FIFA corruption allegations

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

FIFA corruption allegations

Postby eujin » Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Do we not have a thread dedicated to FIFA corruption stories? I had a quick look and it seems we have one for the KFA and one about Qatar fielding less foreign players...but nothing recent dedicated to FIFA?

Anyway, both the Swiss and the US seem to be getting tough with FIFA top brass now. They haven't gone after Don Blatterone yet, but they've arrested a number of senior officials including our old friend Jack Warner. I'd like to think that the Swiss police wouldn't go around publicly humiliating people who obviously provide a lot of business for Swiss banks without some very good evidence. I'm not sure I entirely agree with Prince Ali Bin al-Hussein when he says "it's a sad day for football".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32895048

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Re: FIFA corruption allegations

Postby changwonmatty » Wed May 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Calling in all the Euro officials to investigate the 2018 and 2022 bids as well.....lets hope the dominoes dont stop falling until the get to the last one.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Wed May 27, 2015 11:23 pm

The New York Times:

An election, seemingly pre-ordained to give Mr. Blatter a fifth term as president, is scheduled for Friday.

Makes me wonder what kind of effect this will have on the election.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu May 28, 2015 6:47 am

As always, a Scot was way ahead of the game...

McBeth faces Fifa racism inquiry
Monday, 28 May 2007

John McBeth faces a Fifa investigation days before he is due to be made Britain's new Fifa vice-president.

A new ethics committee will investigate McBeth, who stands accused of racism after allegedly suggesting African and Caribbean associations were corrupt.

In his interview with a number of the Sunday newspapers, McBeth described Fifa president Sepp Blatter as a "tricky customer".

He went on to claim some Africa representatives have different ethics from the British "fair play" attitude.

"I know two or three (at Fifa) whom I'd want to count my fingers after shaking hands with them," he said.

"If I come across corruption, I have to expose it. I must try to stay true to my beliefs and hope I don't get seduced.

"By and large, the four British countries know what fair play is and when we are stepping out of line.

"But, as soon as you hit Africa, it's a slightly different kettle of fish. They're poor nations and want to grab what they can.

"I presume the Caribbean is much the same - they just come at it in a different way."

His outburst has provoked an angry response from Concacaf president Jack Warner, who is from Trinidad and Tobago and is one of seven Fifa vice-presidents.

"The entire confederation met and we decided to send a letter of condemnation to Fifa that this is unacceptable.," said Warner.

"Why did he only mention African and Caribbean countries?

"To me, that smacks of racism of the worst kind.

"We all feel deeply insulted and we will support any moves to send him back to Scotland where he belongs."

(More)

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu May 28, 2015 6:58 am

Holyjoe wrote:As always, a Scot was way ahead of the game...

He'd have covered his arse quite neatly on the racism front if he'd also added that Swiss people are known to facilitate all the corruption and tax dodging.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

jack warner reads the onion

Postby Alex43 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhLFDF516Q

how many people fall for this??
well well well

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:35 am

Not what I was expecting a few days after his election:

Fifa: Sepp Blatter to quit as president amid corruption scandal

Sepp Blatter says he will resign as president of football's governing body Fifa amid a corruption scandal.

In announcing his exit, the 79-year-old Swiss has called an extraordinary Fifa congress "as soon as possible" to elect a new president.

Blatter was re-elected last week, despite seven top Fifa officials being arrested two days before the vote as part of a US prosecution.

But he said: "My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody."
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:44 am

Has anyone knocked on Chung Mong-joon's door yet?

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:09 am

Check out John Oliver's FIFA expose this week...brilliant.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6ar3xJL_Q
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:12 pm

paquebot wrote:Not what I was expecting a few days after his election:

There was a Swiss newspaper editor friend of his on German TV the other night (before the resignation) trying to defend him, claiming that he can't be made responsible for everything at FIFA, that FIFA in Zurich was clean, that there was no evidence Blatter himself had done anything wrong, that the media was confusing the public and that he had done a lot for football. It was a mess and the audience wasn't buying it.

I was seriously beginning to entertain the possibility of FIFA breaking up, which was being widely discussed here and politicians were beginning to move to prevent the state broadcasters from paying for FIFA TV rights. People were beginning to mention major FIFA sponsors and the corruption scandal together and this must have made them very nervous.

Unlike some politicians, I doubt they'll let him live peacefully in exile in Chile or Saudi Arabia, although he does still seem to have a lot of support in Switzerland. If the US try to extradite him and he fights it in the Swiss courts it could get interesting.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:32 pm

changwonmatty wrote:Check out John Oliver's FIFA expose this week...brilliant.

Looks like John Oliver needs to drink the BudLite Lime now.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Has anyone knocked on Chung Mong-joon's door yet?

Must just have been the postman delivering him an application form:

Chung Mong-joon declares candidacy for FIFA president
June 03 2015

Former FIFA vice president Chung Mong-joon declared his candidacy for the world's top football job on Wednesday, hours after the embattled Sepp Blatter announced his resignation as head of the scandal-ridden body.

Chung served as FIFA's No. 2 man from 1994 to 2011.

Chung is one of the country's most influential figures in football. He was the Korea Football Association chief from 1993 to 2009 and later became its honorary chairman. A former lawmaker and a scion of the conglomerate Hyundai Group, Chung helped bring the FIFA World Cup to South Korea for the first time in 2002, with Japan as a co-host.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Chung Mong-joon to mull running for FIFA president
June 03 2015

Former FIFA vice president Chung Mong-joon said Wednesday he is considering running for the world's top football job, hours after the embattled Sepp Blatter announced his resignation as head of the scandal-ridden body.

Chung, who served as FIFA's No. 2 man from 1994 to 2011, said he will "listen carefully" to the opinions of international football leaders before making up his mind.

Earlier on Wednesday, Korean time, Blatter announced his resignation at a news conference in Zurich.

FIFA's Audit and Compliance Committee said an election will be held sometime between December 2015 and March 2016. Blatter plans to remain in his post until that election.

He was just re-elected to his fifth mandate last weekend. The election was held two days after seven officials were arrested in Switzerland as part of a U.S. investigation into corruption at FIFA.

So far, American authorities have indicted nine football officials and five sports marketing executives on charges of wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering.

ABC News reported that Blatter was also being investigated by the FBI and U.S. prosecutors, though he hasn't been publicly identified as a target of the probe.

Before the election, Chung, one of Blatter's most vocal critics, released a statement calling on Blatter to resign. Chung said only Blatter's departure from the top football body could save the sport from further disgrace.

Chung said last week while Blatter developed FIFA into one of the world's most powerful sports organizations, it has also become among the most untrustworthy bodies on his watch.

At Wednesday's press conference, Chung called Blatter's resignation "quite disappointing and regrettable."

"As someone who served as FIFA's vice president for 17 years, I feel responsible (for the scandals)," Chung added.

Chung was critical of Blatter's decision to stay on the job until the election, saying he shouldn't be the one leading efforts to clean up FIFA.

"He shouldn't be overseeing finances or elections at FIFA," Chung added. "And people who got their FIFA jobs with Blatter's help shouldn't be running for president."

South Korea came up short in its bid to host the 2022 World Cup, as Qatar won the bid. A separate investigation is underway into FIFA awarding the Middle Eastern country the 2022 tournament, as authorities are trying to determine if corruption allegations involve Qatar's campaign.

Chung said it was "inappropriate" for him to comment on whether South Korea will be in the running if Qatar is stripped of its right to host the event.

Chung is one of the country's most influential figures in football. He was the Korea Football Association chief from 1993 to 2009 and later became its honorary chairman. A former lawmaker and a scion of the conglomerate Hyundai Group, Chung helped bring the FIFA World Cup to South Korea for the first time in 2002, with Japan as a co-host.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:30 pm

I think we need a former player or coach to take over for a while. That's what is needed to regain the confidence of the grassroots at least. If they could persuade Platini or Bobby Charlton or even Luis Figo it would dampen down the uproar. It's basically a coup of the big traditional football countries against everyone else and they probably ought to go with that for a while until things are back on their feet. If they go with the Jordanian guy, who is supposedly backed by UEFA, then even if things do change, the perception of change will take longer.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:00 pm

I wonder what happens next when it becomes clear that world football isn't suddenly going to become a completely different animal when Blatter is gone. All this talk about 'he's ruined the game I love' appears to be complete nonsense - other than being on the fiddle about where the World Cup goes I'm still trying to pin down exactly what Blatter is blamed for and what will change.

Can't help think if USA and England had been beneficiaries of the fiddles then nothing would have been said. If there's a power grab by UEFA then do people expect the people who run the Champions League to be less corporate whores than FIFA?
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Return to “World football”