FIFA corruption allegations

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Re: FIFA corruption allegations

Postby eujin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:14 pm

SteveW wrote:All this talk about 'he's ruined the game I love' appears to be complete nonsense - other than being on the fiddle about where the World Cup goes I'm still trying to pin down exactly what Blatter is blamed for and what will change.

There's lingering anger about the women's World Cup being played on plastic in Canada and Blatter didn't win himself a lot of friends in the West by saying (years ago) that women should play in tighter shorts or that gays should abstain from sex in Qatar. Blatter for a long time has been pretending that there's no problem or down-playing the corruption issues, especially around the appointment of Eckert and the blocking of the Garcia report. Standing for a fifth term in office does make it sound like everything is going swimmingly and yet the image of the game and the organisation is at an all time low.

One of the things the Germans are in a huff about is the one-member-one-vote system whereby Montserrat gets as much say about FIFA things as Germany or the US. Whether this facilitates the kind of deals that the International Whaling Commission is also notorious for, with small nations auctioning their votes to the highest bidder, is open to debate. Blatter has definitely aligned himself with the push to include the smaller nations in committees and panels and has been very successful at getting re-elected.

But you're right. Things aren't necessarily going to change for the better.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:41 pm

I find it hard to believe that the people baying for Blatter's blood care all that much about women's football or even particularly about gay rights so I'm not sure I'm going to accept those as major contributors.

The one member one vote thing seems like an exactly fair system that is only bleated about because the 'big' boys want to dominate and have everything their own way - as we have seen in Europe. And isn't the 'everything depends on your TV appeal and is fiddled in your favour if you make money' exactly what people bleat about when it comes to UEFA and Euro competitions?
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:11 pm

I think you're forgetting how many, and how small, some of the voting members there are in CONCACAF are, and how many of them there are. 41 in total, 3 in North America, 7 from Central America and 31 from the Caribbean. It does bother people that the islands of the former Dutch Antilles can outvote all of North America, by themselves.

Of course there are people in America that hate the fact that every state gets exactly two senators, regardless of population, its just something that rankles some folk. :D

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:25 pm

eujin wrote:One of the things the Germans are in a huff about is the one-member-one-vote system whereby Montserrat gets as much say about FIFA things as Germany or the US.

I've seen this complaint a few places, as well as the reply that moving to votes based on population would see China and India with a lot more voting power than Germany, England, etc.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:22 pm

Sampo wrote:I think you're forgetting how many, and how small, some of the voting members there are in CONCACAF are, and how many of them there are. 41 in total, 3 in North America, 7 from Central America and 31 from the Caribbean. It does bother people that the islands of the former Dutch Antilles can outvote all of North America, by themselves.

Of course there are people in America that hate the fact that every state gets exactly two senators, regardless of population, its just something that rankles some folk. :D

Why does it rankle people though?

In any league system its usually one club one vote. Should Suwon Bluewings get more votes than Bucheon in K-League matters because they are bigger?

I think some countries should be careful what they wish for if it becomes about 'importance' - the USA being one.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:59 am

Its more like the Martyrs and Suwon when talking about nations such as Montserrat.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:04 am

eujin wrote:
changwonmatty wrote:Check out John Oliver's FIFA expose this week...brilliant.

Looks like John Oliver needs to drink the BudLite Lime now.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:19 am

so blatter is now staying on until feb to oversee the new pres elections?? he hasnt been convicted or anything yet, but doesnt come off as a little fishy? if there is to be a new era in fifa, doesnt it need more of a clean slate than blatter floating around threatening everyone he has something on, influencing everyone he gave handouts to, and trying to pursue everyone else int he room who will protect his best interest?
well well well

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:48 am

Bbc: Fifa: Chung Mong-joon wants to replace Sepp Blatter as president
Is this news? For some reason I thought it had already been announced.

I've said before, I think they need someone who was a footballer or manager to take over for a while. King Cha could do it, but I don't think a Korean is necessarily the right person right now. Ban Ki-moon maybe, but not Chung Mong-joon.

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:50 am

eujin wrote:Bbc: Fifa: Chung Mong-joon wants to replace Sepp Blatter as president
Is this news? For some reason I thought it had already been announced.

I've said before, I think they need someone who was a footballer or manager to take over for a while. King Cha could do it, but I don't think a Korean is necessarily the right person right now. Ban Ki-moon maybe, but not Chung Mong-joon.

So which nationalities (or regions) are in, which are out? And would not Chung be better than Platini? I loved him as a footballer but he is proving to be an increasingly controversial figure. Franz Beckenbauer? Some similarities to Platini.

Nationality and years in the office of all the FIFA presidents:
France - 2
England - 12
France - 33
Belgium - 1
England - 6
England - 13
Brazil - 24
Switzerland - 17

Basically like the papacy, dominated by a handful of European countries with the token (white) South American thrown in.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Yes, when things are in a mess (and they are at FIFA) then I think they need a return to basics and someone who enjoys significant footballing respect.

The smaller nations aren't leaving the FIFA gravy train any time soon. The big threat to the world game is the big football countries and the big sponsors going elsewhere. That means someone European or South American really. Compared to the likes of Johansson, Havelange or Blatter, Platini would be the ideal candidate. Bobby Charlton is younger than Blatter and he'd be great. Maybe there's a former referee around who has some admin experience? Collina? Howard Webb?

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:17 am

This is brilliant.

FIFA rankings: Wales could move up to second in the world

Romania: a team of ageing journeymen somehow ranked No7 in the world

This year, Romania have played four games. They’ve drawn 0-0 away to Northern Ireland and beaten the Faroe Islands 1-0.

That, somehow, has earned them more ranking points (786.91) in 2015 than any nation in the world other than Wales (817.58), who have won in Israel and at home against Belgium. Chile, making the foolish mistake of playing more than two games and winning the Copa America, have picked up just 579.37, fewer than Slovakia, England, Albania, Portugal, Argentina, Austria and the Czech Republic.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:30 am

Well then.

Court denies Chung Mong-joon's request to lift ban: FIFA

A Swiss court has rejected a request by South Korean FIFA presidential hopeful Chung Mong-joon to lift a recent ban on him, the world's football governing body said Tuesday, all but ruling out Chung's chances of running in next year's election.

Chung had tried to have his six-year ban lifted temporarily so that he could run in the Feb. 26 election to replace Sepp Blatter as head of the corruption-ridden body. FIFA said the Swiss court found no indication of a defective procedure when FIFA's Ethics Committee handed down the ban on Oct. 8. Chung can appeal the court decision.

The deadline to register as a candidate, with endorsements from five national federations, is Oct. 26. If the ban isn't at least temporarily lifted by then, Chung, a FIFA vice president from 1994 to 2011, won't be able to enter the race.

FIFA's Ethics Committee earlier banned Chung for six years from all football activities "on a national and international level," and also fined him 100,000 Swiss francs ($104,640) for violating FIFA rules during South Korea's bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Chung had been under scrutiny for writing to FIFA executive members in 2010 about creating the Global Football Fund, valued at $777 million during the bid.

In the aftermath, Chung charged that FIFA was politically driven to mete out punishment against him and that he'd appeal the ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Another presidential hopeful, UEFA boss Michel Platini, has been suspended for 90 days.

With two of the big names in the early race banned, FIFA's Executive Committee confirmed Tuesday that the election will take place as scheduled on Feb. 26.

Domenico Scala, chairman of the FIFA Ad-hoc Electoral Committee, said candidacies for FIFA presidency submitted by those under a ban will not be processed. (Yonhap)
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Well, Chung Mong-joon was never the ideal candidate either.

I think eujin will agree now that Platini is also not an ideal candidate.
However, I like his suggestion of a referee getting involved. I would be more inclined towards Collina than Howard Webb.
Webby was a dodgy referee; never really understood why he rose to prominence. That said, he could be different as
an administrator and could act as a bridge between the haves an have nots. Politically, and Englishman will be difficult
to elect and the support might not be there even within UEFA.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:20 pm

nzfooty wrote:I think eujin will agree now that Platini is also not an ideal candidate.

Yes, I agree. The FA have pulled their support and the DFB (German FA) have been under pressure to do the same. The head of the DFB, Wolfgang Niersbach, and Franz Beckenbauer are embroiled in their own scandal over the German bid to host in 2006, so they look to be out of the running too.

It leaves me thinking that they will end up with an interim guy without much power, like a Pope who gets elected on his death bed because the cardinals can't agree. They need someone with clout and experience, but it's not clear where they can get that without skeletons in the closet. I still think it should be a football person, but maybe the sponsors and politicians have other ideas.

Return to “World football”