held to account for what he did and now, why Rangers did it for advantage on the field: cheating.

Above all, it is time the SPFL members came out from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and beyond to denounce cheating as cheating and take action as fans from Kelso to Thurso are begging them to do.

All the titles and silverware from all the years Rangers cheated at football, as they cheated at tax, must be null and void and wiped from the record.

Let nobody try and tell me it isn’t the same club – I have always said it is and now Rangers have to take the consequence of that reality right on the chin.

Turnbull Hutton RIP – how your godforsaken Scottish game needs you now.

Follow @alextomo on Twitter

User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11602
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 am

Oh and that's just what the old Rangers were up to.. new Rangers are still pissing money up against a wall and need another £2.5m from somewhere to keep the lights on until the end of the season, their chairman Dave King is up for contempt of court next month and could be jailed, founding chairman Charles Green and former owner Craig Whyte are up in court on fraud charges relating to the purchase of the club, and they've still not paid a £250,000 fine they were meant to have paid to the SFA years ago. And they've still got Mike Ashley launching lawsuits against the club and holding a tight grip on the whole retail division.

But not to worry, manager Mark Warburton is targeting million pound signings so it's same old same old with the club's approach to fiscal prudence...

User avatar
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 am
Location: Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby SteveW » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:20 am

Impossible to keep track of all the law suits and counter law suits but it seems more or less certain that everybody in charge of Rangers since about 1990 has been a criminal of some sort.

Ashley is also taking the SFA to court for deeming King fit and proper to run a club despite a long list of black marks to his name which included being a director of the former Rangers that ran the EBT scam and being hunted by tax authorities in South Africa.

Meanwhile Dave King's response seems to have been that if anyone tries to take his titles he'll hunt them down. He's accused other clubs of going against their own best interests by harming Rangers and basically seems to think he and his club are too big too fail and therefore untouchable.

It's a pity St Mirren are too shite to take advantage of them this season and it looks like they'll be back in the Premiership next season if they don't go bust.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

User avatar
Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: Wonju

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:52 am

Holyjoe wrote:Oh and that's just what the old Rangers were up to.. new Rangers are still pissing money up against a wall and need another £2.5m from somewhere to keep the lights on until the end of the season, their chairman Dave King is up for contempt of court next month and could be jailed, founding chairman Charles Green and former owner Craig Whyte are up in court on fraud charges relating to the purchase of the club, and they've still not paid a £250,000 fine they were meant to have paid to the SFA years ago. And they've still got Mike Ashley launching lawsuits against the club and holding a tight grip on the whole retail division.

But not to worry, manager Mark Warburton is targeting million pound signings so it's same old same old with the club's approach to fiscal prudence...


"Rangers boss Mark Warburton is keen on £1million pound man despite the club's cash concerns"

Is it Paul Bernard? :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

User avatar
Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: Wonju

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:56 am

SteveW wrote:
It's a pity St Mirren are too shite to take advantage of them this season and it looks like they'll be back in the Premiership next season if they don't go bust.


Never mind that, it's a pity St Mirren are too shite to take advantage of having two part-time teams in the championship as we hurtle towards the kind of league that only truly crap full time clubs like Dungfermline and the Soapdodgers regularly inhabit. How come everyone else is missing out on armageddon? :roll:
Bring back King Cha.

User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11602
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:
SteveW wrote:
It's a pity St Mirren are too shite to take advantage of them this season and it looks like they'll be back in the Premiership next season if they don't go bust.


Never mind that, it's a pity St Mirren are too shite to take advantage of having two part-time teams in the championship as we hurtle towards the kind of league that only truly crap full time clubs like Dungfermline and the Soapdodgers regularly inhabit. How come everyone else is missing out on armageddon? :roll:


£3.99 heading your way for naming rights to the stadium so that's something at least. Whatever they end up calling it (The Paisley Stadium seems to be the suggestion) it can never be as bad as Dumbarton's "Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium" or Livingston's "Toni Macaroni Arena" :-)

User avatar
Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: Wonju

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:31 am

Holyjoe wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:
SteveW wrote:
It's a pity St Mirren are too shite to take advantage of them this season and it looks like they'll be back in the Premiership next season if they don't go bust.


Never mind that, it's a pity St Mirren are too shite to take advantage of having two part-time teams in the championship as we hurtle towards the kind of league that only truly crap full time clubs like Dungfermline and the Soapdodgers regularly inhabit. How come everyone else is missing out on armageddon? :roll:


£3.99 heading your way for naming rights to the stadium so that's something at least. Whatever they end up calling it (The Paisley Stadium seems to be the suggestion) it can never be as bad as Dumbarton's "Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium" or Livingston's "Toni Macaroni Arena" :-)


It's a pretty good deal by the sounds of it. Name the stadium after town and pick up decent money. Sure the club will find some way to cock it up, like when we lent our stadium to Celtic for a couple of weeks.
Bring back King Cha.

User avatar
eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 5034
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Hanover, Germany

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby eujin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:It's a pretty good deal by the sounds of it. Name the stadium after town and pick up decent money. Sure the club will find some way to cock it up, like when we lent our stadium to Celtic for a couple of weeks.

Are they doing this because there's some law that prevents the town just handing over taxpayer money directly to the club?

There's an ongoing debate in Hanover whether to revert the name of the HDI-Arena back to the original name Niedersachsenstadion (Lower Saxony Stadium). As far as I know, there's no plan for the state of Lower Saxony to pay the club money for this publicity.

User avatar
Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: Wonju

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Rothesay Saint » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:49 am

eujin wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:It's a pretty good deal by the sounds of it. Name the stadium after town and pick up decent money. Sure the club will find some way to cock it up, like when we lent our stadium to Celtic for a couple of weeks.

Are they doing this because there's some law that prevents the town just handing over taxpayer money directly to the club?

There's an ongoing debate in Hanover whether to revert the name of the HDI-Arena back to the original name Niedersachsenstadion (Lower Saxony Stadium). As far as I know, there's no plan for the state of Lower Saxony to pay the club money for this publicity.


Don't think there is any rule to prevent them doing that. I vaguely remember Renfrewshire Council were going to be one of the business members putting up money when the failed fan ownership bid was happening a couple of years ago. However I'd imagine if they started pissing money at us like citizen clubs in Korea, then there would be a few questions being asked.

It's to do with Paisley aiming to be the UK City of culture in 2021, they wanted to rename the football stadium as part of that and so are paying 30 thousand a year to do so.
Bring back King Cha.

User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11602
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:13 am

Some changes announced to the format of the League Cup for next season, however the SPFL do not appear to be very well acquainted with the various points systems employed in South Korean football leagues over the past thirty years...

However, in what the SPFL believes will be a first in world football, all drawn matches will go straight to a penalty shoot-out, with the winner awarded a bonus point.

User avatar
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 am
Location: Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby SteveW » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Shows how much the SPFL know about world football really.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

User avatar
MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender
Posts: 3306
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:52 am

Tasty fourth-round draw for the Scottish Cup:

4 DIVISIONS
  • Motherwell (1) v Cove Rangers (5/Highland)
3 DIVISIONS
  • Stirling Albion v (4) v Inverness Caledonian Thistle (1)
  • Annan Athletic (4) v Hamilton Academical (1)
2 DIVISIONS
  • Dunfermline Athletic (3) v Ross County (1)
  • Airdrieonians (3) v Dundee United (1)
  • Stranraer (3) v Celtic (1)
  • Wick Academy/Linlithgow Rose (5) v Forfar Athletic (3)

Does the Scottish Cup award most of the lower-division sides home advantage like the French Cup, or is this just a coincidence?
Last edited by MipoFanatic on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 am
Location: Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby SteveW » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:15 am

Its a free draw so its just coincidence
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11602
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:33 am

If Linlithgow Rose beat Wick Academy then that one could be bumped up to a three or four division gap - Linlithgow play in the Juniors which is out with the senior league structure, and they play in the East Region of the Juniors which is complicated somewhat by the existence of the East of Scotland Football League (at Senior level) which one could say is slightly higher up on the pyramid than the top Junior league as it directly feeds in to the Lowland League. There is no such 'second tier' for the Lowland League in the west of the country so the highest division of the West Region Junior league could be classed as level 6. Confusing much.

Also worth mentioning that one of either East Kilbride (5) or Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale (play in East of Scotland league so level 6) are guaranteed to be in the last 16 of the Scottish Cup as those two have been drawn together. I'd like to think EK will do it, they're my local club and I live about five minutes from where they play and even closer to where they propose to build their new stadium if they get planning permission. So that's them going out then.

User avatar
MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender
Posts: 3306
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:22 am

Holyjoe wrote:EI'd like to think East Kilbride will do it, they're my local club and I live about five minutes from where they play and even closer to where they propose to build their new stadium if they get planning permission.


What's all this about supporting Aberdeen then? :smt079


Return to “World football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest