Euro 2016

Everything else football-wise.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: Euro 2016

Postby nzfooty » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:55 am

eujin wrote:Faeroese Sensation!

That's some result. I guess the debate re pre-qualifying has swung in favour the 'no' camp'.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:58 am

nzfooty wrote:I guess the debate re pre-qualifying has swung in favour the 'no' camp'.

I didn't see any of the Germany-Gibraltar match as there was a Korean themed evening on German TV. Thomas Müller was saying afterwards that he could do without these kind of matches and when your coach and media says it isn't good enough even though you win 4-0, I can understand why. They're playing Spain on Tuesday. It's only a friendly but it'll be a far more intense encounter.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:57 am

Yup, I'd be saying the same thing if I were him.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:10 pm

Not much more of qualifying to go. Going to be good to see teams like Iceland and Wales at Euro 2016.

Netherlands and Greece have been doing some great work in the qualifying as well, to convince everyone it isn't that easy.

From 2004 champions to being beaten home and away by the Faroes. Incredible.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:52 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:Going to be good to see teams like Iceland and Wales at Euro 2016.

You should probably add Albania to that list :cry:

Am I just seeing patterns in noise, or are there tournaments where all the favourites dominate (EC 2012) and other tournaments where a large number of underdogs shine? Surely the performances of Wales and Iceland can't be correlated?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:46 am

I get the feeling UEFA could expand the European Championships to 53 teams and Scotland would somehow find a way to fail to qualify...

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:27 am

Watching the match I had a similar impression to the first one, Germany did the minimum required to get three points, and unless Scotland had equalised in the last two minutes, the Germans would've have upped a gear and got a fourth. But apart from two matches against the world champions, Scotland haven't done too badly. Won all their home matches and only lost away in Georgia. That's hardly a disasterous campaign. It sucks that they might well be the only team from the British Isles not to qualify, but they've done a lot better than last time.

Win at home against Poland and things don't look too bad unless Germany hand out some points in Dublin (which they might well).

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:49 am

eujin wrote:
Win at home against Poland and things don't look too bad unless Germany hand out some points in Dublin (which they might well).

I think Scotland have a decent chance of making 3rd. If they beat Poland and Gibraltar they will end up on 17 pts.
Say, Ireland manage a draw with Germany in Dublin.

Then on the last day it is: Poland (17 pts) v Ireland (16 pts).
Poland win => Scotland finish above Ireland on points
Draw => Scotland finish above Ireland on head-to-head
Ireland win => Scotland finish above Poland on head-to-head

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:59 pm

nzfooty wrote:I think Scotland have a decent chance of making 3rd. If they beat Poland and Gibraltar they will end up on 17 pts.
Say, Ireland manage a draw with Germany in Dublin.

Then on the last day it is: Poland (17 pts) v Ireland (16 pts).
Poland win => Scotland finish above Ireland on points
Draw => Scotland finish above Ireland on head-to-head
Ireland win => Scotland finish above Poland on head-to-head

Yes, where there's trouble is if Ireland get more than a single point against Germany. Then Scotland need the Irish to also win away in Poland where a draw would probably suit both teams.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:57 am

Scotland was not worse than Poland. In many ways, probably a better team. So it happens out of near 40 million someone spawned
a Lewnadowski and you can't plan for that.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:03 pm

nzfooty wrote:So it happens out of near 40 million someone spawned a Lewnadowski and you can't plan for that.

They say he's ever bigger than Jan Tomaszewski.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:58 am

I'm going to blame that wee dick who ran on to the pitch near the end to take a selfie with Lewandowski.. ref will have added a bit of time on for that delay :finger
Attachments
Scotland-fan-selfie-with-Robert-Lewandowski.jpg

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:21 pm

I'd be stuffing my underpants full of newspapers for the rest of the year if I were that kid. He is bound to get some epic lashings over the next few months.

What's up with the pic anyway? The Polish emblem looks weird as does Lewnadowki's face. Fark, you'd think for all the pain this going to bring him, he could've at least taken a decent selfie.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:35 am

nzfooty wrote:The Polish emblem looks weird as does Lewnadowki's face.

It's good to see you have as much trouble as the rest of us spelling his name. :wink:

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:58 pm

The Bbc very cheekily chooses to illustrate an article about what the US can learn from Denmark with a picture of some Danish football fans.

The girl in the middle looks particularly shocked that they just drew 0-0 at home against Albania. Either that or her mum has just told her how many weeks of pocket money she'd need to save up for a ticket to the next match.

There's been quite a bit of soul-searching about the state of the game in Denmark after the recent campaign. Apart from matches against a demoralised Serbia, they managed just three goals in six matches. Denmark's chances of qualifying for the European Championship may be hanging by a thread, but their chances are still better than the USA's. Bernie Sanders is absolutely right that there are some profound lessons for Americans here; profound lessons about their non-qualification when supposedly minor countries like Albania, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Slovakia and Wales can succeed. These are undoubtedly lessons that they should be teaching in every elementary school in America.

Return to “World football”