2015 World Cup

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2015 World Cup

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:17 pm

nzfooty wrote:she is a really elegant, intelligent player. France have seen some favourable reviews in this World Cup, partially because of their style of play. I will quietly admit to supporting them -- something I would never admit to doing with their men's team (at least in their current reincarnation).

She's definitely a quality player. She tends to play on the left and while she hasn't got bags of pace she keeps things ticking over by drifting into the middle and short passing.

I agree entirely with your sentiments about the French team(s), I was even thinking I probably want them to win against Germany in the quarter-final, which is not something I should be admitting too loudly.

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:04 pm

I have been watching a bit of this and have been impressed....caught all the Aussie and Korean group games and I think Korea did about as well as they could....Aussie meanwhile look very good with a very good forward line....that win against Brazil was special....Japan next round but what I have seen there is no reason why Aussie cant go all the way to the final.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 pm

Quarter-finals, ties to be played 26th and 27th of June:

Germany vs France
USA vs China
Australia vs Japan
Canada vs England

There's some good match-ups there. England owe Canada for knocking GB out of the London Olympics. I don't know how they managed to get all three favourites all on the same side of the draw (France, Germany, USA), but whoever comes through on the other side of the draw will have a very good chance of taking the title in the final.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:45 am

Canada must be gutted to lose to an inferior, smaller, slower side with less composure and tactical nouse from a country that has a weaker footballing history.
:smt006

Germany vs France 1-1 (5-4 on pens)
USA vs China 1-0
Australia vs Japan 0-1
Canada vs England 1-2

Semi-finals (to be played 30th June and 1st July)
Germany-USA
England-Japan

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Germany-USA 0-2
England-Japan 1-2

So the final is Japan-USA, just like it was four years ago and just like it was in the 2012 Olympics (did somebody say women's football is predictable?)

It's difficult to see past the US winning on Sunday either. They won deservedly against Germany, despite some creative rule interpretations from the referee and Japan have struggled to create goals all through the tournament. Yuki Ogimi was well marshalled by the England defence and Laura Bassett until her last minute own goal and only our friend Mana Iwabuchi really opened anything up, adding to her late scambled winner against the Aussies, both times as a second half sub. Norio Sasaki needs to start her in the final if they want to cause the US any problems early on.

If the US do win, at least Alex43 and Bora will be happy viewtopic.php?p=65348#p65348 Image

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Agree that the US will be huge favourites but personally hope that Japan will mange to defend their title. The English language press completely ignored them (despite being the defending champions and Olympic silver medallists) so that would highlight their ignorance nicely.

There is also this:

A Japan side who had been a little condescending towards England ended up being really put through their paces and the winger Carney gave the impression she will not cheering them on in Sunday’s final against the USA in Vancouver.

“Their karma, or whatever it is, will get them,” she said
before turning her attention to the legacy the Lionesses trust will be created by their achievement in reaching a semi-final for the first time. “We believed we would come back with a gold medal, we believed we would win the trophy but we haven’t,” she said.

Somewhat amusing to read a moan about someone being condescending in the English press... as for the karma comment, well, no comment.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:35 am

eujin wrote:
If the US do win, at least Alex43 and Bora will be happy viewtopic.php?p=65348#p65348 Image

1, whatever bora wants, she gets
2. if something is said against a bora demand, refer to rule number 1
3. i thought this was put to rest
4. i thought we put this to rest. it was a USA Mens 2014 WC Final victory I was talking about, not a USA (college all star) v Cuba baseball game.
well well well

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Just noticed the Guardian had a live blog in Japanese for the final. One day perhaps in Korean...

Return to “World football”