Scottish Football 2012-13

Everything else football-wise.
Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Scottish Football 2012-13

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Fifth round draw, and TV has decided Dundee Unt v Rangers is tie of the round. Rangers, still annoyed that SPL clubs didn't parachute their brand new team straight into the top league, have decided to take it out on Dundee Unt. They apparently " were actively engaged in trying to harm Rangers," and the fans will be boycotting the game. Not sure who else is on this list of teams that are getting boycotted but fingers crossed St. Mirren are one of them. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20595802

Full draw for the 5th round -

Dundee Utd V Rangers
Dundee V Turriff United/Morton
Dunfermline V Dumbarton/Hamilton
Falkirk V Forfar
Hibernian V Aberdeen/Motherwell
Kilmarnock V Ross County/Inverness CT
Raith Rovers V Celtic/Arbroath
St Mirren V Cowdenbeath/St Johnstone
Bring back King Cha.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Didn't Rangers actively engage in trying to harm the entire league over several years?
Anyang Fo' Life

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:43 pm

njs wrote:Didn't Rangers actively engage in trying to harm the entire league over several years?

I suppose you could say that if you were being kind.

Several decades is probably more accurate though.
Bring back King Cha.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am

Abroath lost at home to Celtic in their Cup replay. Clearly Celtic's continental experience have taught them how to agonizingly draw out a 1-0 lead until blood starts to pour out of spectator's ears. (Abroath actually had a few good, late chances to equalize.)

The Greenock Morton vs. Turriff United (Highland League) replay was postponed until this coming Monday due to Scottish weather. Wonder if Sky might put it on the telly...

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:25 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:Abroath lost at home to Celtic in their Cup replay. Clearly Celtic's continental experience have taught them how to agonizingly draw out a 1-0 lead until blood starts to pour out of spectator's ears. (Abroath actually had a few good, late chances to equalize.)

The Greenock Morton vs. Turriff United (Highland League) replay was postponed until this coming Monday due to Scottish weather. Wonder if Sky might put it on the telly...

Arbroath actually had a goal chopped off for a pretty dubious foul. If it had been at the other end I doubt it would have been disallowed.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:02 am

Been a while since the last update, but a 4-3 away win for St. Mirren is more than enough to tempt me back on to the thread!

Celtic unsuprisingly were busy pulling away at the top, but were stopped from running away with the league totally by a 1-0 loss at Hibs this weekend.
Celtic's biggest advantage is that there hasn't really been any one challenger emerge, as everyone seems to be beating each other, going on good runs, followed by having bad months. Hibs were the latest team to do that, they were top at one stage, but their win against Celtic came after they had only picked up one point in their previous four games.

Dundee look in trouble, but they might be close enough to Ross County to persuade them to spend a bit of money in January to have a go at staying up. They should have some, as they were budgeting for a first division campaign until Rangers went bust.

Everyone else will be trying to hang on to their best players. There's a BBC article about who's off here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20824715

Usually a better way to do it, is have a quick look at the top scorers chart. It gives the best indication who'll be off to England in January. Griffiths is on loan from Wolves and the rest. :smt006

1 Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian) 14
1 Billy McKay (Inverness) 14
3 Niall McGinn (Aberdeen) 13
4 Michael Higdon (Motherwell) 12
5. Jamie Murphy (Motherwell) 10

Code: Select all

1. Celtic         40
2. Inverness      34
3. Motherwell     34
4. Hibernian      31
5. Aberdeen       30
6. Kilmarnock     27
7. St. Johnstone  27
8. Dundee Unt     25
9. Hearts         25
10. St. Mirren    24
11. Ross County   21
12. Dundee        12

It's been a good season so far. Not having Rangers helps and armageddon hasn't come yet, but something even more unexpected might be around the corner for next season.

Football laughing stock, the soapdodging scumbags that are Greenock Morton are currently top of the first division. Renfrewhire derbies back in the SPL next season! :smt119
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 am

Toys out the pram from The Rangers owner Charles Green once again, despite promising his new club would never play in the SPL if the current folk remained in charge and waiving his new club's voting rights in exchange for fast-track SFA membership:

Gers Should Quit Scotland
09 January 2013

CHARLES GREEN will recommend to the Board that Rangers try to find an escape route from Scottish football if the 12-12-18 reconstruction plans are pushed through.

The Chief Executive knows that in the current political climate it is difficult to play anywhere else, but he firmly believes that Rangers should explore all options as he is firmly against the proposals being hurried through.

In an exclusive interview with RangersTV, Green pulls no punches as he criticises a set-up which he feels most supporters don’t want.

He says the new set-up will render the remainder of the season meaningless and he insists it is only cash that is driving the adoption of the plan.

He said: “If this does happen what is the point of us finishing the season? Why should we send players out to get broken noses – like Ross Perry last week – or have players getting surgery when no-one can get promoted and no-one can get relegated.

“We might as well have a winter break now til next August. I can’t see any point in carrying on with meaningless matches.

“In what league do you win a division and then end up playing the same teams again the following season? There is no meaning to it, in reality.

“I haven’t read anything other than what is in the press and if that is what we have sat here eagerly awaiting to transform Scottish football, my advice to the board of Rangers is the quicker we can leave Scottish football the better.

“I can’t see anything that is going to transform the finances, the status or the excitement.”

Better not try to join the National League or Challengers League then...

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Doesn't it automatically bring them one step closer to the SPL? Isn't that what they want? So the can play their reserves and youth teams for the rest of the year and still "go up"?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:15 pm

I think Chuck is grandstanding here to the sizeable element of the Rangers support who buy in to the whole "everyone's out to get us" theories and ensuring he keeps them on side that bit longer.

I'm not really a fan of the new proposed 12-12-18 set-up - it's what the Swiss used to use apparently, with teams in the top two divisions playing each other home and away for 22 matches and then being split in to three groups of eight. The top eight and bottom eight would carry on from where they left off, to battle for the championship & Europe in the top group and to avoid relegation to the third tier in the bottom group. The middle group would have their points reset to zero with the top four teams playing in the top flight the following season and the bottom four teams playing in the second tier. Seems an awfully convoluted way of running a league season.

That said, if The Rangers don't like this new plan and want to leave then I fucking love it and hope it gets voted in. 12-12-17 sounds perfect.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 pm

Rothesay might be posted MIA for a few days yet so I'm sure he won't mind me posting this one on his behalf...

"Running to those St. Mirren fans was one of the best moments of my life, let me tell you" - Steven Thompson

Cracking win for St. Mirren over Celtic in the League Cup semi-final at Hampden yesterday. All the stats pointed to yet another tanking for them, since Danny Lennon took over as manager their record against Celtic was played eight, lost eight, scored 0, conceded 22. For some reason though, Celtic under Neil Lennon have a bit of a habit at bottling it at Hampden (recent defeats to Ross County, Kilmarnock and the club formerly known as Rangers in semis or finals) and it was the same again yesterday. Went along in the St. Mirren end as a bit of an honourary St. Mirren fan and it was great to be supporting a team that goes to Hampden and has a right good go at the opposition. Take note, Aberdeen.

A thorougly deserved 3-2 win in the end despite the best efforts of scumbags like Scott Brown and referee Willie Collum to engineer a Celtic win. Celtic were awarded a rather soft penalty just after the break, Charlie Mulgrew stepped up to take it and hit one of the worst spot kicks I've seen for a long time which was saved easily. Mulgrew then went and conceded a penalty at the other end which St. Mirren scored from, though he did himself net a consolation so deep into injury time that the referee blew for full time whilst Craig Samson was picking the ball out the net.

St. Mirren now face Hearts in the final on March 17th, of course Hearts won the Scottish Cup back in May but this is St. Mirren's first final since the 2010 League Cup where they had all the help they could possibly have hoped for with Rangers RIP having two men sent off and they still went and lost...

Oh and just on Neil Lennon, when the League Cup final rolls around and one of the two teams emerges victorious it will have meant that Lennon has collected only two of the seven trophies available to him since taking over as Celtic manager. One was a Scottish Cup final win over Motherwell with some help from the referee and another a league title when Rangers had a points deduction and eventually died. That's not very good. Last sixteen of the Champions League is papering over the cracks nicely this year though.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Rothesay might be posted MIA for a few days yet so I'm sure he won't mind me posting this one on his behalf...

"Running to those St. Mirren fans was one of the best moments of my life, let me tell you" - Steven Thompson

Top stuff HJ, Got to admit, I was quite excited last night. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Love the picture of Steven Thompson above, and I think the fact that it also has Scott Brown looking like someone has just done a shite in his cornflakes makes it even better. :-)

Like everyone on here, I guess one of the reasons I love football so much is that stuff like this can happen. Its a cliche, that we need to play at 100% and hope that Celtic had an off day, but thats what it was and that is what happened.

Just to put it even more into context, Celtic turned down a bid for Hooper in midweek for 5million. You could buy St. Mirren for that. Three times over.

The game was awesome right from the start. The commentary before the game was all about how the big Hampden pitch would suit Celtic more, but it was amazing to see us being the team to take it down the wings and run at the defenders right from the kick off.

Obviosuly Celtic were poor. From what I've seen and heard about Victor Wanyama there won't be too many days when he'll look like he is worth 10p instead of 10million. Georgios Samaras looked like he was playing in a game of five a sides down the park and Neil Lennon probably booted him all the way across Glasgow for a performance like that.

We were great though, every single player on the park all working for each other. Isma scoring after eight minutes on his debut, McGowan not long back and looking as great as he did at the start of the season. Thomson who could probably be making twice as much money elsewhere, but is playing for St. Mirren because its his team. All you heard on TV was the 5,000 Saints fans singing throughout the game. Interviews after the game with the players and chairman almost in tears.

More than makes up for the slightly disappointing season we are having in the league. I'd normally be delighted to be one place above relegation. But with former internationals likeThomson and Teale, alongisde some of the best young players we've had coming through in the last ten years, plus a pretty good deal with Newcastle letting us bring in some of their fringe players, was hoping for a little bit more this year.

Now we got it. :)

Bring on the Jam Tarts!
Bring back King Cha.

willamangiro
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby willamangiro » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 pm

Watched the game Sunday night and thought how much you'd be loving it boss. Despite my only reason for following St Mirren being a legendary FM2012 game (winning the SPL in style thanks for 30 goals from Nigel Hasslebaink :D ), I really got quite excited when those goals went in / the penalty save. Fantastic win for the underdogs, lets hope they can see off Hearts in March.
http://www.kleaguefootball.com ; The unofficial English language home of Korean K-League football. Articles, News and Podcast. Follow on twitter or facebook at http://www.twitter.com/kleaguefootball or http://www.facebook.com/kleaguefootball

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:Love the picture of Steven Thompson above, and I think the fact that it also has Scott Brown looking like someone has just done a shite in his cornflakes makes it even better. :-)

Yeah that just about makes it the perfect picture. As said Thompson's a St. Mirren fan and from that celebration and his quote it clearly meant so much to him to score, and what a goal it was too. It really was surreal when the third went in, the celebrations from the players were just as wild as the fans. When Celtic grabbed their equaliser Scott Brown ran past the goal and indulged in a load of fist-pumping towards the St. Mirren fans so it just makes it all the sweeter. Get it up you, Brown.

It's the turn of the Scottish Cup this weekend with St. Mirren hosting St. Johnstone and Aberdeen traveling to Easter Road to face Hibs. The two teams ground out a 0-0 at the weekend so more of the same this time around no doubt. The biggie will of course be Third Division leaders The Rangers' visit to Dundee United, with the home side having parted company with manager Peter Houston yesterday because he wasn't going to renew his contract on reduced terms at the end of the season. They've appointed Jackie McNamara, who had Partick Thistle challenging for promotion to the SPL, and the cup tie on Sunday will be his debut as United manager.

The confused The Rangers fans are meant to be boycotting this game because Dundee United were one of the big bad clubs that wouldn't bend over backwards for FC Newhuns to parachute in to the SPL when Oldco died, but there'll be thousands of them there regardless. They'll have something else to be up in arms soon as the independent commission into player payments has begun which could result in titles being stripped from the dead club. Probably not, but they should do just for shits and giggles.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm

No updates in this thread for a while but there's not much going on in the world of Scottish football. Three of the four leagues have runaway leaders with almost unassailable leads - Celtic are 21 points clear in the Premier, Queen of the South are 21 points clear in the Second and Rangers just have to be awkward with their 22 point clear lead in the Third. Things are considerably tighter in the First as just five points separate Partick in second from Morton in first, and Partick have two games in hand as well.

Dundee lie fifteen points adrift at the foot of the SPL so they'll be playing First Division football again next season. Airdrie are five points behind their closest rivals at the bottom of the First and everyone above them has games in hand so not looking good for them. Albion Rovers are twelve points behind second-bottom Stranraer in the Second Division but it's a lot closer in the Third with five points separating the bottom five clubs.

It's Scottish Cup quarter-final weekend this coming weekend. Dundee United did the business by dumping Rangers out in the previous round, though Aberdeen managed to prolong their wait for their first final since 2000 by losing to Hibs. One First Division side is guaranteed to be in the semis as Hamilton host Falkirk. St. Mirren have the chance to dump Celtic out of a second cup competition this season, but their form since beating St. Johnstone 2-0 in the previous round has been shit to say the least and this will be a tough one...

Scottish Cup Quarter-finals (March 2/3)
St. Mirren v Celtic
Hamilton v Falkirk
Dundee v Dundee United
Kilmarnock v Hibernian

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Congratulations, RothesaySaint!

Return to “World football”