English football 2012-2013

Everything else football-wise.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Re: English football 2012-2013

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 pm

I'd like to see Wimbledon stay up... I'd looked at the table a month or so ago and though there were a load of teams in possible danger of relegation they were towards the top end of that group. They must have gone on a pretty poor run of results recently. The Conference is stuffed full of teams I used to think of as lower league mainstays in the past - sides like Grimsby, Wrexham, Mansfield (coming back up though), Luton, Lincoln... it's definitely a tough league to get out of. The demise of Stockport County seems pretty rapid, they've been relegated from the Conference National this season. It might have been a lot longer ago than I think it was but weren't they playing second tier football about 10-15 years ago?

Does anyone know which former league club is playing at the lowest level of football in England currently? I suppose there will have been loads of pre-war sides who are still kicking around, but if we go for post-war then who would it be? Boston United are in the Conference North, they were a league club not so long ago (I remember they were outbidding Aberdeen for players at one point and ended up in financial difficulties) but they weren't a league club for very long I'm sure. Stockport had been league members for decades.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Ignoring the teams that were around Donkey's years ago, I would guess that the lowest former league team would be the current incarnation of Scarboro or perhaps Halifax...Third guess is Rushden

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 am

Here's a definitive list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fo ... ague_clubs

I looked at the list and if you're generous with reformed phoenix clubs retaining the history of the old club then:

New Brighton played 2011-12 in the West cheshire Division 1 (Level 12) but haven't put a team out this year.
Scarborough have two rival successor clubs, one at level 9 and one at level 11 (Humberside Premier Divsion)

For 2012-13 the distribution of former league clubs is:

Level 5 (Conference): 14 clubs
Level 6 (Conf N&S): 7 clubs
Level 7: 1 club
Level 8: 2 clubs
Level 9: 4/5 clubs
Level 10: 3 clubs
Level 11: 0/1 Clubs
Level 12: 1 Club

This leaves 10 or so that are defunct.

Of the three I mentioned:
Scarborough are 9 or 11
Rushden are 10
Halifax are 6.
The other major casualty that I forgot about from the modern era is Darlington, whose reformed club play at Level 9.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:14 pm

daeguowl wrote:I looked at the list and if you're generous with reformed phoenix clubs retaining the history of the old club then:

I've been considerably less generous towards this situation ever since Rangers went down that route and I'm all for classing them as completely separate clubs :wink:

Quite surprised at the number of clubs in England that have gone defunct and reformed from looking at that list. I suppose of the non phoenix clubs then probably Workington, non-league since 1977 and currently Conference North, would be the standout 'recent' league club at a pretty low level. Barrow went non-league in 1972 and have just been relegated from the Conference National so they'll be joining Workington at the same level next season.

Am I right in thinking Oxford United are the only club to have fallen from the top flight to non-league football, or was it that they were the only major trophy winning side to go non-league? Presumably there will have been a few pre-war sides in the smaller league set-up who would have played top flight football.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
daeguowl wrote:I looked at the list and if you're generous with reformed phoenix clubs retaining the history of the old club then:

I've been considerably less generous towards this situation ever since Rangers went down that route and I'm all for classing them as completely separate clubs :wink:

Quite surprised at the number of clubs in England that have gone defunct and reformed from looking at that list. I suppose of the non phoenix clubs then probably Workington, non-league since 1977 and currently Conference North, would be the standout 'recent' league club at a pretty low level. Barrow went non-league in 1972 and have just been relegated from the Conference National so they'll be joining Workington at the same level next season.

Am I right in thinking Oxford United are the only club to have fallen from the top flight to non-league football, or was it that they were the only major trophy winning side to go non-league? Presumably there will have been a few pre-war sides in the smaller league set-up who would have played top flight football.

I suppose they were until Luton were relegated...

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:02 am

sjc_three wrote:Colossal final week of fixtures at the bottom of Div 2. Couldn't be tighter at the bottom. Aldershot all but Mathematically down, but there are 6 teams that are within 2 points of each other, and so whom could all realistically be relegated. Wimbledon currently hold that place at the moment, but if they win their last game with Fleetwood, then they will definitely be safe, with Dagenham and York both playing each other. Personally, would really like Wimbledon to pull it off. It's been a long hard road to get back up into the league. It would be a shame for them to lose that league status so soon afterwards. And the Conference is proving to be a tough league to get out of again. You only need to look at the long list of ex-League clubs currently residing there. It would have to be a win though - with their horrible goal difference, a draw would not be enough.

Accrington v Oxford Utd
AFC Wimbledon v Fleetwood
Burton Albion v Gillingham
Cheltenham v Bradford
Chesterfield v Exeter
Dag & Red v York
Northampton v Barnet
Rochdale v Plymouth
Rotherham v Aldershot
Southend v Morecambe
Torquay v Bristol Rovers
Wycombe v Port Vale

And Wimbledon survive (at the expense of Barnet) with a 72nd minute penalty to take a 2-1 win. When Fleetwood equalised in early in the 2nd half, thought it was curtains.

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:25 am

The ending of Brentford v Doncaster was one of the most dramatic finishes to a league season you will ever see...

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 am

True. Must be a strange feeling for Bournemouth fans, disappointed with promotion.

jamesedrupt
National League champion
National League champion

Postby jamesedrupt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:45 pm

That Brentford v Doncaster game was mental at the end. I was watching Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports on my computer. They flashed over there when Brentford were awarded a last minute pen. Trotta the lad on loan from Fulham stepped up and smashed the pen against the bar. If he had scored they would have gone up automatically. From the resulting rebound from the missed pen Doncaster broke quickly and went up the other end and scored in the dying seconds to send them up as champions and put Brentford into the playoffs. Ex Spurs and Pompey striker Paul Walsh was covering the game for Skysports. Mental.

My local team and a side I was on school boy terms with Barnet suffered relegation to the conference last night too. I still keep in contact with a few people associated with the club and they were distraught last night. We have just moved to a brand spanking new ground too. The training facilities (which I frequented last year with the mrs) is top top draw. Most premier league clubs would dream of training there.

The conference for a few seasons now is as good as Div 2. Hence why teams relegated very rarely come straight back up. It takes them 4 or 5 seasons to make the step back up again. Barnet surrounded by Spurs and Arsenal just don't have the fan base and money to cope in the Conference I think. It could be a long and hard road for them. I hope not of course. Kudos to Edgar Davids who worked there for free and over saw all the youth developments. It wasn't him who got us relegated it was our former manager Mark Robson who started the rot. One win in our first thirteen told you the story.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Sorry to see Barnet go down, especially the timing with the stadium. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 pm

It's the turn of the Championship teams to go through the mill this weekend. Still all to play for at both ends of the table. Hull were a mile ahead of Watford a few games ago, but now have just a 1 point lead for that coveted 2nd spot and automatic promotion. You'd have to assume that Cardiff will be over their Championship celebration hangovers, so that's a tough game for Hull with Watford looking at a very winnable game at home to Leeds. There's 4 teams still fighting for the last 2 play off spots as well, although only 3 if Palace beat Millwall midweek. Biggest of the lot is probably the midlands derby between Forest and Leicester. Forest were on an amazing run of form since Billy Davies returned to the club, but have stuttered in the last few weeks. Looks like it could cost them too, as I fancy Bolton to take the points against Blackpool, and slot into that final play off berth.

My prediction for the top 6 are: Cardiff, Watford, Hull, Brighton, Palarse, Bolton, with a Brighton Bolton final in the play offs.

The other end of the table sees a potential 7 teams that could fill the last 2 relegation spots, although in all honesty, you'd have to assume Wolves are gone after their home defeat this weekend and Blackburn have a good enough goal difference to save them. So reckon it's 5 teams fighting to avoid that last relegation place. Barnsley currently hold it, but they face Huddersfield away, needing a win to leapfrog them, so clearly anything could happen there. Personally though, I think a draw would be enough for both as I can't see Peterborough taking anything from their game against Palace at Selhurst Park - and they are my tip to go down alongside Wolves and Bristol City.

Looking forward to it!

NPOWER CHAMPIONSHIP

Birmingham v Blackburn 12:45
Bolton v Blackpool 12:45
Brighton v Wolves 12:45
Burnley v Ipswich 12:45
Charlton v Bristol City 12:45
Crystal Palace v Peterborough 12:45
Derby v Millwall 12:45
Huddersfield v Barnsley 12:45
Hull v Cardiff 12:45
Nottm Forest v Leicester 12:45
Sheff Wed v Middlesbrough 12:45
Watford v Leeds United 12:45

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu May 09, 2013 12:32 am

Alex Ferguson will retire after this season.

Respect.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 am

Pigs heads in lockers and bricks thrown though car windscreens. Never a dull moment at Stoke City, it seems.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon May 20, 2013 3:10 am

Yeovil promoted to the Championship...can they make the final step up?

Return to “World football”