Euro 2016

Everything else football-wise.
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Euro 2016

Postby SteveW » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
SteveW wrote:Day just gets worse for weka...after KYD has disappeared, presumed abducted by aliens with a nipple probe (apply via the anus), apparently Casillas has cocked up to give Slovakia the lead against Spain.

Indeed, how the mighty have fallen. They were beaten by a team that had a Ross County player in it.

First qualifying loss in 8 years for Spain apparently.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:Last sixty-five games they have conceded 300 goals and scored seven. About time we had pre-qualifying.

Martyrs? I'm sure they scored more than that. :shock:
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:35 pm

About time we had pre-qualifying.

I would've agreed not so long ago. I have also noticed there is some debate regarding this issue under the clickbait
articles of the online English papers.

There have been some interesting results in the last few days that are being used by ant-pre-qualifying crowd to
support their view. I list them below:
Netherlands 3 - 1 Kazakhstan
(Kazakhstan went ahead, conceded in the 62', had a man sent off at 64' before conceding two goals)
FYR Macedonia 3 - 2 Luxembourg
(Luxembourg were 2-1 in the lead at one stage. In their first match they conceded a late equaliser against Belarus with the match
finishing 1-1)
Italy 2 - 1 Azerbaijan
(Italy's winner came in the 82th... interestingly all 3 goals in this match were scored by Suarez's old pal, Giorgio Chiellini)

I would therefore like to suggest that there are only 3 truly awful teams in Europe:
San Marino, Andorra and Gibraltar

Indeed, San Marino might be the only member of this club. Andorra troubled Wales in the last round, before losing 2-1 while
Gibraltar displayed naivety against Poland. I watched that match and it was only 1-0 in the first half (from a deflected shot)
and the heads dropped once the second went in. They have a 0-0 v Slovakia under their belt (and Slovakia demonstrated
they are no slouches in recent years).

Does warrant pre-qualifying? It will be interesting to see how the new Nations League
develops. It might be that the EUROs become the equivalent of a "cup" competition (and they were indeed played on a straight knock-out
basis in the early years). In which case definitely keep the little guys involved.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:36 pm

For all the (often warranted) criticism of fans (hooligans) in E europe, they do have some redeeming qualities.

Soccer Fans in Belarus Call Putin a Dickhead, Get Arrested by KGB

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:12 pm

nzfooty wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:60 straight defeats for San Marino apparently.

Who would win if they played Seoul Martyrs?

Last sixty-five games they have conceded 300 goals and scored seven. About time we had pre-qualifying.

I would've agreed not so long ago. I have also noticed there is some debate regarding this issue under the clickbait
articles of the online English papers.

There have been some interesting results in the last few days that are being used by ant-pre-qualifying crowd to
support their view. I list them below:
Netherlands 3 - 1 Kazakhstan
(Kazakhstan went ahead, conceded in the 62', had a man sent off at 64' before conceding two goals)
FYR Macedonia 3 - 2 Luxembourg
(Luxembourg were 2-1 in the lead at one stage. In their first match they conceded a late equaliser against Belarus with the match
finishing 1-1)
Italy 2 - 1 Azerbaijan
(Italy's winner came in the 82th... interestingly all 3 goals in this match were scored by Suarez's old pal, Giorgio Chiellini)

I would therefore like to suggest that there are only 3 truly awful teams in Europe:
San Marino, Andorra and Gibraltar

Indeed, San Marino might be the only member of this club. Andorra troubled Wales in the last round, before losing 2-1 while
Gibraltar displayed naivety against Poland. I watched that match and it was only 1-0 in the first half (from a deflected shot)
and the heads dropped once the second went in. They have a 0-0 v Slovakia under their belt (and Slovakia demonstrated
they are no slouches in recent years).

Does warrant pre-qualifying? It will be interesting to see how the new Nations League
develops. It might be that the EUROs become the equivalent of a "cup" competition (and they were indeed played on a straight knock-out
basis in the early years). In which case definitely keep the little guys involved.

You have a bunch of proper diddy teams like San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, Malta, Luxembourg and another bunch of teams that have never really done anything in qualifying like Cyprus, Moldova, Belarus, Lithuania, Azerbaijan and teams that were once decent but now pretty mediocre like N. Ireland, Hungary, Austria. Could easily have a prequal with say 20 teams - 4 groups of 5 with top 2 going through. Or knock it up to 24 and have a knock-out competition with 2 rounds of 8 matches.

Either that or you start looking at giving some bigger teams direct entry to the Euro finals - the way the thing is set up now its virtually impossible for a 1st seed to miss out on the finals unless they royally screw up - England's qualifying campaign for example is an exercise in pointlessness as will be Germany's and quite a few others. People are rapidly losing interest in the games already and its only Round 2.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:33 pm

SteveW wrote:[ People are rapidly losing interest in the games already and its only Round 2.

Have not booked my tickets yet. Just waiting which diddy teams will end up facing Scotland in Marseille.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 pm

nzfooty wrote:
SteveW wrote:[ People are rapidly losing interest in the games already and its only Round 2.

Have not booked my tickets yet. Just waiting which diddy teams will end up facing Scotland in Marseille.

Scotland Wales and Eire probably all could have been classed as diddy teams at times over the past few years and in been in pre-qualifying. Don't think we could have complained too much about it if we had done. We were still taking 3,4 and 5 off Faroes, San Marino etc.

If you wanted to start with a pre-qual playoff of 16 teams playing in a home and away knock out then you would have the 16 below based on FIFA rankings:

81 38 Estonia 403 12 Up
85 39 Cyprus 388 55 Up
89 40 Belarus 364 -1 Down
95 41 Azerbaijan 344 -22 Down
99 42 Latvia 333 1 Up
103 43 Lithuania 309 0 Equal
105 44 Moldova 302 -6 Down
110 45 Georgia 290 -15 Down
112 46 FYR Macedonia 286 -36 Down
127 47 Luxembourg 239 -18 Down
127 48 Kazakhstan 239 4 Up
155 49 Malta 133 -5 Down
172 50 Liechtenstein 81 -5 Down
179 51 Faroe Islands 67 4 Up
203 52 Andorra 9 -4 Down
208 53 San Marino 0 0

I don't think anyone could complain about losing some of those teams from qualifying.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:16 am

I don't think anyone could complain about losing some of those teams from qualifying.

You are right, and I can't argue much with this. the only thing I can say is that they will probably end up facing each other
in the newUEFA Nations League. I don't know how this will
fit with the EUROs (I have suggested the EUROs might become a cup style competition but frankly I don't know) but perhaps some
relief will be offered then.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:23 am

Hmmm... my argument that Gibraltar in fact are not a diddy team is being tested in Ireland. I'm not doing well... :?

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:31 am

nzfooty wrote:Hmmm... my argument that Gibraltar in fact are not a diddy team is being tested in Ireland. I'm not doing well... :?

I probably mentioned this before but Gibraltar really should be playing in some regional league somewhere if they want a higher level of football. Liechtenstein at least have the decency to field a team in the top Swiss division (no mean feat) and San Marino have a team that bob up and down between the Italian 3rd division and 4th division, although I looked at the squad recently and only a few are Sanmarianese, but at least they are professional. The pride of Andorra were a playoff away from the Spanish second division a couple of decades ago, but are now struggling in the Second Catalan Division.

Gibraltar is not yet a FIFA member and were only accepted by UEFA after they were forced by the courts. If they do have a pre-qualifying, then maybe UEFA should let all of the other "island nations" like Åland and the Isle of Man also take part. At least they'd be able to play their neighbours without fights breaking out. What are the eligibility rules for playing for Gibraltar anyway? Does everyone on the team have a Gibraltar passport? Is a Gibraltarian grandmother enough if you also happen to be British? Seems a bit unfair to places like Malta and Cyprus who also have a lot of ties with the UK but are required to grant citizenship.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:53 am

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:Hmmm... my argument that Gibraltar in fact are not a diddy team is being tested in Ireland. I'm not doing well... :?

I probably mentioned this before but Gibraltar really should be playing in some regional league somewhere if they want a higher level of football. Liechtenstein at least have the decency to field a team in the top Swiss division (no mean feat) and San Marino have a team that bob up and down between the Italian 3rd division and 4th division, although I looked at the squad recently and only a few are Sanmarianese, but at least they are professional. The pride of Andorra were a playoff away from the Spanish second division a couple of decades ago, but are now struggling in the Second Catalan Division.

Gibraltar is not yet a FIFA member and were only accepted by UEFA after they were forced by the courts. If they do have a pre-qualifying, then maybe UEFA should let all of the other "island nations" like Åland and the Isle of Man also take part. At least they'd be able to play their neighbours without fights breaking out. What are the eligibility rules for playing for Gibraltar anyway? Does everyone on the team have a Gibraltar passport? Is a Gibraltarian grandmother enough if you also happen to be British? Seems a bit unfair to places like Malta and Cyprus who also have a lot of ties with the UK but are required to grant citizenship.

It used to be that everyone in the team was born in Gibraltar but they changed to bring their eligibility criteria in line with the rest of Europe - born in Gibraltar, a UK passport holder with a Gibraltan parent or grandparent or 5 years of schooling in Gibraltar. Same rule as anywhere else in the UK, which Gibraltar basically is.

They were only excluded from UEFA because of Spain complaining and introducing new rules which technically would see all England, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland also excluded as not being sovereign nations if they were applied even-handedly.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 am

SteveW wrote:It used to be that everyone in the team was born in Gibraltar but they changed to bring their eligibility criteria in line with the rest of Europe - born in Gibraltar, a UK passport holder with a Gibraltan parent or grandparent or 5 years of schooling in Gibraltar. Same rule as anywhere else in the UK, which Gibraltar basically is.

They were only excluded from UEFA because of Spain complaining and introducing new rules which technically would see all England, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland also excluded as not being sovereign nations if they were applied even-handedly.

Does the 5 years schooling rule apply to Gibraltar? Are they party to the Home Nations Agreement?

To vote in Gibraltar you need to have lived there for six months (unlike in the UK). To be Miss Gibraltar you need to have lived there 5 years.

The Government has explained that to be on the register of Gibraltarians you must be British, and have been born in Gibraltar before the 1925 or be the descendent, or spouse of a descendent, born before then. In exceptional circumstances a British citizen who has lived in Gibraltar for 25 years may be registered.

Following complaints from Miss Gibraltar, Maroua Kharbouch that she is not deemed a Gibraltarian, the Government has announced it plans to reduce the requirement to 10 years residence and a British passport.

Number Six explains that to have entered the Miss Gibraltar contest, she needed to have British citizenship and have lived in Gibraltar for 5 years. To vote in elections you need to be a British Citizen and have lived in Gibraltar continuously for six months. And, to be on the Housing List you need to be British and have lived in Gibraltar for 10 years.

http://www.gbc.gi/news/news-details.php?id=3376

Being on the register of Gibraltarians is not required to play for them by FIFA rules, but maybe they should at least apply the same requirements as Miss Gibraltar?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Netherlands lost again last night and have only three points from their first three games. If Hiddink keeps this up, he'll be needing his Korean citizenship.

Of course, it's inevitable that if the Dutch finish third in their group, they'll get Scotland in the play-offs.
Bring back King Cha.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:58 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:Netherlands lost again last night and have only three points from their first three games. If Hiddink keeps this up, he'll be needing his Korean citizenship.

Of course, it's inevitable that if the Dutch finish third in their group, they'll get Scotland in the play-offs.

Incredible result and looks like Iceland really will go that extra step and qualify this time around. Fantastic for them.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:36 am

sjc_three wrote:Incredible result and looks like Iceland really will go that extra step and qualify this time around. Fantastic for them.

They've probably been the best side in Scandinavia for a while now and are reaping the benefits from a strong generation that has come through the U-21 side together. Hopefully Korea can do the same.

Been a few shocks so far. World champions losing in Poland, European champions losing in Slovakia, Portugal losing to Albania, Netherlands losing to Iceland. We've had a few years of the top teams dominating easily and perhaps the tide is starting to turn now.

Return to “World football”