2012 Olympic Football Tournament

Everything else football-wise.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2012 Olympic Football Tournament

Postby nzfooty » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Oceania

OFC is pleased to confirm live internet streaming, which will be available from midday today at http://ofctv.e-cast.co.nz

During pool play, the first and third matches each day will be broadcast live with the other match covered through live text updates via oceaniafootball.com

See below for the full schedule of live streaming.

For secure login go to http://ofctv.e-cast.co.nz

nzfooty wrote:
Cyclops wrote:I'm tempted to try to get to a couple of games to support Gabon seeing as I got such a good welcome there at the AFCON.

A Gabon - GB - South Korea - USA first round group is almost a certainty now....

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Oceania

Group A

16 March
Solomon Islands 0 – 2 Fiji
Vanuatu 8 – 0 American Samoa

18 March
American Samoa v Fiji
Solomon Islands v Vanuatu
Solomon Islands cannot afford a slip-up here.

20 March
American Samoa v Solomon Islands
Fiji v Vanuatu

Group B

16 March
New Zealand 1-0 Papua New Guinea

Painful viewing but New Zealand got the win that basically guarantees a top
spot in this small group.

18 March
Papua New Guinea v Tonga

20 March
Tonga v New Zealand

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Oceania

Vanuatu, Fiji and PNG are through to the semis. New Zealand will also go through (and will win their group) provided they don't lose
by two or more goals to Tonga.

Group A

16 March
Solomon Islands 0 – 2 Fiji
Vanuatu 8 – 0 American Samoa

18 March
American Samoa 1 - 7 Fiji
Solomon Islands 0 - 1 Vanuatu

Fiji's inability to give American Samoa a proper spanking means that they will now need to beat Vanuatu to avoid New Zealand in the semis.

20 March
American Samoa v Solomon Islands
Fiji v Vanuatu

Vanuatu 2 +9 6
Fiji 2 2 +8 6
Solomon Islands 2 −3 0
American Samoa 2 −14 0

Group B

16 March
New Zealand 1-0 Papua New Guinea

18 March
Papua New Guinea 3 - 0 Tonga

20 March
Tonga v New Zealand

New Zealand will advance to the semi-finals (and Tonga will be eliminated) unless Tonga defeat New Zealand by at least 2 goals.

Papua New Guinea 2 +2 3
New Zealand 1 +1 3
Tonga 1 −3 0

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:37 pm

The men's tournament looks quite open actually, with a few "minnows" making it through. Only two of the 2011 U20 World Cup quarter-finalists made it through, with a possible third, Mexico, yet to qualify. Korea could be aiming for a medal with a bit of luck. Brazil, Spain and GB are probably the teams to avoid in the draw.

All the top sides got themselves safely through in the women's comp, except for the Germans. New Zealand still need to navigate past Papua New Guinea.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:28 am

Oceania

Matches postponed from 20 March 2012 due to extreme weather conditions in Taupo.

Group A

American Samoa 1 – 16 Solomon Islands
Fiji 2 – 1 Vanuatu

Code: Select all

Fiji            3 3-0-0  11:2   +9  9
Vanuatu         3 2-0-1  10:2   +8  6
=====================================
Solomon Islands 3 1-0-2  16:4  +12  3
American Samoa  3 0-0-3   2:31 −29  0

Group B

Tonga 0 – 10 New Zealand

New Zealand     2 2-0-0  11:0  +11  6
Papua NG        2 1-0-1   3:1   +2  3
=====================================
Tonga           2 0-0-2   0:13 −13  0

Semi finals

23 March

Fiji v Papua New Guinea
New Zealand v Vanuatu

Final

25 March

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 am

Normal service is resumed for American Samoa, I see. Was a bit worried about them for a second there, with all those single figure scorelines. :-D

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:56 pm

sjc_three wrote:Normal service is resumed for American Samoa, I see. Was a bit worried about them for a second there, with all those single figure scorelines. :-D

Amusingly, Solomon Islands had their own England v San Marino moment. They were actually 1-0 down early on in the game... they then ended up trashing their opponents (in fact all 16 of their goals came in this match) but were still eliminated.

CONCACAF - Final Tournament

Top-2 will qualify for the 2012 Olympics.

Group A

@ Nashville

22 March
El Salvador v Canada
United States v Cuba

Group B

ï¼  Carson

23 March
Honduras v Panama
Trinidad and Tobago v Mexico

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:44 pm

nzfooty wrote:[Matches postponed from 20 March 2012 due to extreme weather conditions in Taupo.

If anywhere in New Zealand could have spectacularly bad weather then it's Taupo (and let's face it, it hasn't been a great past year for New Zealand). But it was just high winds, so I think they'll be OK.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Oceania

Semi-finals

Fiji 3 – 0 Papua New Guinea

25' PENALTY: Fiji earn a penalty after the Papua New Guinea goalkeeper takes out Misaele Draunibaka
25' GOAL!! Fiji 1 Papua New Guinea 0: Captain Esava Naqeleca makes no mistake with the spot kick taking his tournament tally to five

60' PENALTY: Jone Salauneune is clipped by Roland Bala and Fiji are awarded the penalty
60' GOAL!! Fiji 2 Papua New Guinea 0: Once again captain Esava Naqeleva steps up to take the penalty and although Ronald Warisan gets his hand to it, there is too much power on the shot

71' GOAL!! Fiji 3 Papua New Guinea 0: Zibraaz Sahib climbs high at the back post to head home Jone Salauneune's pinpoint cross

New Zealand 3 – 2 Vanuatu

6' GOAL!!! New Zealand 1 - 0 Vanuatu: The hosts go ahead when Louis Fenton gets on the end of a looping Alex Feneridis cross and vollleys home from inside the box,

9' GOAL!!! New Zealand 2 - 0 Vanuatu: The Oly Whites do go further in front this time when James Musa rises to nod in a well-flighted Feneridis corner.

28' GOAL!!! New Zealand 3 - 0 Vanuatu: The Oly Whites make it three when Feneridis heads on a Hicks free kick and Draper dinks it over Iaruel

75' Vanuatu 1 - 3 New Zealand: Vanuatu give themselves a sniff when Jean Kaltack latches onto a Willie-Ola Jimmy pass and slots the ball past Gleeson

90' Three minutes of injury time will be played

90' + 1' GOAL!!! Vanuatu 2 - 3 New Zealand: Vanuatu gives themselves a chance when Tangis prods home a Wilson free kick

Somewhat concerned about the way New Zealand allowed Vanuatu back into this game. I guess a good reminder not to take the foot off the ball and get complacent in the final against Fiji.

In any case, the NZ v PNG, and NZ v Vanuatu results show, the gap between NZ and the rest in Oceania is not as huge as some people think.

Final

25 March, 4 pm
Owen Delany Park, Taupo
Fiji v New Zealand

Winner will qualify for the 2012 Olympics.

CONCACAF - Final Tournament

Top-2 will qualify for the 2012 Olympics.

Group A

@ Nashville

22 March
El Salvador 0-0 Canada
United States 6-0 Cuba

Group B

ï¼  Carson

23 March

Honduras v Panama
Trinidad and Tobago v Mexico

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:32 pm

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:[Matches postponed from 20 March 2012 due to extreme weather conditions in Taupo.

If anywhere in New Zealand could have spectacularly bad weather then it's Taupo (and let's face it, it hasn't been a great past year for New Zealand). But it was just high winds, so I think they'll be OK.

I'm a little confused about the venue. Taupo population around 30,000 is hosting OFC qualifiers, with admission costing $10. No idea why this didn't go to a bigger place like Napier etc. have a tradition of supporting footy.

Qualifiers:

Europe:

Great Britain (hosts)
Spain
Switzerland
Belarus

South America:

Brazil
Uruguay

CONCACAF:

2 from Mexico/USA/Canda/El Salvador/ Honduras/ Panama/ Cuba/ Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania:

New Zealand or Fiji

Asia:

South Korea
Japan
United Arab Emirates

Africa:

Gabon
Morocco
Egypt

Plus winner of:
Senegal v Syria/Uzbekistan/Oman

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:49 pm

eujin wrote:

You've got that right eujin. The summer was the worst I can remember. We went about 3-4 days without rain a couple of times, but it was by and large raining regularly throughout.

I heard one of those involved saying on radio that the wind was so strong that if they tapped it from one touchline the wind would carry the ball all the way to the other touchline.
Sounds like it would have been conditions where you take a corner kick that comes back and hits you in the face.
Anyang Fo' Life

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:57 am

A bit of rain? Pfft. I was thinking of Lake Taupo being the crater of the largest volcano explosion on the planet in the last 50,000 years. It had a Volcano Exposivity Index of 8. That's off the scale on this little diagram from wikipedia. Off the scale!
That would probably be reasonable grounds for postponing a soccer tournament.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:21 am

After a volcanic explosion of that size the weather would've been equally bad all over New Zealand.But thanks for posting that. After all those earthquakes I was wondering when we were due for a volcanic eruption as well.

Highlights from USA 6-0 Cuba. I think it is fair to say that Cuba are not very good.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:18 pm

CONCACAF

Group B

Honduras 3 - 1 Panama
Trinidad and Tobago 1 - 7 Mexico

25 March
Panama v Trinidad and Tobago
Mexico v Honduras

Group A

24 March
Cuba v El Salvador
United States v Canada

United States    1 1-0-0 6:0  +6  3 
Canada          1 0-1-0 0:0   0  1
----------------------------------
El Salvador     1 0-1-0 0:0   0  1
Cuba            1 0-0-1 0:6  -6  0

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:59 pm

eujin wrote:A bit of rain? Pfft. I was thinking of Lake Taupo being the crater of the largest volcano explosion on the planet in the last 50,000 years. It had a Volcano Exposivity Index of 8. That's off the scale on this little diagram from wikipedia. Off the scale!
That would probably be reasonable grounds for postponing a soccer tournament.

One of the topics I teach at high school is about the Tongariro Volcanic Centre. The flow from Taupo went OVER Mt Ngaruahoe and wiped out the entire forest to the east of Mt Ruapehu and it's never grown back as the entire seed stock was wiped out. The sky (sunsets) changed colour around the world with the eruption being chronicled in ancient China and Rome.

We are off there for our annual fieldtrip in a couple of months. As an aside the Singapore military come down there each year for military exercises to launch missiles through the Rangipo Desert (formed thanks to the aforementioned Taupo eruption) as they have no room in Singapore to practice such things.

Highlight is my head to head match up at Turangi mini golf with my teacher mate.
Anyang Fo' Life

Return to “World football”