Scottish football 2015/16

Everything else football-wise.
Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Re: Scottish football 2015/16

Postby Suwonesque » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:40 pm

Kairat was the most popular club during Soviet years and early years of independence. But after few issues at the management level and with the financial dificulties the club relegated to the first division from Premier league a few years ago. But now, looks like the club is back on the track again. They are tied at the top of the league with Aktobe. Almaty is the biggest city in Kazakhstan, and former capital. So, naturally Kairat was, might be still is the best supported team. But i think Aktobe and Astana may be slightly better supported than them now in terms of fanbase.

Just like in Korea, all these clubs are financially supported by local government and mayor's office. Mayor pushes local oil companies to sponsor the club, and companies may get tax benefits in return. Still, major part of club expense is paid by local budget as average fan base of best supported clubs is around 10,000 and tickets dont cover all the expenses.

Tv deal is virtually non-existent as in Korea. But recently the state owned KazSPORT channel was launched just to support & broadcast national sports events. So, we hope there will be a progress in TV deal, as now many of the matches are now live on TV. No kazakh club reached to group stages of uefa europa league or champions league, though every year i see some advance in achievement as they get past the qualifying rounds and reach to play-off. Shakhtyor Karagandy and Aktobe a few years ago were one goal away from group stages.

Astana FC is heavily sponsored club by central government as they want to create a model club (Part of President's multi-sports club). But as global oil price is dropped, they dont wanna pay astronomical figures to lure the foreign players. The best they can bring is eastern Europeans or Russians who are little old or couldnt make to the big European clubs. There are few imports from other Central Asian countries as Kazakhstan is the most advanced among 5 Central Asian republics. (Mostly Uzbek players) Now lots of talk is going on youth development. Dozens of kids were sent to Brazil for soccer schools and some of them now are playing well local league, representing Kazakhstan at National level. One of the kid who went to Brazil signed with Atletico Muneiro, so there is a progress, but slow. We used to get beaten by likes of England, Turkey, Portugal by 5-0 or 6-0 on each Uefa/world.cup qualifying games, but now we are getting beaten by 1 or 2 goals difference. If we dont allow a goal, that is considered as an achievement. I remember one time we had a clean sheet against England at Wembley before half time, and conceded 5 after the half-time. So, we always talked about how we achieved clean sheet at Wembley before half-time, in front of their supporters. That was some achievement on those days.

Coming back to Kairat, I only know 3 of them very well. Captain Baurzhan Islamkhan was considered as a Kazakh version of Iniesta/Xavi once. He is a fine footballer and still young. Had a trial at Russian premier league, but couldnt make any appearance. Zhambyl Kokeev is a national team member, also a fine footballer. And you all may know
Anatoliy Timoshchuk who played for Bayern and Shakhtar on his prime years.

I don't know how strong Aberdeen is, but few years ago Shakhtyor Karagandy gave a good game against Celtic, so you would find Kairat as strong as Shakhtyor Karagandy were at that time.

Regarding how vast the country is, I can create another topic and answer there.
Blue is the color!

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Interesting fact. Stuart Duff played for FC Kairat for two years. And he is from Aberdeen and currently playing for a small club there :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Duff

And apparently he is the first high-profile Scottish player to play in Kazakhstan according to below link. Didn't know Stuart Duff was a so high profile-player back in Scotland.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... Kazakhstan
Blue is the color!

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks Suwonesque, that is very interesting.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Stuart Duff lived up to his surname most of the time he played in Scotland. 'High profile' is probably stretching reality to breaking point. He could walk down the street without being recognised by anyone I'm sure. I would give you the name of a Korean equivalent but if I knew his name he'd be more high profile than Stuart Duff! :)
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:15 am

League's top scorer Gerard Gohou is out of Aberdeen's game because of injury. He definitely won't be featuring in both legs of this tie, so that should be good news for Aberdeen fans.
Blue is the color!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:16 pm

Suwonesque wrote:League's top scorer Gerard Gohou is out of Aberdeen's game because of injury. He definitely won't be featuring in both legs of this tie, so that should be good news for Aberdeen fans.

That is good news. He was the one I was worried about. Out for both legs is a big boost.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Looks like FC Kairat's chairman Kairat Boranbayev is very ambitious this year. Want to reach at least group stages of Europa league. They brought best players from the other teams and bringing Tymoschuk may also help him. They are not sponsored by Railway anymore.

Anyway best of luck for both teams.
Blue is the color!

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:48 am

2-1. Islamkhan's goal was fantastic one. The tie is not over for both teams. Little disappointing result for Kairat after how they played, but very entertaining match for neutrals.
Last edited by Suwonesque on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue is the color!

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:54 am

Suwonesque wrote:2-1. Islamkhan's goal was fantastic one. The tie is not over both teams. Little disappointing result for Kairat after how they played, but very entertaining match for neutrals.

I'd take it if I were a supporter of Aberdeen. Looks like Celtic might make it to the next round as well.

Suwonesque, who do you support in Kazakhstan or are you a fan of Kazakh football in general?
Progress will come if the investment is there. I recall Turkey getting stuffed by England 8-0 (twice I think) in the 80s.
Move forward in time about two decades and they are in the semi finals of the World Cup as well as the Euros.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 am

Aberdeen couldnt get or keep the ball for 20 minutes and ended up 2-0 down. A fear of getting pumped quickly subsided though as they dominated the rest of the half. Second half was much more Aberdeen as Almaty sat back a bit. Fortunate maybe to get the goal but I think on balance they deserved one. Almaty are a good team with some real quality players. Islamkhan's strike from 35 yards is as good as you will see. I can see them scoring at PIttodrie - we've yet to win there this season so it won't be easy to get through but I think bar the first 20 minutes Aberdeen will think they are as good if not a better side than Kairat.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:38 pm

I am yet to read post match report from Kairat's press center, so i should check how optimistic they are for the second leg.

I moved a lot throughout Kazakhstan, didnt stay in one place much. And for last 12 years, I am staying in abroad so I cant say I am fan of a team in Kazakhstan but I will support the national team. My real hometown club is Astana Fc but that is founded when I am here.

Apart from hard core fans of opposite teams, most of the football fans support all Kazakh teams in Europe. So, yesterday almost everyone was Kairat's fan, because the game was live in Tv.

Stadium was full, but most of the stadium were built during Soviyet times so they have a running track and a general purpose stadium. It just kills of fans excitement.

Regarding the investment, right now Astana FC and Kairat Almaty are the two club with solid backbone. I think central government supports Fc Astana so they are in safe hands. After years of struggle, Fc Kairat is now have a rich invester/Owner, but I dont know how much he can spend. He said he is willingly to spend. They created 15 million Usd worth youth Academy and brought Islamkhan, Gohou and Tymoschuk, so might be true. Also the current sponsor of the club is KazRosGas is a Kazakh-Russian joint company, and the owner's previous company. He is super rich if he can spend, but not in the same class with Abramovich or American billionaires.
Once he told in the meeting with fans that he wants to spend and wants to reach at least group stages of European competition. Also they are in talks with Almaty Municipal government to build a new football specific stadium with 30,000 seats.

Compare to Koreans, Kazakhs are more passionate about football. Since the country is so large, it makes difficult for fans to travel for the away games.
Blue is the color!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:39 pm

That away goal was crucial, without that the tie would almost definitely be over and though I reckon having seen the game yesterday we won't do enough to make it through, we're still in with a chance which is something at least.

I'm hoping for a lot of malfunctioning fire alarms at whichever hotel the Kairat players are staying in next week...

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:16 am

I was just looking up air quality on wikipedia and I found this rather impressive picture of Almaty.

That looks about as photoshopped as an image could, but allegedly it's a temperature inversion (they used to happen in Christchurch NZ quite often so I know that they can be quite spectacular.)

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Good job Rothesay didnt take his teddy to Hillsboro yesterday...does a 5-0 win against St Mirren bode well for Eednesday for the coming season or is last week's 4-2 defeat to Scunthorpe going to be more representative?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:36 pm

Rothesay may have topped himself with the news that not only did they get pumped by England's worst team ;) but they are lining up a swoop for Jamie 'Clangers' Langfield as goalie.

Return to “World football”