2018 World Cup qualification

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2018 World Cup qualification

Postby eujin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Eritrea aren't going to the World Cup and most of them aren't going home either.

Eritrea footballers 'gain Botswana asylum' after World Cup qualifier

It be must be impossible to develop a team when that keeps happens. They've lost almost 50 players this way over the past ten years. It's probably just as well they're not playing in a group stage.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:07 am

Scotland were the first UEFA nation to be eliminated in qualification for 2014 I'm sure I remember.. nice to see we're on track to retain that crown for 2018.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:47 pm

I've mentioned this before, but I'm not sure the idea of "taking England fans to Moscow" is a particularly good one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/25/you-wont-want-to-hear-this-but-we-hate-the-english-welcome-to-th/
Instead of admiring English hooligans, people in the Russian community express barely disguised disdain for their diminished fighting ability, propensity to drink, and perceived reliance on a reputation they no longer deserve.
That disdain has been sharpened recently by growing tensions between Russia and the West. “I’ve nothing against ordinary English people, and you might not want to hear it, but I hate the British state. It is one of Russia’s worst enemies,” he said.

While Mr Khuslyutdinov insists that politics are banned from stadiums, he admits he and may others in the movement hold “quite right wing” views that chime closely with those of the Kremlin.
A sign of just how far the convergence of hawkish public ideology with football terrace nationalism came after the now infamous assault on England fans in Marseille Old Port and Velodrome stadium in June.

The discipline, brutality, and obvious preparation of those attacks provoked outrage in Britain, but barely disguised glee amongst some Russian officials in Moscow.

Anyway, once the cricket fans in the Foreign Office and general Guardian readers find out the World Cup is in Russia they'll start kicking up all sorts of moral fuss too. It's probably better for England to just pull out now.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Losing 2-1 against Trinidad & Tobago means the USA won't be playing in the 2018 World Cup. :smt090
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Return to “World football”