Euro 2016

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: Euro 2016

Postby eujin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:24 pm

There's been some talk of pre-qualifying (and rightly so) but look at who the group leaders are after most teams have played 3 matches:

Iceland
Wales
Slovakia
Poland
England
Northern Ireland
Austria
Croatia
Albania

Albania ought to get another three points after their match was abandoned in Serbia due to crowd trouble.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 am

eujin wrote:
Albania ought to get another three points after their match was abandoned in Serbia due to crowd trouble.

not to sure about the history between them but this is not something you do during a match.... unless i can get my hands on one before the next jeonbuk seoul match and fly a big flag over daeguowls head...
well well well

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Alex43 wrote:
eujin wrote:

not to sure about the history between them but this is not something you do during a match.... unless i can get my hands on one before the next jeonbuk seoul match and fly a big flag over daeguowls head...

If you need to borrow the Diablos flag just let me know

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:49 am

daeguowl wrote:
Alex43 wrote:
eujin wrote:

If you need to borrow the Diablos flag just let me know

i think it runs on electric power, not like the Delorin from Back to the Future where we would just collect trash from the bin to fuel it... keep ur toilet paper sir
well well well

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:05 pm

eujin wrote:Albania ought to get another three points after their match was abandoned in Serbia due to crowd trouble.

Well, I was totally wrong about that as UEFA have decided that Serbia won the match 3-0 but will have three points deducted for crowd trouble. So basically they both lost.
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/qualifiers ... y+decision

Denmark might still be top of the group :smt101

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:35 am

eujin wrote:
eujin wrote:Albania ought to get another three points after their match was abandoned in Serbia due to crowd trouble.

Well, I was totally wrong about that as UEFA have decided that Serbia won the match 3-0 but will have three points deducted for crowd trouble. So basically they both lost.
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/qualifiers ... y+decision

Denmark might still be top of the group :smt101

Isn't making the next two home games behind closed doors kind of like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted? UEFA fucked this up in my opinion. I'm not condoning the behaviour of some of the Serbian supporters, which was disgusting, but they should never have played it in front of a crowd in the first place. You can't expect the Serbian FA to make that decision. Their own supporters would never have forgiven them. They did everything they could have done in banning away supporters and having such a heavy police presence. They couldn't possibly have predicted the drone incident. UEFA should have taken the matter into their own hands well before this. They ballsed it up, and now are blaming everyone but themselves.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:36 am

Oh, and obviously the travelling supporters of the next two opponents have to pay for it too now as well - in games where they is next to no chance of any trouble. The whole decision is ridiculous.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:52 am

Presumably Serbia told UEFA they could host the game without trouble and weren't able to.

Not much choice for UEFA, can't see the pre-emptively banning fans against the wishes of the local FA is a better solution than punishing people for actually having transgressed.

Of course, UEFA can't win...that's their job.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Serbia and Croatia managed to complete two qualification matches against each other in the 2014 World Cup qualifying group (that also featured that team that got knocked out before everyone else). Despite football fans doing what football fans invariably do, even the New York Times felt moved to write about it: Amid ‘Kill’ Chants, Croatia and Serbia Set Peaceful Example. UEFA obviously felt that was a winning formula that could be repeated.

UEFA did pull the plug when Armenia were due to play Azerbaijan in the 2008 qualifiers. They got criticised for cowardice that time: UEFA’s cowardly, ‘politically correct’ decision: Euro 2008 Armenia vs Azerbaijan matches cancelled

The Danish FA seems reasonably confident they'll get their fans who have already bought tickets in to the closed-door Serbia-Denmark match. The same thing happened with N. Ireland fans a few years back with a Korean-syle 200 fans in a stadium of 50,000.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:41 am

SteveW wrote:Presumably Serbia told UEFA they could host the game without trouble and weren't able to.

Not much choice for UEFA, can't see the pre-emptively banning fans against the wishes of the local FA is a better solution than punishing people for actually having transgressed.

Of course, UEFA can't win...that's their job.

Only just read this, but seems to me UEFA can and do behave precisely how they feel like so this doesn't seem like a huge decision for them to have made. Indeed, given the countries they have kept apart previously, perhaps even that might have been a better way forward from the off.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:23 am

Hiddink vows to resign if Dutch lose to Latvia

Netherlands coach Guus Hiddink will step down after four months in charge if they fail to win next week's Euro 2016 qualifier against Latvia, he said on Friday (Saturday NZT).

"If we lose to Latvia then I'll take the logical step. I haven't discussed it with the players but to me a draw too would not be acceptable," the 67-year-old told a news conference...

More here.

Code: Select all

1. Iceland      3  3 0 0  8- 0  9
2. Czech Rep    3  3 0 0  8- 4  9
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3. Netherlands  3  1 0 2  4- 5  3
=================================
4. Latvia       3  0 2 1  1- 4  2
5. Kazakhstan   3  0 1 2  3- 7  1
6. Turkey       3  0 1 2  2- 6  1

16 November
Netherlands v Latvia
Czech Republic v Iceland
Turkey v Kazakhstan

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 am

eujin wrote:The Danish FA seems reasonably confident they'll get their fans who have already bought tickets in to the closed-door Serbia-Denmark match.

And they're wrong about that as UEFA decided that not even the 175 Danish fans who had already bought tickets and travel packages for match will be let in on Friday. Serves them right for....whatever it is that they did.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:45 am

Only a friendly, but it is not happening for Guus, is it?
Netherlands 2 - 3 Mexico

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:36 pm

nzfooty wrote:Only a friendly, but it is not happening for Guus, is it?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say they'll beat Latvia.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:46 am

Faeroese Sensation!

Return to “World football”