Declan Hill's start in Football Gambling

Everything else football-wise.
anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Declan Hill's start in Football Gambling

Postby anamerican » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 am

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64398178/

He's not a sports writer. He never has been. Hill previously investigated the modern-day underground railroad of Iraq, the blood feuds of Kosovo, and the widespread murder of Philippine journalists. He fell into sports when working on a documentary for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and PBS's Frontline about the links between Russian organized crime and players in the NHL.

"I was having dinner with the guy who the FBI and U.S. Congress said is head of the Russian mafia, Anzor Kikalishvili," Hill described. "So I said to him, 'I guess you like hockey?' as he was closely connected to NHL star Pavel Bure at the time. And he said, 'Yeah, I like hockey mostly because of Pavel, but I love football.' And he began talking about his presence at the World Cup final in 1994 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. But he wasn't just there; he was actually in the VIP section, the box run by FIFA. And he wasn't just in the very, very important persons' box; he was in the front row alongside Jaoa Havelange and Sepp Blatter, the president and future president of world soccer. That really piqued my curiosity."

Interesting.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Declan Hill's start in Football Gambling

Postby just because » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 pm

I fead his book a couple of years ago about Football Fixing but there wasnt much that surprised me to be honest. Still worth a read tho

Return to “World football”