Oceania News

Everything else football-wise.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: Oceania News

Postby nzfooty » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Do any of you guys have links to NZ and fancy playing for a national team? eujin? Btw, you don't have to be all white.
All Whites seek eligible players from abroad

Since his March appointment, Hudson has been unequivocal on the need for New Zealand to conduct thorough, global reconnaissance in an attempt to uncover any overseas players with Kiwi heritage - and potential to play for the All Whites.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:14 pm

I doubt I'm eligible. I know a Kiwi guy here in Hanover. The first time we played football with him he broke his foot treading on the ball. I can forward his name if you think it will help. :albino:

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:55 am

Amicale came so close to winning this. I am so dissapointed

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:58 am

weka wrote:Amicale came so close to winning this. I am so dissapointed

Very similar to this year's Champions League final involving these two teams, where Amicale took the lead before conceding two goals in the second half.

2014 OFC President's Cup

5th place match: Bodden Town (Cayman Islands) 3-0 Fiji U-20
3rd place match: Singapore U-23 0-3 (Bahrain) Busaiteen
Final: Auckland City (New Zealand) 2-1 (Vanuatu) Amicale

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Auckland City romped home to take the minor premiership in the league..finals series starts in a couple of weeks after one more round of games.

Got to six of the nine home matches this season...very entertaining with some good players, much too good for this level. It helps I suppose to attract good players when they have a chance in playing something that they normally wouldnt get to......they should easily win the finals series, nobody has come close to beating them since they got back from Morocco.

As for the rest of the league...they would struggle in National League most of them...by the way Waitakere are scum.......some of the dirtiest players I have ever seen....one of them purposely kicked in the back of the leg of a guy coming back from a six month leg injury on top of numerous other incidents....seen them three times this season and they are a bunch of thugs.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:20 am

This might be off topic but whatever.

Just talked to Amicale in which Vanuatu had a disasterous hurricane run through.

All team members and staff are safe.

nzfooty

Re: Oceania News - spanking

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Well the Olympic Qualifiers in Oceania (doubling as the Pacific Games) got to a lively start, averaging 16 goals per match.
Only one team qualifies and it's probably fair to say it won't be Micronesia.*

Group A
Jul 3
Federated States of Micronesia 0–30 Tahiti
Fiji v Vanuatu

Group B
Jul 3
New Zealand 2–0 Solomon Islands
Papua New Guinea v New Caledonia

* not an IOC member so not eligible anyway

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Does that score get put down as a FIFA record?
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 pm

changwonmatty wrote:Does that score get put down as a FIFA record?

Not sure if it is a record at this level (u-23) but it is just short of this (you might recall this :wink: )
Australia 31–0 American Samoa (2002 World Cup qualifier)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia ... ican_Samoa

Tahiti are semi-competent and are the current Oceania title holders (went to the Confederations
Cup in Brazil in 2013 where they even managed to score against Nigeria)*

* - lets ignore the scores against Uruguay and Spain for the purposes of this post

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Unlike the greedy Australians, there were seven different players with hat-tricks in Tahiti's win.

I see that New Zealand and Australia are competing in the Pacific Games for the first time ever on a trial basis. Is that something that is driven by the soccer Olympic qualifiers (and rugby sevens?) or something else?

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Not football related:

In July 2014, the Oceania National Olympic Committees announced their members had voted to allow Australia and New Zealand to participate in four sports, on a provisional basis, in the 2015 Pacific Games. The risk of seeing the two wealthy, developed nations dominate the competition had previously prevented their inclusion. They would be allowed to send participants only in rugby sevens, sailing, taekwondo and weightlifting - sports where other Pacific countries had proved sufficiently competitive against them in the past
(Source: Wiki).

See also this article:

Aussies, Kiwis join Pacific Games: IOC pushes for Oceania to have a true continental games

Note that the football competition here will have two separate sets of semi-finals following the group stage.

Olympic Qualifying semi-finals will be played on 10 July, final on 12 July.
Pacific Games semi-finals will be played 15 July, final 17 July.

Actually, two teams in Group A (Fiji and Vanuatu) qualified for the Olympic semis without playing a match as the opponents they were drawn against are not IOC members (Micronesia and Tahiti).

Everyone is eligible for the Pacific Games football semi-finals, except for New Zealand.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:25 pm

nzfooty wrote:Note that the football competition here will have two separate sets of semi-finals following the group stage.

Olympic Qualifying semi-finals will be played on 10 July, final on 12 July.
Pacific Games semi-finals will be played 15 July, final 17 July.

Huh? Is it the same group matches that nominally decide qualification for both sets of semis, minus New Zealand etc? So potentially you could win the Olympic Qualifying final and then be too knackered to do well in the Pacific Games semis? That's quite some schizophrenic tournament. I'm surprised Australia don't send a team that is only eligible to play in the group stage (only to demolish everyone and then bow out early). And if New Zealand can potentially win gold in the sailing, taekwondo etc, then why not in the football? It would make things a lot simpler.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:05 pm

I think a place at the Olympics is the bigger of the two prizes so the focus will be on that first. When I saw the scheduling the first thing that came to my mind was
that most assume NZ will get the Olympic spot, leaving the other top teams to play a consolation tournament for the Pacific Games medals.

As to why football will not be include for NZ and Australia:

sports where other Pacific countries had proved sufficiently competitive against them in the past

Though as Tahiti are the current Oceania champions (and New Caledonia were able to defeat NZ in the semis before losing to Tahiti) you could make the argument that these nations are sufficiently competitive.

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:14 pm

I am in New Caledonia at the moment and football is everywhere. Lots of kids in the park and they are all playing it so the French influence is large...heaps of Paris Saint-Germain jerseys around as well.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:21 pm

nzfooty wrote:Though as Tahiti are the current Oceania champions (and New Caledonia were able to defeat NZ in the semis before losing to Tahiti) you could make the argument that these nations are sufficiently competitive.

Given the tropical heat, a bumpy pitch and a partisan crowd then you could argue that most of those sides would have a chance against New Zealand on their day. Didn't Fiji beat them sometime recently too?

Return to “World football”