Europe - General 2014-15

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Europe - General 2014-15

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Daugava Riga for Aberdeen in the first qualification round of the Europa League. I can't tell you much about them, but if they make it through they are slated to play Groningen, which is a very nice little town in the Netherlands. Horrible souless new stadium on the edge of town with a cinema and all that jazz, but well worth a trip nonetheless.

Holyjoe

Re: Europe - General 2014-15

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:29 pm

We've got previous against sides from Riga, and not in a good way... I think it shows just what UEFA think of teams entering the competition at this stage when you consider that the ties are due to be played a week on Thursday and UEFA have not yet confirmed which way round the two legs of the tie will be played.

Think it's safe to say if we somehow sneak through this tie then we're getting pumped in the Netherlands. Still, always nice to be back in Europe.

Celtic drew KR Reykjavik in the second round of qualifying for the Champions League, their ties will be played at Murrayfield rugby stadium in Edinburgh as Celtic Park is a Commonwealth Games venue and I quite fancy heading over to that one if it's reasonably priced as I've never been to Murrayfield before.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:10 pm

These Latvian Daugava teams aren't very good are they? Not only did Daugava Daugavpils get knocked out be Vikingur, which you could perhaps understand as Vikungur finished a heady 6th in the Faroese league last year, but Daugava Riga also got knocked out by little known Aberdeen, :shock:

Pending a match-fixing inquiry, that must be the shock of the round.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:52 am

eujin wrote:Pending a match-fixing inquiry, that must be the shock of the round.

If Aberdeen make it through to the Europa League group stages then FIFA will have as clear cut a case of match fixing as you're ever likely to see. If we manage to sneak past Groningen there's the small matter of a two legged tie against Real Sociedad waiting in the next round.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Aberdeen through in Europa League

Genuine :shock: at that result, now for a crack at Real Sociedad.

St. Johnstone edged out their opponents FC Luzern on penalties to set up a next round clash with Spartak Trnava, it was just Motherwell who let Scotland down last night by exiting the tournament in extra time against Icelandic side Stjarnan. They had three and a half hours of football against a part time side, were ahead on three separate occasions, and still managed to ship five goals and go out. Second best team in Scotland my arse.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Aberdeen through in Europa League

St. Johnstone edged out their opponents FC Luzern on penalties to set up a next round clash with Spartak Trnava, it was just Motherwell who let Scotland down last night by exiting the tournament in extra time against Icelandic side Stjarnan. They had three and a half hours of football against a part time side, were ahead on three separate occasions, and still managed to ship five goals and go out. Second best team in Scotland my arse.

Pretty shocking from Motherwell given that they were 2-0 and cruising pretty early in the home leg and managed to throw it away.

Saintees did well putting out Luzern. They have a reasonable chance of going through.

Aberdeen looked very good last night in spells especially given how early it is in the season - I guess having pretty much the same eleven as last season helps.

Real Sociedad I can't see us beating ... really could do with Griezman being sold before next Thursday, would playing in the tie cup-tie him? He might be left out in any case if that's the situation. Our only hope might be that its still pre-season for them...

...we really need a left back. Preferably one who can score smashing free-kicks against top Spanish opponents!
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 pm

SteveW wrote:...we really need a left back. Preferably one who can score smashing free-kicks against top Spanish opponents!

I was thinking that.. almost exactly ten years to the day since the world's greatest ever footballer did that. Checked my stats list and July 29th is the big anniversary for that one. Ten years ago, bloody hell.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Aberdeen through in Europa League

Was following the St Johnstone game with interest as was looking likely that they would be playing in Slovakia in the next round (which indeed they are), which is only a hop, skip and a jump from me. Will need to negotiate with the wifey, but reckon that'd made a decent day out.

Congrats on the Aberdeen result. Serious shock beating the cloggies! And a superb away day for your fans now in the Basque country now.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm being overcome by a wave of optimism about this Sociedad game now.

As far as I can make out they've sold their keeper and Griezmann and there's now a story that Vela will miss the game too. Couple that with them being ring rusty having not had a competitive game and barely a friendly and Aberdeen actually looking reasonably good so far.

Cue the 4-0 defeat.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:09 am

I managed to make my way to the Slovan Liberec vs MTK Kosice match. I must be living in one of the only places in Europe that isn't a hop, skip and a jump away from any early round action in the Euro cups.

The Czech side Liberec have a Slovak manager and the Slovak side Kosice have a Czech manager. Nice little ground Liberec have with the rock formation theme like a smaller version of the Braga stadium that featured in the stadium quiz. There was a bit of aggro outside the stadium with the away fans and the Slovak sang some songs that had the word "Cesky" in them a lot, but they also sang some reasonably benign songs too. Liberec were flattered by the 3-0 win. They don't look like they'll be troubling anyone in the group stages if they get there.

Cue them drawing Aberdeen.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:54 am

I know there's every danger that Aberdeen could be on the end of a similar result tomorrow night, but...

Legia Warsaw 4-1 Celtic

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Legia missed two penalties as well for an extra :lol: at the result. Oh my.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 am

Holyjoe wrote:I know there's every danger that Aberdeen could be on the end of a similar result tomorrow night, but...

Legia Warsaw 4-1 Celtic

Shocking result. Polish club sides have had a miserable time in Europe for most of my existence on this planet. Last time they had clubs in the group stages of the Champions League was in mid90s.

It does remind me of the Artmedia result a while ago.

Cool name for a football team, is Artmedia. Almost as good as Crystal Palace.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:18 pm

nzfooty wrote:It does remind me of the Artmedia result a while ago.

Artmedia rozdrvila Celtic. Celtic were rozdrviled. I quite like the sound of that.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:27 am

Holyjoe wrote:I know there's every danger that Aberdeen could be on the end of a similar result tomorrow night, but...

Legia Warsaw 4-1 Celtic

Refusing to gloat until about 10 o clock tonight...could be a sore face tonight - fingers crossed we come away with a close defeat at worst. I'd be happy with 2-1 to be honest.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:40 am

In the Champions League Red Bull managed to squeeze past a Qarabağ Ağdam team from Azerbaijan that according to wikipedia come from a ghost town.

Ağdam (also, Agdam and Aghdam) is a ghost town in the southwestern part of Azerbaijan and the capital of its Agdam Rayon. In July 1993, after heavy fighting, Agdam was captured by the forces of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic during its 1993 summer offensives. As the town fell, its entire population were forced to flee eastwards. In the immediate aftermath of the fighting, the Armenian forces decided to destroy much of Agdam to prevent its recapture by Azerbaijan. More damage occurred in the following decades when the deserted town was looted for building materials. Agdam is currently a ruinous, uninhabited ghost town.

:shock:

So there you go, town of population 0 by the sounds of things. Surely the winner in the stakes for professional team with the lowest population.

Return to “World football”