2012 Olympic Football Tournament

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2012 Olympic Football Tournament

Postby eujin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:23 pm

11,500 people at the playoff between Oman and Senegal in Coventry on a Monday night. I'd say that was quite a result even if a third of them were school kids on a freebie.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:32 pm

When do the tickets go on sale again then? I think its early May?

Nork women might be a possibility if the tickets are cheap but not paying 25 quid.

SK in St James I will probably do, not sure about Coventry or London...maybe if they make the QF.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 pm

SteveW wrote:When do the tickets go on sale again then? I think its early May?

Nork women might be a possibility if the tickets are cheap but not paying 25 quid.

SK in St James I will probably do, not sure about Coventry or London...maybe if they make the QF.

Probably the cheapest way of getting in is to enrol yourself in a primary school somewhere near the ground. They take mature students don't they?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Yep tickets are on sale early May. I thought the women's football would have been a lot cheaper but they've priced it exactly the same as the men's. £20-40 quid tickets for every single group stage match in the men's and women's, think I'll sack the North Korea idea then.

There's a PDF of ticket prices for the football here.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:50 pm

eujin wrote:

Probably the cheapest way of getting in is to enrol yourself in a primary school somewhere near the ground. They take mature students don't they?

Think that would probably see me end up on a 'register' somewhere. And I resent the implication that I am mature. ;)
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Holyjoe wrote:

Yep tickets are on sale early May. I thought the women's football would have been a lot cheaper but they've priced it exactly the same as the men's. £20-40 quid tickets for every single group stage match in the men's and women's, think I'll sack the North Korea idea then.

There's a PDF of ticket prices for the football here.

Looking at that it looks like the games are often double headers so its technically £10 per game if you watch both. Also 'special prices' available but presume thats for kids and OAPs.

ROK at St James is a double header on the 26th which sadly is midweek so would need a day off.....maybe 2; the other option is to do Coventry on the Sunday.

There's a DPRK quines double header the day before but also one on the Saturday which might be tempting...

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 pm

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:
eujin wrote: There's a lot to be said about NZ being in the OFC, especially to the Aussies, who won't be playing any football at the Olympics this year.

What? Come back to Oceania becasuse playing the likes of Vanuatu and Tonga once in a blue moon is so much fun and you will really develop your game playing against American Samoa?

We have danced this dance before.

Yes we have. Being there is everything.

We can agree to disagree about NZ presence in the OFC but surely being in Asia befits Australia.

In fact "being there" was one of the main drivers for the move. Tired of being constantly paired in the World Cup play-offs with the likes of Uruguay, Australia
saw an easier path through Asia. Australia is good enough to be at the World Cup (as they have demonstrated) but every four years that hinged on two matches
with the South Americans. In 1993 they even faced Argentina who were the runners-up at the previous World Cup.

Qualification for other events has become more complicated for Australia but not to a point where the trade-off for an easier route to the (real) World Cup is not worth it. The u20s have missed out on one (of the last 3) World Cups since joining the AFC and the u17s have missed out on two. That is not a good ratio for the u17s but once they were knocked out by Tajikistan. New Zealand has in the past also upset them in Oceania and at this age results can be quite unpredictable.

As for the 2012 Olympics, this is the first time they have failed to make it. They were there in 2008 (via Asia).

This time I think you will agree, the 2012 bunch simply do not deserve to be there. Scoring exactly zero (0) goals goals in their six group matches against the might of Uzbekistan (who were then knocked out by Oman who then lost to...), Iraq and UAE is a picture of a team that would not bring glory to Australia at the Olympics and arguably would struggle against New Zealand in the qualifiers. I wonder how many of the players involved in the Olympic qualifiers were part of the expedition that went out at the u17s to Tajikistan in 2007?

In any case, most Ozzies are too distracted counting the medals at that time.

In addition Oceania was no meal ticket with New Zealand twice knocking out Australia to win the Oceania championship and taking "their" place at the Confederations Cup.

So I do not see many tangible benefits to Australia's return to the OFC.

(One area where they are probably losing out at the moment is the women's game but then again NE Asia is one of the strongest regions in the world and in long run being exposed to that level of competition might do Australia a lot of good).

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:08 pm

nzfooty wrote:(One area where they are probably losing out at the moment is the women's game but then again NE Asia is one of the strongest regions in the world and in long run being exposed to that level of competition might do Australia a lot of good).

OK, making fun of Aussies shouldn't always be fact based, and I certainly wasn't suggesting they should return to the OFC. I'll agree the men's team are rubbish and don't deserve it (I hope that's not the improvement in their game they were looking for in swapping American Samoa out with UAE - failing to qualify for the first time in 28 years.) At the 2011 Womens World Cup I thought Australia looked a better side than New Zealand, but that's twice now the Matildas have missed out on the Olympics because of North Korea and twice that the Football Ferns have gone with ease.

Is it one of Pim's mates that's in charge of the Olyroos? Because that would explain a lot.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:26 pm

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:(One area where they are probably losing out at the moment is the women's game but then again NE Asia is one of the strongest regions in the world and in long run being exposed to that level of competition might do Australia a lot of good).

OK, making fun of Aussies shouldn't always be fact based, and I certainly wasn't suggesting they should return to the OFC. I'll agree the men's team are rubbish and don't deserve it (I hope that's not the improvement in their game they were looking for in swapping American Samoa out with UAE - failing to qualify for the first time in 28 years.) At the 2011 Womens World Cup I thought Australia looked a better side than New Zealand, but that's twice now the Matildas have missed out on the Olympics because of North Korea and twice that the Football Ferns have gone with ease.

Is it one of Pim's mates that's in charge of the Olyroos? Because that would explain a lot.

My bad if one of your jokes / sarcastic comments flew over my head. The usage of :albino: has gone out of fashion, I see, which is problem for people like me who occasionally come here "UI".

Time will show what sort of impact the move to the AFC had on Australia. As I indicated I think this 2012 Olympic bunch have their roots in Australia's pre-AFC entry to Asia and hence their failure at the first U-17 tournament against Tajikistan. I would also like to think that games against UAE (who have qualified for the senior World Cup in the past) are more beneficial then against American Samoa. But who knows -- perhaps all the money that goes on the travel would be better spent in the youth academies? We'll just have to wait and see.

Aurelio Vidmar is the coach of the Olyroos. Not sure how much interaction he had with Pim but they do appear to be students of the same school of thought.

In Oceania it will be interesting to see how PNG develop. A nation with quite a lot potential -- bigger population that NZ. They have already sent a team to the fIFA World Club Championship.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:14 pm

nzfooty wrote:My bad if one of your jokes / sarcastic comments flew over my head. The usage of :albino: has gone out of fashion, I see, which is problem for people like me who occasionally come here "UI".

I'm not very good at using the rabbit. I should probably use it more. But I do think there are very real advantages of being in the OFC as we've discussed before. I thought Denmark had a reasonable chance of qualifying for the first time in eons but they blew it by losing to Iceland. And I also think it's funny in a schadenfreude sort of way that Australia haven't got a team in and New Zealand have two. So it's not quite a statement like "Barcelona are rubbish :albino: , Seongnam have got a lot of fans :albino: " Those would require a rabbit.

Ghost
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Ghost » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:38 am

eujin wrote:GB could easily end up facing South Korea in Cardiff in the quarter-finals, although I'd be tempted to say South Korea should be aiming to win their group with a bit of luck. Switzerland have some decent flair players but I think the Koreans can cause a surprise here, particularly if Hong Myeong-bo brings the likes of Koo Ja-cheol, Ji Dong-won and Son Heung-min into the side. The two Bundesliga boys have been doing really well recently and will be full of confidence. I hope our Swiss correspondent Ghost will chip in with his thoughts.

The Swiss media are confident that Switzerland will be able to get past the group stage and go into the quarterfinals, but notheless acknowleding that it is a hard group. I think it depends very much on who is going to be nominated. The squad will be quite promising if they get everyone who is eligible. But especially the most talented one, namely Ricardo Rodriguez (VFL Wolfsburg) - Xherdan Shaqiri (moves to Bayern Munich this summer) - Granit Xhaka (probably going to Bayern Mönchengladbach), are not certain if the will particiapte due to club restrictions. The coach has alread said that no one is called up for the squad if his club doesn't agree, not matter what the FIFA has decided... :( Still, with or without them they should do fairly well.
The Korean could indeed aim for the top of their group. They have a lot of potential and could really be a surprise for quite many people. Korea's midfield and strikers seem quite impressive (plus overage players: perhaps Park Ji-Sung or Park Chu-Young?) and are capable of quite some goals but their defence and goalkeeper are unkown to me. Does Korea seem stable behind?

However, my guess (and hope) is that Korea and Switzerland come in first and second. :smt109
Supporting:
Gyeongnam FC
Korean National Team
Swiss National Team

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:28 pm

eujin wrote:I'm not very good at using the rabbit.

Try talking with the staff at Ann Summers. They're usually very helpful with that kind of thing.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed May 02, 2012 2:05 am

Ghost wrote:The Korean could indeed aim for the top of their group. They have a lot of potential and could really be a surprise for quite many people. Korea's midfield and strikers seem quite impressive (plus overage players: perhaps Park Ji-Sung or Park Chu-Young?) and are capable of quite some goals but their defence and goalkeeper are unkown to me. Does Korea seem stable behind?

Thanks for the info. With Ryan Giggs at 38 and Paul Scholes at 37, Park Ji-sung was very much the spring chicken in a Man Utd midfield that looked over the hill against Man City last night, so he really ought to be looking at coming out of international retirement and playing a role for the national team somewhere.

The two Bundesliga lads and the one at Sunderland I mentioned are all age eligible, but weren't a big part of the qualification matches. So they could get in the squad alongside 3 oldies, but then there wouldn't be much room left for the guys who actually got the job done for Hong Myeong-bo. The squads aren't as big as World Cup ones. The defence held up pretty well in qualifying, with only one goal conceded from open play in the group stage and they were pretty tight in the King's Cup too. Jeju's Hong Jeong-ho is the key man in the back line. He has already played a few times for the full national team. They've got Kim Seung-gyu as the reserve keeper, who has caught my eye a few times, and is a very good penalty stopper - cocky little shit as well. The guy who usually keeps him on the bench, Ee Beom-yeong is huge, almost two metres tall, but he's not Busan's regular goalkeeper in the K-League.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 am

Ticket sales going swimmingly then.

London 2012: 500,000 football tickets being withdrawn

32 total matches in the mens, 26 in the womens, and a bunch of those are double headers. That means they've taken almost 10,000 per match off the market. Cardiff gets to see both the mens and the womens GB teams, while Glasgow gets to see Morocco vs Honduras at Thursday lunchtime. Wonder how many will turn up for that - can they get more than Queen's Park?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:55 am

eujin wrote:Ticket sales going swimmingly then.

London 2012: 500,000 football tickets being withdrawn

32 total matches in the mens, 26 in the womens, and a bunch of those are double headers. That means they've taken almost 10,000 per match off the market. Cardiff gets to see both the mens and the womens GB teams, while Glasgow gets to see Morocco vs Honduras at Thursday lunchtime. Wonder how many will turn up for that - can they get more than Queen's Park?

Last I heard they were giving away thousands of tickets to local kids and were struggling even to do that (since its school holidays)

Im the only person I know who has bought an Olympic football ticket - and even I am not going to Hampden.

Return to “World football”