Euro 2012 Finals

Everything else football-wise.
Piggy
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Euro 2012 Finals

Postby Piggy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:26 pm

I dont know if everyone (or indeed anyone) has noticed but registration is now open for ticket sales. I'm planning a trip there but have absolutely no idea which city or cities to try and get tickets for.

I'm not bothered about following England, in fact I'd be quite happy if none of my tickets turned out to be for Cappello's lot. It's more the locations I'm interested in. So, for those with a better knowledge of Ukraine and/or Poland, is there a city or two that you would recommend? Or any that you would avoid?

I briefly visited Kiev a couple of years ago and had a nose around one of their stadiums, although I think that they might be building a new one. Having seen Kiev I'll probably avoid going back so that I can go somewhere new. I'd definitely recommend it though. The girls were stunning, although I might as well have been invisible to them. Mind you, there's possibilities in that.

My Polish experience is limited to driving from Warsaw airport to Ostrava in the nearby Czech Republic for the Boro's first European away game (if you exclude the not particularly prestigious Anglo-Italian Cup for 2nd Division sides in the early 1990's). So Poland is pretty much all new to me.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Euro 2012 Finals

Postby sjc_three » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Piggy wrote:(if you exclude the not particularly prestigious Anglo-Italian Cup for 2nd Division sides in the early 1990's).

Ahhhh - happy memories. I absolutely loved that tournament and was gutted when West Ham got knocked out. I very nearly went on the away supporters coach to Cremonese, but, to my eternal regret, chickened out at the last minute as I couldn't persuade anyone else to go with me. It cost 80 quid all in (can you imagine that now!) and it's definitely one of my "one that got away" matches. Over 2,000 fans went out for it and despite losing 2-0, it was apparently a real party atmosphere amongst the travelling support. I was devasted too when we failed to beat Pisa in the last game to go through the semis at the expense of Derby. Odd really, cos nobody else seemed to give a shit about it - think West Ham were struggling to get more than about 5,000 for home games - but I loved it. Was very into Italian football at the time though - I think that was the height of the Channel 4 Football Italia era - so that probably had a lot to do with it.

In 2 minds about Euro 2012 really. Now that I've broken my run of attending tournaments England have been involved in, I feel like a free man again. Will probably decide nearer the time. The 2 Euros I've been to before (2000 and 2004) were both very easy for tickets on the day though mate, for anything other than England/Holland/Germany matches and we were picking up sometimes very expensive tickets for pennies before the game - best one I can remember was my mate getting a Cat A ticket for the France v Portugal 2000 semi final for 10 quid. I'd bought mine in advance for 150 euros! (I was not a happy bunny!) The touts couldn't get rid of them for love nor money. If you're planning on avoiding England matches, I wouldn't bother with buying any in advance and just leave it till you get there. What sort of money are they asking out of interest?

Piggy

Postby Piggy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:36 pm

There arent any ticket prices on the website yet SJC, just a note that some tickets will be sold to locals for 30 euros. I missed out on the Anglo-Italian trips too. I was married in those days and me being allowed to go to one of the away games was as likely as Lennie Lawrence selecting me to play up front.

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 am

Now some people claim that Korea is a strange country where people do inscrutable acts that make no sense at all...

But there's this group of women in Ukraine who protest about things to do with feminism by taking their kit off, and in particular don't want the Euro2012 tournament held there because of all the prostitution and oogling of naked Ukrainian women it will cause (WARNING link contains PUNG) http://lvivcafe.com/blog/femen-against-euro-2012-as-prostitution-festival/

As they say themselves “Femen will do their best to put different obstacles in the way of UEFA and Euro 2012 coming to Ukraine, including topless protests.” I wonder just how many topless protests they think it will take to stop the games. According to wikipedia "some of the goals of the organisation are: "To develop leadership, intellectual and moral qualities of the young women in Ukraine" and "To build up the image of Ukraine, the country with great opportunities for women." There has to be some rational explanation behind this. Could it be a spoof or some bizarre ambush marketing? But there's loads of it, other issues too, like the NZ radio show who gave away a Ukrainian wife in a competition. Correct response? Whip your baps out and have your photo taken holding up a sign saying "Ukraine is not a brothel". Here, do your bit for feminism in Ukraine and check it out, even pass it on to your mates http://lvivcafe.com/blog/tag/femen/

:smt120 :smt119 :smt120

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Only been to one stadium in Poland, the national one in Chorzov which is literally about a mile from Katovice. It was my first Eastern European experience and I absolutely loved it, but I think the stadium has been rebuilt since them and I wouldn't be surprised if the city has also lost some of it's decaying post-Soviet bloc charm since then too. I drove there with a couple of Accrington Stanley fans in an orange Cortina that was older than me, but would probably fly next time!

I agree that cheap tickets on the day will be floating around like confetti for all games except those involving the two hosts and teams with big travelling support like any British Isles teams who qualify and the likes of Germany, Holland, etc. If past experience is any guide, huge numbers of locals will max out their credit cards buying the maximum personal allocation in the hope they can re-sell them to England fans for 10x face value. The game then happens to be Bulgaria v Italy and all of the 500 travelling fans have tickets through their own FAs already, and suddenly 10,000 people are stuck with 4 tickets each they can't give away. UEFA of course will threaten to check ID on the gates to beat the black market, but in practice that would mean an even emptier stadium so they never carry out their threat as it would look crap for the cameras. My days of enduring the hassle of watching England away are over, so in a nutshell if I went I'd attend as a neutral and would pick and choose low key games in interesting places where getting tickets would be no issue.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon May 02, 2011 12:14 am

Cyclops wrote:Only been to one stadium in Poland, the national one in Chorzov which is literally about a mile from Katovice. It was my first Eastern European experience and I absolutely loved it, but I think the stadium has been rebuilt since them and I wouldn't be surprised if the city has also lost some of it's decaying post-Soviet bloc charm since then too. I drove there with a couple of Accrington Stanley fans in an orange Cortina that was older than me, but would probably fly next time!

I really should've posted before, given that I was born in Poland. On the other hand, most of
you who have travelled for matches there probably know more about the place than I do.

I do have quite a lot of friends who visit Poland regularly, and based on what they say, it sounds like Poland will be a depressingly "western" destination. Arguably Poland was always western (see Samuel P. Huntington) but that generally means nothing to the man on the street
(who may or may not buy a meal for you, and bore you to death over couple bottles of vodka).

Where I think EURO 2012 really hits off is Ukraine. This is where you want to go if you want
to have a good time. A lot of Ukrainian girls have a Nordic look, without the Swedish price
structure, so if that is your thing, you will enjoy it. At the same time there is the Asiatic (tartar) influence you can find that as well (if you begin to miss Korea too much). A lot of the Ukrainian girls are also less inhibited (than in Poland). If that does not make sense, I'm happy to explain this further, but for the moment I'll skip.

An almost criminal thing is that Krakow/Cracow is not included in Poland. I haven't met anyone who did not enjoy their time there, but perhaps because of commercial reasons that city was excluded. It is a shame, because that would've been an excellent experience.

For anyone who goes to Poland, I'm happy to translate and help with the language side of things. I'm not going to do a word for word translation (unless it's short), put other than that happy to assist.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat May 07, 2011 12:36 am

nzfooty wrote:For anyone who goes to Poland, I'm happy to translate and help with the language side of things. I'm not going to do a word for word translation (unless it's short), put other than that happy to assist.

Do you know of anywhere online that has reliable kick-off times for the Ekstraklasa and Liga 1 matches a few weeks in advance (till end of this season)? worldfootball.net and ekstraklasa.net have them for this weekend's games (kolejka 25) but no times for the later rounds. Do they have a rule like in Germany that the games of the last couple of rounds all have to be played at the same time? (This would scupper any grand plans of a groundhopping weekend.)

I was thinking of going to Poznan tomorrow for the game against Zabrze. There's a direct train from Berlin that arrives in Poznan 5 minutes after the game kicks off. :smt091

There's also a direct return train from Poznan to Berlin at 20:35 which would have been perfect for me but it runs every day except Saturdays. :smt092

ultras
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby ultras » Mon May 09, 2011 9:24 am

POLAND
Poznan 43.098

stadiums under construction
Warsaw 58.145

Gdansk 44.000

Wroclaw 42.721

WORLD FOOTBALL ULTRAS

http://www.ultras-tifo.net

ultras
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby ultras » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 am

POLISH FANS

Action: Unmet GOVERNMENT PROMISES = red herring FANS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJEKN-vFMZg

A little over a year away from the start of the UEFA European Football Championship EURO 2012. Poland and Ukraine entered the final phase of preparations for this event. At this stage the most strategic investment you should have already completed or in final stages of implementation. Unfortunately, it appears that the longer the list of those that will not be completed before the EURO2012, or will be able to cast provisional.

However, a few weeks the media have reported that the greatest threat events are no delays in the construction of key roads, the modernization of the rail network and airports, and the fans. Such information is all the more surprising that while the media is reporting a record number of people willing to purchase tickets for the matches and games.

With great concern the National Union of Associations of supporters watching the action, taken by politicians and state bodies, directed against the Polish fans. Under the guise of hooliganism and banditry are trying to destroy the whole, independent and free, environment, football supporters, members of different associations of fans. Are taken to this end all means, in particular, pressure is put on the club owners and activists, but also known for several previous years,First of all, the use of stadium ban for minor offenses-in particular, for swearing is disproportionate to the seriousness of violations. What more the fans are only punished, while the coaches, players and other participants in sporting events, which obscene expression very familiar with viewers, do not bear the slightest consequence. This type of repression have met in recent weeks, supporters of Wodzislaw Slaski and Kielce.

Similarly, members of the groups overlap associations, fan clubs and groups of ultras by the police in their homes and workplaces, as well as interviewing the neighbors environmental inquiries, she recalls as a live performance of departments in a bygone era. For several weeks, supporters are creating a public enemy in the foreground. Perpetuating the stereotype of stadium bandit assist the shares straight from the movie thrillers: the detention before and after the game, stopping at the residence, housing searches,

Overt symptom of hypocrisy is to impose fines for drinking beer before or after a match in the face of changes prepared by the politicians, in order to sell beer during the EURO 2012 matches. These changes are being prepared under the pressure of sponsors representing the brewing industry.

Politicians, media people and people with shimmering authorities, a few weeks discussing the problem of large fans. However, such discussions are missing the representatives of those who are the subject of public debate - the supporters. Surprising that the more that representatives OZSK repeatedly before they were invited to talk with members - during the work on the new Law on Mass Events Security, the ministers - in the Security Council for running mass events at the Ministry of

Association represented by OZSK tried to draw attention to matters relating to the EURO2012 and the above problems, in particular the creation of a replacement theme, which are "problems with the fans, during the last two turns of football, by displaying banners. Display of the banner is not an offense or crime, could therefore not be fighting with supporters of penal repression methods. Thus, clubs were fined disciplinary methods of repression.

We draw attention again to the growing, incommensurate with the threat, repression. We urge once again to take a sober discussion, based on arguments and not on stereotypes and inducing a sense of danger.

Since, the stadiums are so dangerous, and the fans are so dangerous, why did the organizing bodies of game attendance record with new records in Polish stadiums? Since, the stadiums are so dangerous, and the fans are so dangerous, why is the Police Headquarters, in its report for 2010, published in March 2011, indicates a significant decrease in breaches of conduct for sporting events and a significant increase in the safety of these events? Since, the stadiums are so ni.
Support the Europe us in this action!

OZSK=National Association of Supporters Associations

Lech and Legia stadiums closed to fans - :finger

Legia fans protest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3LM9PlVTY

Lech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbiTaTv2HRI

protests throughout the country:
http://www.wladcytrybun.pl/index.php/co ... e-1kolejka

http://www.wladcytrybun.pl/index.php/co ... -2-kolejka

http://www.wladcytrybun.pl/index.php/co ... e-3kolejka

http://wladcytrybun.pl/index.php/compon ... a-zamknita

Ultras liberta per gli! Pyro legalize!
WORLD FOOTBALL ULTRAS

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat May 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Not much chance of an end of season football trip to Poland with away fans being banned from the top three leagues until the end of the season. Maybe living in Germany qualifies me as a "home fan" at Szczecin but trying that might lead to me getting locked up. I'm still holding out hope for the Argentina friendly, not sure I want to be part of a riot though.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun May 22, 2011 12:37 pm

eujin wrote:Not much chance of an end of season football trip to Poland with away fans being banned from the top three leagues until the end of the season. Maybe living in Germany qualifies me as a "home fan" at Szczecin but trying that might lead to me getting locked up. I'm still holding out hope for the Argentina friendly, not sure I want to be part of a riot though.

Apologies for not answering your question earlier, eujin. I guess the situation has changed somewhat.

Not sure about the friendly against Argentina.
The home fans have been known to fight among each other at internationals, but if you are not safe there then why did Poland get EURO 2012?

If you do want to go to Szczecin, I'd hope that with a foreign ID they would let you in if
you say you are a tourist. You are not the type of "away" fan they are targeting. At the worst I think you are risking your time being wasted if they do turn you away.

Poland's problem with hooliganism is embarrassing. In fact Poland's achievements in football (given the country has 38 million people) are embarrassing. Perhaps the two are related, perhaps not. Apart from a very good team in the 1970s and early 1980s (twice finishing 3rd at the World Cup) Poland hasn't shown much at all. Some blame it on the situation that was created following the fall of communism but then look at other former (and smaller!) communist nations, and many have outperformed Poland in the last two decades.

Still, I hope things will get better. There is a great desire to reform football in Poland (inc. dealing with the corruption within PZPN (Polish FA)) but sometimes uncle Sepp is perhaps not as supportive as he should be:

Fifa scandal: Five problems to tackle

What next for Fifa? Here are five suggestions for ways in which football's governing body can improve its reputation

[...]

3 End rule barring 'government interference' in FAs

Since its election in October 2007 Poland's Civic Platform government has scored a unique achievement: it has been the only European Union economy to have grown throughout the global financial crisis. The widespread corruption in the game that had seen 120 individuals arraigned for match-fixing was something of a national embarrassment. But despite the threats to the sport's integrity in Poland it was only when the prime minister, Donald Tusk, moved to dissolve the national association's board of directors with the words "I will complete the clean-up of Polish football of the corruption and all the dirt it has been mired in" did Fifa intervene in Polish football. And how? In the only way it knows: threatening to suspend the Polish FA unless it reinstated the PZPN federation, with Uefa falling into line with a warning Poland would be stripped of the Euro hosting rights.

Likelihood of it happening

Zero.

[...]

Here is the situation with the away fans eujin was referring to:

FA in hooligan-hit Poland bans away fans

Friday, May 13th, 2011

WARSAW (AFP) – Poland’s PZPN national football association on Thursday banned away fans from all remaining first, second and third division matches of the season, as pressure mounts to beat hooliganism before Euro 2012.

A day after Prime Minister Donald Tusk ratcheted up the pressure by warning that hooliganism posed a threat to the European Championships, due to be held next year in Poland and Ukraine, the PZPN board held a crisis meeting.

“The PZPN board has decided that all remaining league games in the Ekstraklasa, and Leagues I and II for the 2010-211 season will take place without visiting supporters,” it said in a statement.

The decision, which the PZPN underlined was taken at the request of Poland’s police chief, came after talks on Wednesday between its chief Grzegorz Lato, Tusk and other officials, and representatives of clubs.

Tusk hailed the decision.

“I back their thinking, notably because this was at the request of the police, and the police should have the casting vote when it comes to security,” he told reporters.

“It’s evident that the presence of a large group of away supporters increases the risk of conflict. To deal with this, we’ll all be looking for tough, radical measures,” he added.

There are four remaining matchdays in Poland’s 16-club top flight, the Ekstraklasa, which wraps up on May 29.

The decision affects six matchdays in the 18-club League I, where the season ends on June 11. Six matchdays also remain in League II, which ends on June 12 and it split into two separate, 18-club regional competitions.

The PZPN also called on Poland’s provincial football associations, which oversee League III downwards, to move to bar away fans.

Tusk, himself an ardent fan and Sunday league player, has pledged to do all he can to stem hooliganism ahead of Euro 2012, which represents a showcase as it is the first edition of the 16-nation tournament to take place behind the former Iron Curtain.

Fan violence and the drive to stamp it out has been front-page news since last week, when fans of Ekstraklasa powerhouses Lech Poznan and Legia Warsaw marred Poland’s cup final in the northern city of Bydgoszcz.

After a 1-1 draw, Legia won 5-4 on penalties and supporters of both sides invaded the pitch. Besides assaulting police, stewards and reporters, they also smashed up seats.

The PZPN called the fans behaviour “shameful”.

Polish police say they have detained 38 people involved in the Bydgoszcz trouble. They warned that more arrests were on the cards because they had identified a total of 70 individuals involved and may want to question several hundred in total.

The police have faced criticism from Polish media for failing to make arrests at the match, in contrast with the tougher approach of police in many other European nations.

After the cup final, Polish authorities ordered Lech and Legia to play their next home matches in empty grounds.

That sparked a protest by 3,000 Legia fans outside their stadium on Friday, some wearing masks and threatening reporters. (Brainless twats - what's that supposed to achieve?)The authorities were unbowed and ordered closures at other violence-hit clubs.

Even before the brawl in Bydgoszcz, had announced measures such as fast-track trials inside stadiums, with judges hearing cases by video-link.

In addition, hooligans who have already been banned from Poland’s stadiums face electronic tagging and immediate jail if they breach their conditions.

Around 1,800 people are currently serving hooliganism-related stadium bans in Poland, a nation of 38 million, but clubs have sometimes climbed down on barring high-profile hardcore fan leaders after match boycotts by supporters. (Why not then look at marketing the games to other groups, such as families? Those Neanderthals should be left to slap each other in the forests?)

The PZPN said the latest trouble was a wake-up call, and urged a stiffer application of bans.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun May 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Perhaps what I have written above is too gloomy. Manchester City seem to like Lech Poznan fans.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun May 22, 2011 5:40 pm

nzfooty wrote:Not sure about the friendly against Argentina.
The home fans have been known to fight among each other at internationals, but if you are not safe there then why did Poland get EURO 2012?

I remember telling one of my Polish mates (not a football fan) about one fan dying at an Poland-England match from infighting amongst the home fans and his response was "only one?" This was years ago though.

I'd like to say things have gotten a lot better in Eastern Germany over the past decade or so. Touch wood, there's actually very little trouble nowadays, although Dynamo Berlin still take more coppers away with them than fans. The Bundesliga (all West German teams) is at times amazingly good natured with the beer flowing freely everywhere and a lot of intermingling of fans around the grounds.

ultras
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby ultras » Tue May 24, 2011 6:56 am

WORLD FOOTBALL ULTRAS

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Tue May 24, 2011 4:46 pm

ultras wrote:Football fans against government

http://www.ultras-tifo.net/news/398-pol ... nment.html

:!:

OMG. That's not even remotely accurate.

First, the Jewish remarks. It's sadly too common in Poland to call anyone who disagrees
with your views "a Jew". The flawed logic is that if they are Jewish then automatically they
are anti-Polish and everything they say and do is against the Polish state. It's a tactic to
discredit opponents by exploiting anti-Jewish sentiments. It's pathetic because it's a sign that someone is desperate for support from the lowest common denominator.

Another one is to call someone a communist, even when they are clearly a capitalist. The PM's and President's political party (PO) is centre-right, btw.

Secondly, PO is doing so well because most Poles don't want to live in a theocracy (even though many are catholic). The PiS government was ultra-conservative and did a lot of harm to Poland's international reputation. The PiS President, Lech Kaczynski, was extremely unpopular in Poland just prior to his death. PO did not benefit from his death - they were cruising. The individuals who benefited from Kaczynski's death was his brother and those close to him. He almost won the Presidential elections thanks to the sympathy vote.

And what's this bullshit about Poland being a second Belarus? Economically Poland has a long way to go, but it has, as it has often been pointed out, the only growing economy in the EU during the financial crisis. A lot of this has to do with PO's policies...

As for the Cup final:

For real it was nothing serious, just normal situation like everywhere when fans celebrate important title but prime minister only waited for this.

That's normal? Are you having a laugh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvhDmOSveaY

Polish "fans" caused a huge embarrassment a few months ago in Lithuania, destroying the stadium and fighting with the police. [Next someone will suggest PO run the police in Lithuania as well].

Polish players said that they hope there would be a day when whole families could attend matches and there would be no violence in the stands.

Polish stadiums are empty because normal fans are afraid to go there out fear of being attacked. It has been like that for 20+ years.

It's great to show passion and show and support for your team, but why the need for violence and demolishing stadiums? Some suggest fans like that don't care about the football -- in fact they are actively competing with the football played on the pitch, trying to draw attention to themselves instead.

Return to “World football”