Cyprus Cup

Everything else football-wise.
OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Cyprus Cup

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:50 am

I know it is not exactly the glitz and glamour of the high flying K-League Classic, but it is supposedly the most prestigious title in women's football, after the World Cup, of course. It is really sad to see the lack of spectators. For these women it is the equivalent of playing the the UEFA Champions League final and there is almost no one to witness it :cry:

http://www.cypruswomenscup.net/
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Re: Cyprus Cup

Postby eujin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:31 pm

I don't know what you've been reading, but the arguably (strongly arguably) bigger women's tournament is the Algarve Cup in Portugal. And surely the equivalent of playing in the UEFA Champions League Final is playing in the UEFA Champions League Final? I think I wrote on here somewhere that the tickets for the final at Stamford Bridge were very cheap last year, 10 quid for adults. 20,000 turning up isn't bad though. They had 50,000 the year before in Munich. The Olympic tournament is also very important in the women's game as they play the full national sides there unlike the men. 80,000 turned out for the final at Wembley in 2012 and attendances were pretty solid throughout the tournament.

They invite pretty much the same teams every year to Cyprus. There's no World champions Japan, no Olympic champions USA, no European champions Germany, no South American champions Brazil, no Sweden and no Norway, but I'm sure SaintsCanada will be on here soon enough to tell us just how super-duper important the Cyprus Cup is, especially last year. :wink:

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Cyprus Cup

Postby SaintsCanada » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:19 am

The Olympics is #2, without any debate. Then comes the Algarve. Now that I think about it, why do the womens' international teams play so many darn tournaments?

I've literally never heard of the Cyprus Cup. Who would go all the way to crisis-struck, little, hard to get to Cyprus to watch some tinpot tournament? No surprise nobody turned out. And yes, the women's club game is advancing all the time, and they have their own Champions' League.

A Korean player just signed for Chelsea ladies a few weeks ago.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Return to “World football”