Scottish Football 2014/15

Everything else football-wise.
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Scottish Football 2014/15

Postby SteveW » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Well amazingly the new Scottish season kicks off today a full 32 days after Hamilton beat Hibs in the playoff to end the 13/14 league season.

First up is Aberdeen's Europa Cup Pre-qualifying qualifying preliminary qualifying round against Daugava Riga of Latvia. Most people seem fairly confident that they are a middling Latvian side and shouldn't be too difficult to deal with but memories of Skonto Riga will be on Aberdeen fans' minds.

Elsewhere, the Petrofac Training Diddy Cup draw was made for the lower league teams and Hibs have pulled The Rangers out of the hat. Probably not the draw either wanted to start their season although it would be slightly amusing if the Rangers tribute act managed to get promoted back to the SPFL without actually winning the lower-league cup in 3 attempts.

In transfer news, Dundee Utd have sold 'starlet' Ryan Gauld to Sporting Lisbon for a fee reported to be somewhere between 2 and 3m pounds. The 18 year old is reported to have a 60m Euro buyout clause in his new contract which will probably be the source of much amusement when he's getting a free transfer back to St Johnstone in 18 months time.

Not really much other notable transfer action so far, the theme seems to be 'Back to the Future' for a few teams with Rangers trying to recapture then days when they actually were Rangers by bringing back Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd, Killie establishing themselves firmly as relegation favourites by potentially partnering two former Aberdeen strikers in Lee Miller and Josh Magennis and Partick Thistle agreeing to keep former Hearts man Ryan Stevenson away from the decorating game for another season.

The only other question is whether Celtic's new management team can prove to be incompetent enough to actually make the title a contest. It's unlikely.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Scottish Football 2014/15

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:05 pm

A winning start in Europe for Scotland, with Aberdeen beating a Latvian pub team 5-0.

I'm sure that the Riga herald has been busy writing articles about the death of Latvian football, but we better take the positives while we can. It's all down hill from here on in!
Bring back King Cha.

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:37 am

Anyone planning to go to Groningen? I might be heading in the other direction but could be persuaded to go if anyone fancies the trip.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:26 am

Would be tempted by Groningen but don't think I can swing it.

If it was in August rather than July I'd be there.

Incidentally, the Latvians are now under investigation for match fixing which, to be honest, would maybe explain their enthusiasm for getting sent off and giving away penalties.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Celtic get absolutely horsed 6-1 on aggregate by a poor Legia Warsaw side giving hope that the SPL season might be a hell of a lot tighter than it has been in recent years. Their response? To thump Scottish Cup winners St. Johnstone 3-0 away from home in their opening fixture and then crush Dundee United 6-1, a side that in their two previous matches had beaten the Motherwell and Aberdeen sides that finished 2nd and 3rd in the league last season.

Inverness currently sit a point ahead of Celtic in the standings by virtue of having played a game more. The two teams meet in the Highlands on Saturday lunchtime and a Celtic win will put them top, where they will most probably go on to remain until the title is confirmed by the end of March or early April. Roll on 2015/16 for more of the same.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:46 am

Celtic are out of the Champions League AGAIN after losing 1-0 at home to Maribor. No doubt someone is poring over the paperwork as we speak...

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:11 pm

SteveW wrote:Celtic are out of the Champions League AGAIN after losing 1-0 at home to Maribor. No doubt someone is poring over the paperwork as we speak...

They should be ashamed of themselves for participating anyway. Would love it if they got drawn against Warsaw in the Europa league.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:11 pm

I've got myself a ticket for the upcoming match against Germany. Now that Argentina are Scottish World Champions I presume there'll be no need to be digging up the pitch if Scotland win. The last match before the referendum at any rate, trying to think of something bannerwise to get on TV.

Have those of you who follow the Scottish side closely got any pointers about what to look out for? (Other than they're going to lose. I've already been told that.)

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:51 am

It's pretty bad but if the Scotland squad were out having a kickaround in my garden I wouldn't have a clue who most of them actually are. There are a couple who play for Celtic, an Aberdeen player has somehow managed to disguise the fact he plays for Aberdeen to earn himself a call-up (was called up to cover an injury right enough so wasn't a first choice), but most of the rest play for lower league English sides or Premiership relegation-dodgers like Crystal Palace or Manchester United. About the only thing of note I could probably have added was that Scotland will most probably lose but you've already got that. I'll maybe venture that I don't think it'll be an absolute pumping...

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:13 am

Holyjoe wrote:It's pretty bad but if the Scotland squad were out having a kickaround in my garden I wouldn't have a clue who most of them actually are. There are a couple who play for Celtic, an Aberdeen player has somehow managed to disguise the fact he plays for Aberdeen to earn himself a call-up (was called up to cover an injury right enough so wasn't a first choice), but most of the rest play for lower league English sides or Premiership relegation-dodgers like Crystal Palace or Manchester United. About the only thing of note I could probably have added was that Scotland will most probably lose but you've already got that. I'll maybe venture that I don't think it'll be an absolute pumping...

Looking at the two squads its pretty hard to imagine anything other than an absolute pumping.

A defence of Hutton Hanley Greer and Whittaker vs the attack that humiliated Brazil?

Unless Naismith can stick 3 or 4 past Neuer Hummels and Howedes we won't be coming away with even a point.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:21 am

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:38 am

Guten, du weisst, tag, du weisst.

Ich bin, du weisst, Mark, du weisst, McGhee, du weisst.

Ich bin, du weisst, ein grossenincompetentzenfanniebawzen, du weisst.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:18 am

Surely the squad should be packed with stars from the top three of the SPL...get rid of all that mid-table dross from Celtic and Aberdeen...

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:09 pm

daeguowl wrote:Surely the squad should be packed with stars from the top three of the SPL...get rid of all that mid-table dross from Celtic and Aberdeen...

I'd start with filling the squad with people who are actually Scottish! Or at least have been there prior to being picked for the team!

Incidentally only 4 of the squad play for Celtic or Aberdeen - and I think no more than 1 will start the game. Funnily enough I think they are the only 4 that actually play in the SPL.

Likely XI:

McGregor

Hutton
Hanley
Greer (If Martin is out)
Whittaker

Mulgrew
Morrison
Fletcher
McArthur
Anya

Naismith

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 am

'Mid-table dross' Aberdeen's Niall McGinn has managed a goal and an assist for Northern Ireland in a 2-goal comeback against Hungary.

Return to “World football”