Europe - General 2013-14

Everything else football-wise.
Ghost
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Europe - General 2013-14

Postby Ghost » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 am

Park Joo Ho moves from FC Basel to 1. FSV Mainz 05. He got himself a two year contract with the option of a two year extension.
So an other Korean playing in the Bundesliga the coming season. :)
Supporting:
Gyeongnam FC
Korean National Team
Swiss National Team

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Europe - General 2012-13

Postby sjc_three » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Finally took in my first Hungarian game last night, a full 2 weeks since I arrived. :oops: Also moderately ashamed to admit it was the big boys, Ferencvaros, rather than anything more interestingly obscure. It was on paper a Budapest derby, but minimal fan involvement from their opponents MTK, so in real terms didn't feel like one. Reminded me a little of going to see AEK v Apollon 20 years ago, which was a similiar non event from an Apollon perspective. A week later I went to Panathinaikos v AEK which was proper mental - and I'm led to believe that Ferencvaros v Ujpest which will be next month has a lot more spice to it too.

Overall, decent atmosphere - lots of singing and general fun and festivities all round, although a 2-0 win for the home side obviously helped that, as well as the beer on tap. Quite an eclectic mix of supporters, from Grandads to normal guys with their girlfriends, but also the obligatory and not insignificant group of tasty looking geezers with tops off, lots of ink and considerably less hair. Only other observation was the absolute chaotic nature of ticketing outside, with a massive queue for people firstly queuing up to get a clubcard (3 people serving) and then another one to get the tickets (2 people serving). Got there an hour before kick off and got into the game 20 mins into it! Cyclops would have hated it! ;)

(As a side note, was incredibly lucky I still had my Korean Alien Card with me, as they wanted my passport for the Club card! She gave it a bit of a 2nd glance, but fluttered my eyelids at her and gave her my winning smile and all good!)

Hmmm - can't seem to get photobucket to upload my pics, but most of you have got me on Facebook, so if your interested, there's a couple of them up there.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:50 am

How to endear yourself to your supporters. Korona players step in to defend one of their fans from some heavy handed security at a game in Russia.

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:13 am

What is it about Germans and ridiculous goal decisions?

Hoffenheim demand replay after Leverkusen's 'ghost goal'

They ended up replaying a Bundesliga match in 1994 because of something similar. I think I already talked about that somewhere on here. They probably ought to replay a few matches against England too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kShS20yT8IU

footygossiper
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby footygossiper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:10 am

I am seeing Arsenal and gossip about ozil everywhere. But ManU Youngstar Adnan is maybe staying more years there- Football transfers.

I hope Ozil will take Arsenal to a height they are waiting o ride there for years...
Shame RMA you bought a wrong Wales guy with a Platinum,

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:26 am

Mascots observing minutes silences

I imagine some of you must have seen this already, but it got a chuckle out of me when I found it last night.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Re: Europe - General 2012-13-14

Postby eujin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:52 am

So the team top of the Bundesliga set a Champions League record away at the North Pole by winning their tenth straight Champions League match, whilst the team second in the Bundesliga get smacked 5-0 at home.

Great :|

The biggest, richest club in Germany that won everything they could last year by miles went out and signed the best European coach and the best young German player just to make things more ridiculuosly pointless. Fuck you and piss off!

Holyjoe

Re: Europe - General 2013-14

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:53 am

Well that's the fan told, and of course now no-one will ever do this ever again at any match AVB manages Spurs at each week until he actually does get the sack. No siree.

André Villas-Boas gets Tromso 'sacked in the morning' fan ejected
29 November 2013

André Villas-Boas asked for a Tromso supporter who chanted that he would be "sacked in the morning" to be removed from his seat behind the dug-out during Tottenham Hotspur's 2-0 Europa League victory in Norway on Thursday evening.

The Tottenham manager said that he was "immune" to all criticism as the pressure on him mounted in the wake of last Sunday's 6-0 defeat at Manchester City.

His position has come under scrutiny at boardroom level, with the City humiliation representing the low point of a difficult period, which has featured home losses to West Ham United and Newcastle United and a worrying struggle for offensive fluency in the Premier League. He sorely needs a positive result and performance against Manchester United at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

But Villas-Boas snapped during the Tromso tie when he heard Reidar Stenersen Jr taunting him over his job prospects. Stenersen, a 29-year-old hairdresser who supports Manchester United, directed the chant at Villas-Boas in the early stages of the game. When he did it again at half-time and Villas-Boas pointed at him, he found himself removed by security.

Stenersen was told that he could return to watch the second half from the stand on the opposite side of the ground but he declined and retired to the pub.

"I first sung after five minutes that he would be 'sacked in the morning' and he looked at me," Stenersen told the Norwegian newspaper Nordlys. "At the half-time whistle, when it was still 0-0 and I started the same song, he pointed at me and suddenly the security came and threw me out.

"I know he is under a lot of pressure so I think my words hit him, even though I am only a little guy in little Tromso. He was being a bit petulant. This is the same thing that can be sung by 60,000 at the Emirates Stadium or other grounds."

Tromso's head of security, Hans-Thore Hanssen, confirmed that a fan had been moved after Villas-Boas made a complaint to the Uefa inspector. "He was asked to move to the other side," Hanssen said. "I was not there when the incident happened so what he may have shouted, I cannot say.

"But I know that he [Villas-Boas] had spoken to the Uefa inspector who, in turn, spoke to our security. The situation was handled correctly. If there is verbal abuse shouted, the supporter should be spoken to and, in some cases, thrown out. In this type of match, there is greater security."

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Wow :shock:

Hull owner Assem Allam: Critics 'can die as soon as they want'
1 December 2013

Hull owner Assem Allam has told fans "they can die as soon as they want" in response to protests about his plans to change the club's name.

Allam, who took over in 2010, infuriated some supporters with his idea to rebrand the club Hull Tigers.

The Hull fans have formed a campaign group called City Till We Die.

But Allam told the Independent: "They can die as soon as they want, as long as they leave the club for the majority who just want to watch good football."

The 74-year-old Egypt-born businessman, who moved to Hull in 1968, first announced in August the company name had changed from Hull City AFC to Hull City Tigers, ending a part of the Yorkshire club's name which has been in effect since their formation in 1904.

Allam later stated a Tigers brand would be more marketable, and considered the word "City" to be "lousy" and "common".

A number of supporters protested during the game against Crystal Palace last week by unfurling a banner which read "We are Hull City".

But the owner added: "How can they call themselves fans, these hooligans, this militant minority, when they disturb and distract the players while taking away the rights of others to watch the football, and of companies who have paid good money for advertising?"

City Till We Die hit back at Allam's remarks.

"Thankfully, hooliganism at football in this country is now exceedingly rare," the group said in a statement.

"The intemperate suggestion that singing "City Till I Die" or holding a banner with Hull City's name on it constitutes disorder is ill-informed, unhelpful and will be considered by many to be offensive.

"We reiterate our advice to all City fans to continue their fine support for our fantastic team while positively expressing a preference for our current name."

When Hull were relegated from the Premier League in 2010 they were thought to be approximately £35m in debt but Allam insists he will walk away from the club immediately if the criticism of his proposals continues.

"I'm a simple man," added Allam. "Do they want me to stay? If it's, 'No thank you', fine, in 24 hours the club is for sale, I do not put in one more pound and hopefully things happen quickly."

The owner has already offered to refund season ticket holders who are unhappy with the name changes.

Phil Brown, who managed Hull in the Premier League during three years in charge at KC Stadium, told the BBC's Match of the Day Extra programme: "It's a strange atmosphere at the stadium.

"You expect excitement in the Premier League and there is not that in the air, just animosity.

"The owners do not understand the heritage in this country, they need to understand the needs of the fans.

"You can't say what this guy says, it is just improper.

"Steve Bruce has to prepare for a Premier League game and now has to manage the guy above him. He knows in his heart of hearts Dr Allam has said the wrong thing.

"The supporters kept the club in the Premier League. Without them there was no chance of us surviving in that season."

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:56 am

This video of FC Gnistan v GrIFK in the Finnish third division is doing the rounds as if the terrible defending, strange celebrations, hideous misses and blistering finishes all in one match are particularly unusual. Looks like a typical K4 game to me.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:07 pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25972945

BBC Sport FOOTBALL
30 January 2014 Last updated at 20:46 GMT
Racing Santander protest forces Sociedad Copa del Rey call-off
Racing Santander forced the abandonment of their Copa del Rey quarter-final against Real Sociedad by refusing to play because they had not been paid.
When the second leg kicked off, the Santander players huddled together on the edge of the centre circle and would not challenge for the ball.
The protest is expected to cost Santander their place in the competition, although Sociedad had already won the first leg 3-1.
The winners face Barcelona.
Racing Santander players salute their fans as they leave the pitch
"Right now we have mixed feelings of sadness and a kind of joy but it is a shame it had to come to this," said Santander midfielder Javi Soria.
"We hope things get sorted out because we just want to get back to playing and try to make Racing the best it can be."
Racing players had released a statement on Monday warning they would boycott the home tie unless president Angel Lavin and his board stepped down from their positions with the third division club.
The home side turned up and completed their warm-up but, after Sociedad kicked off, stood arm in arm around the centre circle, with substitutes and coaching staff lining up in solidarity on the touchline.
The Santander players leave the pitche after the game is abandoned
Sociedad passed the ball between themselves in their own half for two minutes before kicking it out for a throw-in, at which point the referee signalled that the match was over.
Racing players say they have not been paid for several months.
"We hope there are no legal consequences because we have done this for the good of football, for the good of a city and for the whole of Spain because there are lots of similar cases," added Soria.
Racing Santander defender Saul Garcia speaks with Real Sociedad defender Inigo Martinez
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:15 am

A belter of a goal from Florian Dick for Kaiserslautern in this weekend's top of the table second division clash in Germany. Things are also looking good for Andreas Wank in the Olympic ski-jumping as he qualified for the final.

That ought really to be enough, but with these two doing so well it has rather kept Germany's Education minister, Prof. Dr. Johanna Wanka, out of the news.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 am

Wasn't sure if this was genuine or not but it's made a lot of the print media today so there could well be some substance to it. The full letter has done the rounds on Twitter and it just seems incredible that the club are doing this. Just a couple of minutes remaining before the deadline expires as I post this, though perhaps given how recent Manchester derbies have gone then having your ticket suspended for that one would actually be a blessing in disguise:

Manchester United season-ticket holders face derby ban over Olympiakos ticket snub
Wednesday 26 Feb 2014

Manchester United appear to be doing their utmost to vex their fans these days – both on and off the pitch

David Moyes’ strugglers sunk to a new low with a dismal defeat to Olympiakos in Greece last night.

And now United have performed something of a PR boo-boo by insisting that season-ticket holders who do not buy a ticket for the March 19 return leg of that last-16 clash will be banned from attending the Manchester derby six days later.

Supporters today received letters which state that the deadline for purchasing Olympiakos tickets is 8pm tonight.

The terms and conditions of United’s season tickets stipulate that failure to buy additional tickets for cup matches (although there are some exceptions, including the Capital One Cup) forfeits the holder’s right to attend the subsequent Premier League match – in this case the visit of Manchester City to Old Trafford.

A United spokesman said: ‘The terms and conditions are clear: “In respect of each home cup match for which the ticket holder fails to provide valid payment card details or for which the ticket holder’s card or payment is declined, the ticket holder’s season ticket may be suspended for one home league match.”

‘This measure was introduced at the start of last season. If we successfully sell the ticket the fan has failed to pay for, they can apply for a refund of the City ticket at the end of the season.’

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:05 pm

PR disaster is right. Jesus wept. Somebody's head should roll for that.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:09 pm

The problem with Italian football, according to the BBC's business editor.

Basically they need to build more corporate boxes, open more merchandise megastores, sell more prawn sandwiches, play more matches in East Asia and put the bloody ticket prices up.

There's a lesson in there for all of us, somewhere.

Return to “World football”