Euro 2016

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Re: Euro 2016

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:04 am

I don't watch a lot of football with commentary in English, but it's amazing how blatantly pro-England the ESPN commentary is. They were discussing how many Wales players would get in the England team even when Wales were winning 1-0. Why do I pay a licence fee for this? (I don't - in Germany they have a dubbed Phil Neville giving colour on England matches and it would be awkwardly embarrassing for all the Germans if he talked complete rubbish.)

But I'm surprised England-Wales finished 2-1. I thought it had 1-1 written all over it from the moment the draw was made. But the scriptwriters have clearly updated their storyline for unusual derby between a smaller but well organised team with only one player anyone's ever heard of and bigger but not as good as they like to think they are neighbours and ethnic relatives viewtopic.php?p=14846#p14846

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:53 am

If Icelanders celebrated like they'd won the Euros against Portugal, how about the Hungarians after they got a point against Iceland?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:36 pm

In fairness they've now made the last 16 of a tournament for the first time since... Scotland were decent.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:24 am

SteveW wrote:In fairness they've now made the last 16 of a tournament for the first time since... Scotland were decent.

1972?

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:43 am

Despite what Alan Shearer says, Russia aren't the worst team at this tournament, that's Ukraine, with no goals and no points.

Curious that it would be those two.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:56 am

Áfram Ísland!

In the round of 16 I'll be supporting Anyone But England As Long As Its Iceland (ABEALAII)

Abealaiiiiiii

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:00 am

I've seen plenty of folk on other forums bemoaning the new 24 team format as having negatively affected the quality of football on display and claiming this has effectively ruined the tournament, whilst on the other hand stating that international tournaments haven't been as good since the likes of Mexico 86. Gary Lineker has claimed to be bemused by how it all works in France when he actually played in that tournament in Mexico so should have a pretty good idea...

Anyway thought it quite interesting that the three sides who finished above Scotland in qualifying for Euro 2016 have all made it through to the last 16. Yes I am getting desperate searching for crumbs of comfort because it bloody hurts seeing Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic all in the last 16...

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:00 pm

eujin wrote:Áfram Ísland!

In the round of 16 I'll be supporting Anyone But England As Long As Its Iceland (ABEALAII)

Abealaiiiiiii

That's handy, half of Scotland were apparently already supporting Iceland and the other half were supporting ABE so everyone can get on board with Eujin for some Cameroon style disappointment.

I enjoyed Iceland putting out Austria and hope to see a shock against England (though I'm sure England will win, in fact I've not been so sure of anything since predicting that Remain would win by at least 10 points in the referendum, leading to some Cameron style disappointment).

Also coming up, Croatia (my favourite team in the tournament so far) against Portugal (my least favourite team). Hope there's no Cameronaldo disapp... that's not going to work.

Áfram Ísland! Naprijed Hrvatska!
Bring back King Cha.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Some people have suggested to me that my "Denmark always lose big matches when the media are saying that they will win" theory applies equally well to England.

Helpfully for testing this, the Bbc have posted a "Why England will beat Iceland" article: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36629201

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:52 am

When does the Cameroon style disappointment start, Rothesay?

Hodgson is obviously going to have to resign after this. The Queen will be the only person in England with a job left at this rate.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Absolute TV gold.

:smt082

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Looks the Cameroon style disappointment has been postponed! Getting a bit tired of England copying Scotland to be honest. Losing out to Costa Rica in the World Cup and getting beaten by small nordic countries was fine a decade or two ago, but these days it's all about staying at home and gearing up for big European club games like Aberdeen v Fola Esch or Hearts v FC Infonet.

For the Euros I reckon it's going to be a Poland v Germany final, which effectively means that because Scotland beat Ireland in qualifying and finished behind these two countries, then Scotland are the 3rd best team in Europe. Or maybe 4th, after Iceland.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:04 pm

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:48 pm

While ABE fans drift off to lament yet another tournament without a clear team to get behind in the latter stages, ABEALAII fans are already relishing the upcoming quarter-finals. Including it seems French swimmer Yannick Agnel, who reckons he'll be so pleased if Iceland win that he'll have to swim all the way around it. And I thought it was cold and took ages to drive around Iceland.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:30 am

I'd happily deep fry Nigel Farage, over and over again just to make sure.

Return to “World football”