Europe - General 2014-15

Everything else football-wise.
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Europe - General 2014-15

Postby SteveW » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:10 am

0 might be the attendance by the time Celtic get back to playing home games at Celtic Park after losing the 'home' leg of their tie with Legia 2-0 at Murrayfield to make it 6-1 on aggregate.

They do drop into the Europa League for their troubles though.

Oh, and according to Wiki Qarabag Agdam moved to Baku a while ago.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:25 pm

SteveW wrote:Oh, and according to Wiki Qarabag Agdam moved to Baku a while ago.

Just because Celtic play at Murrayfield, doesn't mean they're from Edinburgh does it?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:25 pm

eujin wrote:
SteveW wrote:Oh, and according to Wiki Qarabag Agdam moved to Baku a while ago.

Just because Celtic play at Murrayfield, doesn't mean they're from Edinburgh does it?

No, they're from Ireland. ;)
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:06 pm

SteveW wrote:
No, they're from Ireland. ;)

Imagine what could've been then had St Patrick's Athletic eliminated Legia Warsaw in the previous round then!

St Patrick's Athletic gave us a tougher test than Celtic! Legia Warsaw midfielder mocks Champions League opponents

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:45 am

2-3 to Sociedad on the night and 2-5 on aggregate... can't complain too much. Aberdeen gave them a good game tonight and were leading for a decent chunk of the match. Just a pity we got the best team in the pot, I really would have fancied us to beat a lesser side. If we'd had Trnava or hell even Legia Warsaw I think we'd have done better.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 pm

It turned out to be a bit of a disasterous evening all in all. Petty much every Scandinavian team got knocked out except Icelandic Stjarnan, which isn't much use for me getting to a match as they knocked out the easiest team for me to get to in Poland. Even Germany's Mainz got dumped out by Greek Tripoli, although Koo Ja-cheol did get a goal.

The Europa League exclusion zone around me just got considerably bigger. :smt087

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Looks like Celtic are about to sneak back in to today's draw via the back door as Legia apparently played a chap, who should have been suspended, for the final two minutes of the game on Wednesday night and their 2-0 win is most likely about to be given as a 3-0 default victory to Celtic which would then see them go through on away goals.

Wiouldn't be the first time Celtic have had such a reprieve, they were pumped by Sion in the Europa League a couple of years back but had that result overturned when UEFA noticed Sion had played a shedload of ineligible players in that tie.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:46 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Looks like Celtic are about to sneak back in to today's draw via the back door as Legia apparently played a chap, who should have been suspended, for the final two minutes of the game on Wednesday night and their 2-0 win is most likely about to be given as a 3-0 default victory to Celtic which would then see them go through on away goals.

Wiouldn't be the first time Celtic have had such a reprieve, they were pumped by Sion in the Europa League a couple of years back but had that result overturned when UEFA noticed Sion had played a shedload of ineligible players in that tie.

Another one of those bizarre UEFA decisions - they've awarded it to Celtic 3-0 and they now face Maribor in the next round.

Surely Legia will appeal? Seems a very harsh penalty for fielding someone for 2 minutes.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:26 am

Does seem a strange one, especially as the BBC were reporting a similar case with Debrecen where a fine was given as 'it made no impact on the result'.

Same old Old Firm. Always cheating.
Bring back King Cha.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:54 pm

So, they are named after, and claim to be from, a city/town that has kind of not existed for 20 years now. It might be just about time to change the name, me thinks.

Funny that the first ever team out side of Baku to win the national league had to move to Baku.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:29 am

Things not going too well for Mainz and their Korean contingent of Koo Ja-cheol and Pak Ju-ho. They got themselves knocked out of Europe to Greek side Asteras Tripoli and are now also out of the German Cup in the first round to third division Chemnitz. The season hasn't really begun yet and they're already out of two cups with only the league to play for now.

There's also quite a lot of talk in the German media that Son Heung-min might find his Bayer Leverkusen first team place under pressure from 18 year-old German wonderkid Julian Brandt. Brandt was already scoring goals in the Bundesliga at age 17 and started yesterday's cup match at Waldalgasheim, although Son came in off the bench and got himself a late goal in a 6-0 win.

Ki Seong-yong got a goal for Swansea as they beat Man Utd 2-1 at Old Trafford. Might see that one on Korean TV a few times.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Been a while since I've posted, but couldn't let this one pass. I am often finding myself watching games I have little or no interest in, long after I should have gone to bed. Occasionally it pays dividends. Ludogorets Razgrad v Steaua Bucharest last night was one of the craziest finishes to a game I have ever seen in my life.

A penalty shootout is looming, and with almost the last kick of the game the Bulgarian keeper gets himself sent off taking out the Steaua striker with a sliding tackle outside the box. Ludogorets have no subs left and the keeper is almost in tears as he walks off, the consequences for his actions all too clear in his head.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Ludogorets defender, Cosmin Moți, who they signed from Steaua's arch rivals Dinamo where he played for 7 years, immediately volunteers to take the keeper's jersey. The first thing he has to face is the ensuing freekick which he punches clear, with literally the last action in extra time.

Just watching him preparing for the penalties, I should have known something magical was going to happen. To say he looked pumped up would be a colossal understatement. Far from overawed by the situation, he began by taking the first Ludo penalty himself, smashing it home, only for Steaua to score their first as well. Then Ludo missed the next penalty and you would have been forgiven for thinking it was all over. Clearly Moți had other ideas, playing the clown between the sticks, which he did for every penalty, he saved the next Steaua penalty, with a great save to the top right of the goal. From that moment on, the nerves continued to pile up and the next 9 penalties in succession were put away. Finally, with Steaua needed to score to avoid elimination, Rapa crumbled under the pressure and Moți saved his lame effort cuing huge celebrations as he lept up onto the fences to celebrate with the fans, his name written into club folklore for all eternity. I am guessing there will be one or two T-shirts with his name on being sold outside Dinamo's ground for a while now too.

Magnificent stuff.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:04 pm

Great stuff and thanks for sharing. Stories like that can get a little lost in all those endless articles about what LvG has for breakfast etc etc.
Hope Ludogorets get a fun Champions League group: one big team like Real Madrid (for the occasion) and two other they can potentially beat.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:00 am

I guess they were a bit forgiving when it came to him coming 10m off his line before the ball was even kicked :P

Those were the best I could find. I would have loved to see the sending off.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:53 am

OttoSilver wrote:I guess they were a bit forgiving when it came to him coming 10m off his line before the ball was even kicked :P

Those were the best I could find. I would have loved to see the sending off.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2oj57mESAkY

Return to “World football”