European groundhopping thread

Everything else football-wise.
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: European groundhopping thread

Postby SteveW » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm not quite sure how the rules could be tightened as I think there would always be a way around it. I'm not really convinced that FFP does anything right now but it certainly seems like it does do anything it preserves the status quo for big clubs and little clubs. I think the only way around that would be to look at some kind of system where the wealth is redistributed throughout the league(s) but the big clubs have an obvious interest in not going along with that. The story of football since about the 90s seems to be big clubs consolidating their wealth and power and then using that to gain even more wealth and power. The latest moves to make the Champions League an even more closed shop are just the newest iteration of that.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:24 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:So we want an end to silly money in English football, yet we want to allow the smaller giants to be able to spend with impunity, which causes a financial ripple effect that thunders all the way down into non-League? Doesn't that thinking contradict itself?

I don't think it necessarily does. Obviously not every club in England can have a megastore in Singapore or be supported by a tenth of the world's population. By their own reckoning only 01.% of Manchester United fans come from Manchester. It's not even possible for every team in the Premiership to compete with that. Either we punt the likes of Man Utd off into their own super league or we give up the pretence of trying to compete with them. To compete with Man Utd under FPP, you not only need to assemble a squad that's at least as good as theirs, but you need to do so with far less money. It's not a level playing field.

I'm not sure things are so bad for Bolton and Bradford fans. They're both in League One at the moment with Swindon. Bolton's population is smaller than Swindon and Bradford have spent most of their history since the 1930's in tier three or four. The fans have a ball for a few seasons while someone showers them with cash and then they disappear again back where they came. As long as this isn't allowed to drive clubs out of existence - and you do need rules for that - I don't see it as a disaster.

You could cap league ticket prices at "twenty is plenty" and still have room for sugar daddies. You could redistribute TV and merchandising money further down the pyramid, much further down, and still have room for sugar daddies. You could impose a salary cap at the £7million a year that Bolton spend and still have Halesowen Town making a dash for the top by spending £7million of someone else's money if they ever got so lucky.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:08 am

I did end up going to watch the greatest team in the world play in Ayr. Internet photos had misled me into thinking that they had proper old school floodlights at Somerset Park but apparently they were replaced a few years ago with something that just isn't the same. Still, I can't complain, as everything else was just what I wanted; crumbling brickwork, proper clicking turnstiles, covered terraces, uncovered terraces, colourful language and probably the worst meat pie I've ever had in my life.

The football wasn't brilliant, both teams look like they'll struggle this year and St Mirren certainly didn't look out of place in the Championship. I enjoyed the story about how David Murray had wanted to pump his millions into his local club Ayr, but they turned him down. They could have been a match away from the Champions League final and wound up by now. There were regular and cheap trains from Glasgow, nice views of the golf courses and over to Arran and Ayr itself was not as bad as I'd been led to believe. All in all, a decent day out. Also managed to see the museum at Hampden, which, as Rothesay says, is well worth the trip.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Good stuff. It's been years since I have been at Somerset Park, but it sounds like it hasn't changed much. Glad you enjoyed the museum at Hampden, it s really well done and the people on staff are really friendly and obviously love their job.

Saw Saints a couple of times when I was back, getting horsed by Hibs and being lucky to get a point against the soap dodgers. The way the season has been going so far I'll be happy if we keep our place in the Championship and our record of having spent every single season in the top two divisions since the league began 126 years ago.
Bring back King Cha.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Have you lot read A Season with the Honest Men?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:50 am

Got a lot of love for Ayr United right now, I saw them beat Lowland League side Gretna 2008 by the rather comprehensive scoreline of 8-0 in a pre-season friendly tournament a couple of months ago, and in doing so they have displaced the 7-0 thumping I saw Celtic inflict on Aberdeen back in 1999 as the biggest margin of victory in any match I've ever seen. Needless to say I didn't see very many Seoul Martyrs matches.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:43 am

Went to my local team today and it was a Non league classic.

Home side scored with their first shot but then 20 stone keeper hauled down the away team striker and gave away a pen for the equaliser.

Some of the worst refereeing and linesmaning ever seen. Chopped off a goal for the visitors for offside even though the scorer had to turn a defender to finish then called a one on one offside when the ball was played through by the defender.

It was getting a bit heated and the away keeper was giving it big licks. His side took the lead with a cracking shot from distance but a good free kick and finish levelled it. Then it kicked off.

Away side went 3-2 up when a rubbish floated cross was headed straight to the opposition striker by our number 2.

Our number 9 then stamped on one of their guys and kicked off a 20 man brawl. Their keeper came rushing out and swung some punches then their manager joined in and was swinging his fists a good ten yards onto the field.

Ref called both linos over to confer while being berated from all sides and took a good give to ten minutes to decide it was a red for our guy and a yellow for theirs plus no action against their coach.

Another defensive shambles and it was 4-2. Then full time.

More confrontations at full time and the everyone decided the ref was a joke. Even the oppo were laughing at him and calling him Sunday league.

Well worth a fiver that.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 am

Some nutter in the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -adventure

I'm off to Deventer on Monday in the Netherlands. One of my favourite grounds.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:59 am

eujin wrote:Some nutter in the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -adventure

I'm off to Deventer on Monday in the Netherlands. One of my favourite grounds.

Brilliant idea for a year off. I'm pretty jealous, but I have been to Gori (Stalin's hometown), so I'm one up on him there.

I reckon I've been to games in only 11 UEFA nations. Not as many as I thought to be honest.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Uh-oh, you've got me counting now and I think I'm on 19. I have been promising myself I'd go watch a match in Luxembourg when there's one of sufficient importance. But when was the last time there was an important match in Luxembourg? According to someone on the Scottish news a few weeks back, you could cover the entire country with loft insulation for only 75 pounds.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Think I'm pretty feeble. Scotland England France Germany Croatia. That might be it. Feels like it should be more but that's all I can think of

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:19 am

I'm quite low on numbers as well, plenty of games in total but not many countries.. Scotland, England, Ireland, France, Belgium, Austria, Czech Republic off the top of my head.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm

You guys have me beat. Nothing in Europe and only South Korea, the USA, and Canada on my list.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:12 am

My grpundhopping plans for a week off in Scotland were curtailed by a dodgy tenant giving me endless work to do on my house and my dad being admitted to hospital.

Airdrie Cowdenbeath and Alloa plans scrapped and the only ground I got to was the one I'd been to before.

Mind you thinking back this might be groundbreaking as I think it's the one and only time I have seen aberdeen win at pittodrie. Can't think of any others.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 am

Went to both Hillsborough and Bramall Lane last week, two relatively decent grounds with bags of character. The matchday experience at both just served to remind how fucked up things are in Scotland where we are still not trusted to partake of the odd alcoholic beverage or six deep in the bowels of the stadium, all because Celtic and Rangers fans had a bit of a rammy 35+ years ago..

Return to “World football”