Re: South Korea's 2022 World Cup bid

Postby sjc_three » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:44 am

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:
QATAR WILL HOST THE 2022 WORLD CUP

No
F***in way
I quit international football.

For the rest of my life it is my mission to bring down FIFA.
(not that anyone will will care but my attempts to bring down FIFA will start with avoiding to mention any FIFA tournaments on this site)

Actually I will care. And not mentioning FIFA might not be the best way to bring them down. Perhaps instead of papering over the cracks one should highlight them with big bright emergency orange circles, like the guys at Panorama. Just think, the British press are really going to let them have it now.

I'm so glad I didn't stay up for it. I doubt I would have been able to get any sleep afterwards, I'm so angry. 2018, I can just about stomach. I don't doubt there was a huge amount of greasing of palms going on - and there was a line right at the end of the Russian presentation when the guy says something like, "I understand that this is a big burden for all of you to choose the hosts for this World Cup..." and then he pauses for a second and I swear there was some unspoken message like, "so let us sweeten the deal a little to lighten that burden!" - but, I can just about accept Russia getting it. The free travel on match days was a nice touch. Certain other bits of their presentation made me laugh - "they will be affordable accommodation for all fans" - what like during the Champions League Final when fans were sleeping in the cabins of ships for a couple of hundred dollars a night? And the fan park in Red Square, presumably complete with gangs of skinheads roaming around kicking in tourists and robbing them. Nice.

But Qatar? You have to be kidding me. I was willing to write off 2018 for a good 2022. My son will be 19 then. That was his World Cup. Hardly the one I was dreaming of. Qatar will be a corporate nightmare. They’ll have fans parks where you can have a drink – of Budweiser for $15 a pop (in today’s currency), astronomical hotel prices and lord knows what the ticket will cost by then. But mostly, I just wanted him to have somewhere where he could travel about backpacking, see a bit of the country and experience a bit of life, like I did. Qatar. I want to cry. But I’m too livid about it to. FUCKING, FUCKING, FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING FIFA CUNTS.

And as a last comment. England 2 votes. And the votes are solely made on the quality of the bids? Mmmmmm. My one consolation of the evening is the disappointment and embarrassment it must have caused the royal brat and the Tory twat. Talk about a slap in the face. Noses must be seriously out of joint this morning.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:52 am

I too was looking forward to 2022....I decided I was going to travel to any of the countries as all would have been great to go to. With the exception of the Qatar.

I am incredulous this morning....I am extremely angry with FIFA. I doubt I could have slept last night either...as sjc said above, Russia I can understand in some ways but QATAR!!!!! There are more people in bloody Changwon (well almost) than Qatar....

I am not one for swearing but fuck you FIFA you greedy pricks.

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:01 am

I didn't think Australia was that weak a bid. :shock:

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:02 am

First round England exit surprises Andy Anson

He does put a very good point about, how can a bid that so many people have agreed it so strong, go out in the first round?

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 pm

It wasn't even as if it was a narrow win for Qatar, they were by far the popular choice amongst the Executive Committee. I wonder if this is one big practical joke they've played on us - seemingly the youngest member who voted yesterday will be 64 by the time the Qatar tournament comes around, and most of the rest of them will be pushing up daisies by then. Have they voted for Qatar just to piss us all off knowing they probably won't be around to see it?

2022 VOTING
1st round: Australia 1 (eliminated); Japan 3; United States 3; South Korea 4; Qatar 11
2nd round: Japan 2 (eliminated); South Korea 5; United States 5; Qatar 10
3rd round: South Korea 5 (eliminated); United States 6; Qatar 11
4th round: United States 8; Qatar 14

As amused as I am by the whole media outcry over England's two votes, I too am perplexed that what appeared to be the strongest bid could only attract the support of one impartial executive committee member.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Holyjoe wrote:It wasn't even as if it was a narrow win for Qatar, they were by far the popular choice amongst the Executive Committee. I wonder if this is one big practical joke they've played on us - seemingly the youngest member who voted yesterday will be 64 by the time the Qatar tournament comes around, and most of the rest of them will be pushing up daisies by then. Have they voted for Qatar just to piss us all off knowing they probably won't be around to see it?

2022 VOTING
1st round: Australia 1 (eliminated); Japan 3; United States 3; South Korea 4; Qatar 11
2nd round: Japan 2 (eliminated); South Korea 5; United States 5; Qatar 10
3rd round: South Korea 5 (eliminated); United States 6; Qatar 11
4th round: United States 8; Qatar 14

As amused as I am by the whole media outcry over England's two votes, I too am perplexed that what appeared to be the strongest bid could only attract the support of one impartial executive committee member.

I know it would be considered blasphemy in certain parts but is it even just slightly maybe a tiny fraction conceivable that maybe the English bid wasn't the strongest bid as we'd be led to believe?

I didn't pay much attention to be honest but all I heard of the bid was 'home of football', 'passion for the game' and 'we'll have games in Milton Keynes'. Is it possible they just totally misjudged the thing and all the things they thought were their strengths (like having quite a few stadia in place) were actually pretty irrelevant?

I don't have much problem with Russia winning the thing. I'm sure they'll do a good job with it and it'll be an interesting one for fans.

2022 was a strange one to be honest. Didn't think the US deserved it so soon after the last one. Ditto with Korea. Australia was an interesting option but having the tourney in the Middle East is probably a good way to develop the game in the region. None of the options seem all that strong to be honest.

Not that us Scots need to be too worried about any of it.

ETA: Amused that Qatar managed to lose a vote from Round 1 to Round 2 and then got it back again...... someone couldn't make their mind up?
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:01 pm

I reckon England would've had a better bid if they hadn't already hosted. If the World Cup had never been in England then they would've been clear favourites. As it is, two new countries get to host, which is probably what helped persuade FIFA to take the cash.

Qatar's perhaps not so bad for a proper travelling holiday either. I've always fancied taking the ferry from Iran to Sharjah and I've got mates in Oman so have thought about the drive over the hills from Dubai. And basically everywhere the land meets the sea there's a sandy beach. Doha is probably a 7 hour drive from Dubai (even less from Abu Dhabi). Don't know how far it is from Riyadh in Saudi but probably something similar. A lot of people were doing similar trips for single games from England (err London) to France 98 or Germany 06. Bahrain would be even closer if they ever get a bridge built, which presumably they will now. People do go camping and the Indian migrant workers know a bit about cheap digs and eats so it won't be all 7-star hotels and indoor skiing resorts. The Olympics get held in single cities and they manage to find room for everyone and I'm sure the booze problem will get sorted out somehow.

The heat will still be a factor though. I'm not sure how reliable all this fancy cooling stuff is going to be and they'll probably only get the temperature down to the mid 30's even if it works. Most of the games will probably kick-off quite late for the Western Europe TV audience but once you're out of the stadium you'll be on your own.

Oh, and the head of the German FA said although he was surprised at them awarding it to Qatar, a peaceful football festival might improve political stability in that part of the World. Now where have I heard that before?

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 pm

Apparently it's quite hard to find a drink in Qatar and kissing in public and being gay are illegal so there might not be that many people going anyway, players included.

If you're gay and caught kissing another fellow is it a (deemed) double neagtive meaning you could get away with it? What about if you're gay and having a drink, or having a drink and kissing at the same time?

For the flags, maybe this is finally the time for me to post in my application for Dragons Den. You can copyright someone else's flag right? That's what Peter Jones and Theo Paphitis always find the problems with.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:35 am

England has had it before and Aussie would host a good WC but it's not going to do anything for the game there. 12 months later they'll be watching AFL, cricket, and rugby league with a bit of round ball going on in the background. As for growing the sport in the region, well that region is an ocean. Aussie hosted the rugby world cup in 2003 and 7 years later their national side is weaker than then and their domestic crowds are down on then.

And football doesn't have to be about alcohol. What percent of the world don't drink? I went to 4 games in Korea in 02 and didn't touch a drop at any of the games and I fancy my drink.

I don't doubt for a second though that both countries didn't buy votes. The whole selection process is fucked. Every person that votes should have to show who they voted for and write a short document about WHY they voted for that bid.

Also why don't they simplify it somewhat and say this WC will be in Europe, the next in Asia, the next in the America's, the next in Africa, then Europe, Asia etc etc. At the end of the day though, there's over 200 countries in the world and probably about 50 who could host a WC if push came to shove so there's a much stronger likelihood that people will never see it in their backyard in their lifetime.
Anyang Fo' Life

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:33 am

I think it's a fair point about England having hosted before, but it would sit better with me if Germany hadn't recently been given it under similar circumstances. That said, I was against USA, Korea and Japan's bids because they've all hosted recently (and to a lesser extent Spain), so it's just a case of where you draw the line. I thnk though that if FIFA believe it should only go to "new" hosts then it would save a lot of hassle if they just fucking said so!

Agree with Steve W's point about Milton Keynes. Just before BBC World cut to the vote announcement (I mean Sepp Blatter rambling incoherently for 20 minutes until he remembered it wasn't him we wanted to see) they moved around their 'roving reporters' in host cities like Manchester and London where enthusiastic primary school kids were using their snow day to paint their faces and jump up and down for the cameras, which was just about palatable. Then they went to "stadium:MK" where there were about 30 local counciller rent-a-fans drinking tea and looking like the parasitic cunts that they unquestionably are, and this bulbous twit no doubt seconded from some regional news outlet was harping on about how great it will be for the low-life filth here if England's bid wins. It had all the passion of a Daejeon Nuclear Weapons FC v Hongcheon IDU FC pre-season friendly behind closed doors.

It was at that point that I realised how big Russia looks on the map and how it's about time a country that borders both (North) Korea and Norway should get a crack at hosting.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:58 am

Cyclops wrote:I think it's a fair point about England having hosted before, but it would sit better with me if Germany hadn't recently been given it under similar circumstances. That said, I was against USA, Korea and Japan's bids because they've all hosted recently (and to a lesser extent Spain), so it's just a case of where you draw the line. I thnk though that if FIFA believe it should only go to "new" hosts then it would save a lot of hassle if they just fucking said so!

I totally agree.

FIFA could streamline the whole thing which would go a long way towards ending the corruption 'opportunities' by rotating it through the continents and saying that a country that has hosted the WC in the previous say 60 years (meaning that somebody could conceivably see it in their country in their lifetime whilst of an age to go to matches) is automatically ruled out.

I just read that England spent 18 million quid on the two year process which is money that could have been better spent elsewhere I'm sure. And they had been playing friendlies in a bid to jack up votes that ended up cloak and daggeresque.

As they roll through more and more countries would be ruled out through having hosted in the previous 60 years (or pick a number) so you'd only get 3 or 4 realistic bids from the same region and they could (should) weight their decisions much more around the criteria they used for 'marking' them.
Anyang Fo' Life

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:32 am

That sounds far too sensible. Taxi for njs!

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:56 pm

njs wrote:
Cyclops wrote:FIFA could streamline the whole thing which would go a long way towards ending the corruption 'opportunities' by rotating it through the continents and saying that a country that has hosted the WC in the previous say 60 years (meaning that somebody could conceivably see it in their country in their lifetime whilst of an age to go to matches) is automatically ruled out.

That's what they did for the last 4 World Cups. The only problem is that the number of countries that could realistically host a World Cup are not evenly spread throughout the continents. In North America, you have only USA, Mexcio and maybe Canada...in Europe there are probably more than countries that could realistically hold the World Cup...

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:14 am

Also saw that the Korean guy is one of the ones who is alleged to have promised hos vote and then gone a different way. Unfortunately, a trait I've seen many times in business.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 am

Good interview on 606 this morning with Andy Anson..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/606

Return to “World football”