Euro 2016

Everything else football-wise.
sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Euro 2016

Postby sjc_three » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
sjc_three wrote:It has to be the most boring qualification group on record for England. The only consolation is a June weekend in Ljubljana for me to look forward to next year, but lord knows how the FA will gee people up to fork out top dollar for Wembley tickets for a qualifying campaign that is largely a foregone conclusion. Famous last words. And to be honest, I hope they are. It would make it more interesting. zzzzzzzzz

Are they locked in to playing their friendlies at Wembley or is there scope for touring around the country? I suppose they have to keep up appearances of showing respect and consideration to their opponents but in all reality qualification will be a formality for England from this group, and as you say getting 80,000 people excited about buying tickets for qualifiers against Lithuania and Estonia is going to be rather difficult. Why not play the Swiss game at Wembley but take the other four to different parts of the country, say for example St James' Park, Villa Park, Anfield and St. Mary's.

From what I understood, just in terms of making their payments, Wembley is absolutely locked in. They've moved the cup semis there for the same reason. You're right though, they'd have a much better chance of filling the likes of St James' Park - or they are going to have to absolutely slash their prices.

I can see the excitement for so many other countries, but this really is going to be a foregone conclusion for a sizeable minority of the "established" nations. Lord knows what Spanish fans are thinking about their group. They could field a youth side and still qualify from that group.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
sjc_three wrote:It has to be the most boring qualification group on record for England. The only consolation is a June weekend in Ljubljana for me to look forward to next year, but lord knows how the FA will gee people up to fork out top dollar for Wembley tickets for a qualifying campaign that is largely a foregone conclusion. Famous last words. And to be honest, I hope they are. It would make it more interesting. zzzzzzzzz

Are they locked in to playing their friendlies at Wembley or is there scope for touring around the country? I suppose they have to keep up appearances of showing respect and consideration to their opponents but in all reality qualification will be a formality for England from this group, and as you say getting 80,000 people excited about buying tickets for qualifiers against Lithuania and Estonia is going to be rather difficult. Why not play the Swiss game at Wembley but take the other four to different parts of the country, say for example St James' Park, Villa Park, Anfield and St. Mary's.

Arent they locked in by the need to satiate the debenture holders?

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 am

Holyjoe wrote:

I think this is the problem they have:
FA wants big names at Wembley for England after Euro 2016 draw
• FA owes £277m for new stadium and needs to entice crowds
• 'We would look to get high-ranking opponents, good opposition

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Why don't they offer Manchester City the "Wembley Wizards FC" franchise for £277m? Problem solved.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Scotland's away kit:

Ireland, Poland and Georgia are suddenly feeling a little bit more confident.
I know Scotland generally starts slowly (before beating the likes of Holland with a backheel
after beating 6 or 7 geezers with a mazy run) but giving it away before a ball has even been kicked?

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:41 am

I apologise, I may have been poking fun (in my not exactly sober state) without realising the shirt has some historical significance. If that is the case, I apologise for my ignorance.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:29 pm

nzfooty wrote:I apologise, I may have been poking fun (in my not exactly sober state) without realising the shirt has some historical significance. If that is the case, I apologise for my ignorance.

It's not just drunk people who are poking fun. As I said on the kit thread, if they had gone with the original primrose and pink kit from historical times it would have been a whole lot worse. Although there's a bloke, John Devlin, who has written books about kits and who runs this site http://www.truecoloursfootballkits.com/ ... ment-21172 writing in 2010 who probably single-handedly deserves a fair bit of the blame/credit.

I think the primrose/pink kit would work with either navy trim/shorts or white trim/shorts to be honest. Of the top of my head though with very few exceptions adidas don’t tend to go use past kits as inspiration though do they? Can’t see the Roseberry colours ever coming back but I would love to see them.

The fact that John is English only makes it even more funny. I can only imagine he's receiving a lot of free rounds at the moment.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:46 pm

The last time scotland wore a pink away shirt was back in the 1998-2000 period. We wore it in a friendly against Germany in 1999 and beat them 1-0 in Bremen so if pink works again this time then it's fine by me. Still a hideous shirt though, even Ronald McDonald would think twice before wearing that to bed...

Frozz
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Frozz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Pikey wrote:they never have a single decent team in their group.

What a ridiculous statement.

World Cups as follows.....

France 98 qualifying:
England, Italy, Poland

Korea/Japan 2002:
England, Germany, Greece

Germany 2006:
I'll give you that one, but Poland aren't easy.

South Africa 2010:
England
Ukraine
Croatia

All these teams have regularly qualified for big tournaments in the past.

The Euro's have constantly thrown awkward teams like Sweden, Turkey, Poland, Croatia etc. Meaning we've failed to qualify or required the play-offs in the past.

Our World Cup qualifying group was easy this year, but that's it. And trips to Eastern Europe can hardly be described as easy these days.

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:36 pm

nzfooty wrote:Image

:smt087

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:07 pm

nzfooty wrote:Scotland's away kit:

This must surely be a joke? Something for some cancer charity perhaps?

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Frozz wrote:

France 98 qualifying:
England, Italy, Poland

Korea/Japan 2002:
England, Germany, Greece

Germany 2006:

South Africa 2010:
England
Ukraine
Croatia

The Euro's have constantly thrown awkward teams like Sweden, Turkey, Poland, Croatia etc. Meaning we've failed to qualify or required the play-offs in the past.

Our World Cup qualifying group was easy this year, but that's it. And trips to Eastern Europe can hardly be described as easy these days.

Er... 94? :oops:

Frozz
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Frozz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:07 am

sjc_three wrote:
Frozz wrote:

France 98 qualifying:
England, Italy, Poland

Korea/Japan 2002:
England, Germany, Greece

Germany 2006:

South Africa 2010:
England
Ukraine
Croatia

Er... 94? :oops:

Holland, Turkey, Poland. Easy, right? :roll:

Not to mention Graeme Taylor as manager.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:39 am

Frozz wrote:Holland, Turkey, Poland. Easy, right? :roll:

Also Norway, who were at their all-time peak at the time. They won that 94 qualifying group, finishing above Holland
(they beat the Dutch at home and left Rotterdam with a point - a week after beating England). At the World Cup
they were desperately unlucky to be eliminated after the first stage. All teams in the group (Ireland, Italy and Mexico
were the other teams) ended up with 4 points and goal difference 0. It was goals for (GF) that was the difference between
top and bottom. Their only loss came against Italy who went on to make the final.

I would also disagree about England having an easy group in the 2014 qualifiers. They lacked a big team in their group
(the way Spain had France) but in terms of depth that was one of the hardest groups. I did this on another site but I
compared the strength of the 2014 groups based on the bet365 odds the nations got for doing well at Euro 2016 and
England's group game out as 3rd or 4th hardest.

It makes sense too. The Ukraine and Poland did not play any qualifiers as Euro 2012 hosts - hence their FIFA rankings
suffered. Had they participated in the qualifiers they may not have ended up in pots 3 and 4 (with the likes of Albania and
Lithuania). Ukraine nearly took France out in the play-offs. (Groups should not be based solely on FIFA rankings).

Now Montenegro are an enigma. Played well in EURO 2012 qualifiers - and ended up with a place in pot 2 for the
2014 World Cup qualifiers. Not only that, they were the second highest ranked team in pot 2, sandwiched by France
and Russia. They started really well, but had they fell apart at the end with heavy losses against Ukraine and England.
In their last match (at home) they got also completely trashed by Moldova (5-2). (Again,
groups should not be based solely on FIFA rankings).

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 pm

This thread has gone right downhill. It started off all positive about Scotland's chances and having a right good go at the English who always get things going their way.

Now it turns out that in away fixtures Scotland will look like fannies before the game even kicks off and England are actually having to qualify for tournaments by beating quite good sides.

I'm away to watch Diego Maradona's goals in the 1986 World Cup. :brave:
Bring back King Cha.

Return to “World football”