Nigerian Premier League 2013

Everything else football-wise.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Nigerian Premier League 2013

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:09 pm

An impressively close league season this year with just seventeen points separating top from bottom at the end of the 38 game season. As if that's not remarkable enough, take a closer look at the stats...

eujin

Re: Nigerian Premier League 2013

Postby eujin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:09 am

It would be interesting to know whether Kwara United's fine away form was due to a late surge to avoid relegation or because they refused to follow the script.

Denmark and Bulgaria would've both benefitted from winning home and losing away in their World Cup qualifying matches rather than drawing both matches. It's one of the drawbacks of the three points for a win system. I wonder if these things are more because of mutual agreement between the clubs or because the refs are helping the home team for threat of being lynched. Penalty award stats would help tell the story.

Whether one of the most corrupt countries in the world having seventeen points separating top from bottom is worse than one of the least corrupt (Denmark) having the second place team closer to the bottom than the top is also an interesting debate.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:13 pm

The article about it in the Guardian gives some of the answers.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... e-win-away

Sounds like a bit of an adventure going to away games. I can't imagine there is much of an away support.
Bring back King Cha.

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Great article. I'd love to do the equivalent of the 48 Club in another country but it probably won't be Nigeria! sjc_three on the other hand... :albino:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Yeah interesting article, thanks for posting the link. Pretty mental when players are missing penalties on purpose or deliberately diving the wrong way:

Even when referees are determined not to be influenced by payments, they must show even greater fortitude to ignore the demands of certain crowds. And even if they do, that is still no guarantee that the home mob will not get their way. "There was an infamous case several years ago when a referee, Dogo Yabilsu, awarded a penalty to Sharks at Kwara United and fans invaded the pitch," recalls the Nigerian editor of kickoffnigeria.com Colin Udoh. "Yabilsu was a colonel in the army and he took out his service pistol and chased the fans off. But Sharks were still afraid of what would happen if they scored so their player deliberately missed the spotkick."

Dolphins' players were equally intimidated at Kano Pillars a couple of seasons ago – so when the home side were awarded a late penalty several of them pleaded with their goalkeeper, Sunday Rotimi, a former international renowned for his penalty-saving prowess, to dive the wrong way, which he duly did.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Read the comments in that article....Nigerian football sounds mental. Conpleting all the away grounds would be some achievement.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:37 pm

This is impressive. However, the following is also worth checking out:

Most Competitive League

Holyjoe and I contributed to that website a few years ago. That above has to be my favourite collection they have and I would love to see someone come up with a better table.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Good to see you back on here nzfooty. I really enjoyed contributing to the RSSSF files, sadly with two kids I just don't have the time nor the energy these days to get so involved with it which is a shame. Roll on their sixteenth birthdays so I can kick them out and get all my free time back :wink:

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeah, it's good to see you back. With you commenting, Mipo making a short appearance and me briefly back in Korea it's almost like old times (old times for me at least.)

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Thank you both. I miss spending time here... I actually really miss Korea as well. I had a good chat to holyjoe about this a few months ago. It is quite interesting - time moves, I still make the same stupid mistakes.

RSSSF was good to be part of. Completely understand Holyjoe how much its is to juggle with kids around. RSSSF lost some of its lustre once Wikpedia came on the scene. At the same time probably RSSSF more important - no chance of 15 year old kids editing all the 2002 WC scores 5-0 in SK's favour.

Around 1999, FIFA used RSSSF as a one of the sources for their 100-cap club. Which made RSSSF members ask what exactly it was that FIFA did when they were not busy laundering money.

What bring you back to Korea eujin?

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:35 am

nzfooty wrote:What bring you back to Korea eujin?

Just a quick visit courtesy of various people who ought to know better. I've been mainly too busy to see much football and didn't manage to watch a single game of the Korean series on TV, let alone try to get a ticket.

Spatula City
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Location: South of the (Ulsan) Border, West of the Sun (and fun in Haeundae)

Postby Spatula City » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:15 am

Rather than start another Nigerian football thread I'll ask here. At halftime of the AFC champs league game they mentioned that Nigeria had just won the under-17 world cup for the fourth (or fifth) time. Why hasn't any of that success made it's way to the senior team?

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:25 am

Spatula City wrote:Rather than start another Nigerian football thread I'll ask here. At halftime of the AFC champs league game they mentioned that Nigeria had just won the under-17 world cup for the fourth (or fifth) time. Why hasn't any of that success made it's way to the senior team?

Partially it has. Some stuff Nigeria has done at senior level has been very decent.

As always the criticism with the u17 tournament is that the teams cheat with regards to age - especially the African teams.

See more of this chap:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Glees ... rnalist%29

Spatula City
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Location: South of the (Ulsan) Border, West of the Sun (and fun in Haeundae)

Postby Spatula City » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:15 am

nzfooty wrote:
Spatula City wrote:Rather than start another Nigerian football thread I'll ask here. At halftime of the AFC champs league game they mentioned that Nigeria had just won the under-17 world cup for the fourth (or fifth) time. Why hasn't any of that success made it's way to the senior team?

Partially it has. Some stuff Nigeria has done at senior level has been very decent.

As always the criticism with the u17 tournament is that the teams cheat with regards to age - especially the African teams.

See more of this chap:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Glees ... rnalist%29

Ah good answer. So basically Nigerian football is the reverse equivalent of Chinese gymnastics.

Return to “World football”