Leicester City - Champions of England

Everything else football-wise.
SeoulFox
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Leicester City - Champions of England

Postby SeoulFox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Greatest team EVA! How the Glazers must wish they'd hired a manager familiar with winning trophies like Nigel Pearson.

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Leicester City - Champions of England

Postby Evergreen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:51 pm

SeoulFox wrote:Greatest team EVA! How the Glazers must wish they'd hired a manager familiar with winning trophies like Nigel Pearson.

I remember a lot of Leicester fans wanting Pearson out not too long ago. Fickle bunch us footie fans eh?

SeoulFox
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby SeoulFox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Same way some idiots booed MON before he got us promoted. Every club has idiots.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Unfortunately, winning the championship doesn't make you champions of England, in any sense of the term.

But they are champions of the football league. You could even say, "they won the Championship!"
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SeoulFox
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby SeoulFox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:58 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:Unfortunately, winning the championship doesn't make you champions of England, in any sense of the term.

They are champions. They are of England. They are Champions of England.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:13 pm

SeoulFox wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:Unfortunately, winning the championship doesn't make you champions of England, in any sense of the term.

They are champions. They are of England. They are Champions of England.

So Pocheon are Champions of Korea? I think, you'd AT LEAST need to drop the capital 'c'. ;)
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SeoulFox
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby SeoulFox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:So Pocheon are Champions of Korea? I think, you'd AT LEAST need to drop the capital 'c'. ;)

They certainly are and fair play to them. Why drop the capital? We're celebrating.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:50 am

SeoulFox wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:So Pocheon are Champions of Korea? I think, you'd AT LEAST need to drop the capital 'c'. ;)

They certainly are and fair play to them. Why drop the capital? We're celebrating.

Except not so long ago they lost to Wednesday so really Wednesday are the Champions of England.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:06 am

Ah, the Scotland 1967 argument!
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SeoulFox
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby SeoulFox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:29 pm

daeguowl wrote:
SeoulFox wrote:

Except not so long ago they lost to Wednesday so really Wednesday are the Champions of England.

Except we beat you last time we played you. So, once again, we are Champions of England. Perhaps the World!

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 pm

I've always liked the Unofficial Football World Championship and how they've calculated that, I didn't know there was one for English league football on the go as well. Leicester last held the championship when they beat Bradford in early May 2000, however Wednesday immediately deposed them with a 4-0 win one week later so I think that settles that debate ;)

SeoulFox
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby SeoulFox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Indeed. Congratulations to Wednesday. Worthy champions.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Holyjoe wrote:I've always liked the Unofficial Football World Championship and how they've calculated that, I didn't know there was one for English league football on the go as well. Leicester last held the championship when they beat Bradford in early May 2000, however Wednesday immediately deposed them with a 4-0 win one week later so I think that settles that debate ;)

Barnsley took it off them a week later. Kasper Schmeichel was still playing in the tunnels of Old Trafford so it doesn't count.

Is there somewhere that shows who the non-Premiership title holder is? Does Div 1(new) mean Div 1 as it is now or Div 1 as it was then? The last change they have is in 2002. Have Birmingham City held on to the title since then, undefeated? Sounds unlikely.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 pm

eujin wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:I've always liked the Unofficial Football World Championship and how they've calculated that, I didn't know there was one for English league football on the go as well. Leicester last held the championship when they beat Bradford in early May 2000, however Wednesday immediately deposed them with a 4-0 win one week later so I think that settles that debate ;)

Barnsley took it off them a week later. Kasper Schmeichel was still playing in the tunnels of Old Trafford so it doesn't count.

Is there somewhere that shows who the non-Premiership title holder is? Does Div 1(new) mean Div 1 as it is now or Div 1 as it was then? The last change they have is in 2002. Have Birmingham City held on to the title since then, undefeated? Sounds unlikely.

I think those individual stats are for when the unofficial championship was contested by teams playing in Division 1, now the Championship. Presumably Birmingham got promoted at the end of that season and it has been contested in the Premiership ever since. I was thinking about that and whether it would be possible for the title match to drop down the divisions. I suppose it would, they've got Liverpool as current holders so if they were to lose to Crystal Palace and then Palace were to lose to Fulham who would need to be already relegated by that point, then Fulham's first defence of the title would be in the opening fixture of the 2014/15 Championship season. If similar were to happen at the end of next season, whoever was the holder losing to a team that goes on to get relegated again, then it would drop all the way down to League One.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Don't cup matches count? They ought to. Then it could flip all around the leagues (and non-leagues for that matter) from time to time.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Return to “World football”