South Korea's 2022 World Cup bid

Everything else football-wise.
sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: South Korea's 2022 World Cup bid

Postby sjc_three » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:22 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:I agree, as a Scotland fan I think it should be at least 32, if not more. :albino:

Not sure even 32 would cover it, RS! ;-)

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:47 am

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 am

Fifa retains World Cup vote date

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says the vote to decide who will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments will still take place on 2 December.

Fifa has made the decision despite two of its executive members being suspended for allegedly selling votes.

"We are five weeks from the final decision so there was never a question of changing anything," said Blatter.

"So on 2 December the Fifa executive committee will decide in a secret ballot the hosts for 2018 and 2022."

Although Fifa has decided to press ahead with the voting schedule Blatter did admit it may have been a mistake to run the bidding process for the two competitions at the same time.

The two Fifa executive members who have been suspended are Nigerian Amos Adamu and Tahiti's Reynald Temarii, and the pair are under investigation by the organisation's ethics panel.

Blatter confirmed that a ruling on their future is expected on 17 November and, if the two are not reinstated, then only 22 Fifa executive members will cast a vote instead of the full 24.

"This is an uncomfortable situation for Fifa but we must say that inside Fifa we have the necessary instruments to react properly," said Blatter at Fifa headquarters in Zurich.

"The ethics committee are addressing a case that involves allegations of possible corruption. We will deal with them according to current regulations.

"If and when people are suspended for the vote on 2 December they will not be replaced."

In a campaign process dogged by controversy, the Fifa ethics committee is also looking into claims of collusion between the joint Spain and Portugal bid and that of Qatar, although both teams have denied all allegations.

Spain and Portugal are vying with England, Russia and a joint bid from the Netherlands and Belgium to stage the 2018 World Cup.

In the race to host the 2022 competition, Australia, Qatar, Japan/South Korea and the United States are in the running.

Meanwhile, as the bidding process intensifies Russia sports minister Vitaly Mutko has issued an apology to England's campaign team.

England 2018 had lodged a complaint with Fifa following comments from Russia bid chief Alexei Sorokin denigrating London.

Drawing a line under the incident, Football League president Lord Mawhinney said: "I gather in Zurich everybody has had a figurative hug and we move on to the decision on 2 December.

"I look forward to helping to make the final presentation of England's case. I think we are very competitive."

In terms of choosing the World Cup hosts, the 2018 vote will take place before the 2022 vote. Ahead of the voting, each campaign will get a 30-minute slot to deliver a final presentation - this will happen on 1 December for the 2022 candidates and 2 December for the 2018 hopefuls.

A bid must earn a majority to claim victory, and if two bids are tied then Blatter will have the deciding vote.

After the drawing of lots, Belgium/Netherlands will be the first presentation on 2 December, followed by Spain/Portugal, England and Russia.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:15 am

I had a look at Korea's bid on wikiand this caught my eye.

Jeju:
Capacity: 35,657
(plans to expand to 43,657)

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 am

Senior Fifa figure says newspaper's World Cup sting was 'unethical'

• Mohamed Bin Hammam criticises The Sunday Times
• AFC president: 'Collusion will always have a chance to happen'

Mohamed Bin Hammam, one of the most senior figures in world football, has heightened fears that Fifa plans to close ranks around the newspaper investigation that threw the race to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups into chaos, criticising the sting as "unethical".

His comments will increase concerns that a backlash against the Sunday Times revelations and a forthcoming BBC Panorama programme could harm England's chances of hosting the 2018 World Cup, despite the newspaper sting catching two executive committee members allegedly offering to sell their votes.

Amos Adamu of Nigeria, Oceania's representative, Reynald Temarii, and four Fifa officials have been suspended and the ethics committee is investigating claims of collusion between two bidders, believed to be Spain/Portugal and Qatar. But despite the serious questions hanging over the process, which Fifa's president, Sepp Blatter, last week decreed would proceed as planned, Bin Hammam called into question the newspaper's methods. "Forging identity, fabricating evidence and setting traps are unethical behaviours in my point of view. One thing about Middle East media, these are rare happenings there," said the Asian Football Confederation president, on his personal website. "Is it ethical to use unethical measures to protect the ethic? How can we serve justice and look for fairness by not acting justly and fairly? How will we clean dirty laundry by using dirty water?"

Blatter last week also made a thinly veiled criticism of the newspaper's methods, despite the allegations of corruption they uncovered. "One can ask whether it is appropriate for newspapers and journalists to set traps for people," he said. "I come back to what we have discussed today – if you were in that situation, how would you act?"

Fifa rules forbid collusion between bidders for 2018 and 2022. But Bin Hammam, who has no formal role on the Qatar bid team but is openly making its case, said last month at the Leaders in Football conference that it "must not be surprising" that bidders were saying to him: "OK, if you vote for me I will vote for you".

In his blog post, he drew a distinction between agreements between rival bidders and "corrupted collusion".

"[Fifa's] president [Sepp] Blatter said in the meeting, 'Out of the nine bidding nations, eight of them have representatives in the Fifa executive committee and all of them are friends. How can I ask them not to talk or discuss issues about the World Cup bid?'"

Bin Hammam added: "The World Cup is the largest business of Fifa. Collusion will always have a chance to happen as far as two bids will be decided together, but we all pray that no corrupted collusion will find its way to the bids."

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:42 pm

FIFA = muppets.

And why should a British newspaper's outing of FIFA's alleged corruption potentially hurt England's bid? Is The Sunday Times an English FA entity?!? :smt093

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:FIFA = muppets.

And why should a British newspaper's outing of FIFA's alleged corruption potentially hurt England's bid? Is The Sunday Times an English FA entity?!? :smt093

Yeah, it seems to be getting worse.

Fifa row has "harmed" England 2018 World Cup bid

England's 2018 World Cup bid has been "significantly harmed" by a newspaper investigation into the bidding process, says a key member of the campaign team.

A member of the Fifa executive committee previously claimed there would be no backlash against England.

But it now seems the Sunday Times probe into two members of the committee has left England with a mountain to climb ahead of the vote on 2 December.

"It has significantly harmed England's bid," a senior member told BBC Sport.

With four weeks to go to the decision, England's bid team has not given up all hope of turning the situation around.

But senior sources say that the prospect of any future media investigations into the conduct of Fifa officials - including a potential Panorama programme on the BBC - could be fatal for their chances.

One member of the bid team told the BBC: "The question is: can we recover from this? Fifa members feel they are being persecuted by the British media.

"It isn't dead and the next two or three weeks will be delicate but England's bid has been damaged and it's going to take a lot of hard work to repair that damage."

One move being considered by England's bid is to ask all the editors of the national newspapers and broadcasters to write to Fifa declaring their support for the 2018 bid.

Whether that would address the damage done in recent weeks is unlikely but it was a tactic used by the team leading London's bid for the 2012 Olympics when organisers feared that a Panorama investigation could derail the campaign.

The difference then was London 2012 had more than a year to reassure IOC members that awarding the Games to London would not mark the start of a seven-year campaign against the people who run the Olympics.

Fifa's ethics committee is due to meet from 15-17 November to discuss whether to take further action against the two executive committee members - Amos Adamu from Nigeria and Reynald Temarii from Tahiti - who were accused in the Sunday Times expose.

Reporters from the newspaper posed as lobbyists for a consortium of private American companies who wanted to secure the World Cup for the United States. Adamu has been accused of asking to be paid £500,000 - half of that up front - to build four artificial football pitches in his home country.

Temarii, a Fifa vice-president who represents the Oceania confederation, was alleged to have requested £1.5m for a sports academy to be built in the region.

Both deny any wrongdoing and will fight the allegations when they appear before Fifa's ethics committee later this month.

The committee will also consider claims made by the former Fifa general secretary Michel Zen Ruffinen that Spain and Portugal's bid team for 2018 has formed a voting alliance with Qatar for 2022 - a move which is against Fifa's bidding rules.

Bid leaders from Spain/Portugal and Qatar are refusing to comment officially on the allegations although the head of the Portuguese FA, Gilberto Modail has categorically denied the claims which Zen Ruffinen now says were an exaggeration to impress the reporters posing as American lobbyists.

The Fifa president Sepp Blatter signalled the start of a backlash against the British media last Friday when he said: "One can ask whether such an action is appropriate, trying to set traps for people. It is a deeply rooted problem [with the English media].

"Who is benefitting from this situation and who is being harmed, we are asking ourselves why did it happen and why did it happen specifically by English journalists? We are looking at that."

And the head of the Asian Football Confederation, Mohamed Bin Hammam, has used his blog to attack the British media. He wrote: "Is it ethical to use unethical methods to protect the ethic? How will we clean dirty laundry by using dirty water?"

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:26 am

I still don't see how the actions of a British media outlet has anything to do with England's World Cup bid.

I'm also quite curious as to why a "senior member" of the FA would make these comments to the BBC. What does the bid have to gain by playing the "black eye" card in public? Or is the person in question just a muppet without a brain?

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:39 am

I am not surprised that the Qatari guy made those comments. He is probably one of the most corrupt of them all and trying to cover his tracks in case he gets caught in a shitstorm.....

FIFA really are a bunch of wankers.....

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:15 pm

just because wrote:I am not surprised that the Qatari guy made those comments. He is probably one of the most corrupt of them all and trying to cover his tracks in case he gets caught in a shitstorm.....

FIFA really are a bunch of wankers.....

That's putting it mildly...

Protect the ethic

Fifa's big conclusion from the past three weeks: undercover press stings are "unethical". Executive Mohamed Bin Hammam says football needs transparency. "Is it ethical to use unethical measures to protect the ethic?"

2009: Bin Hammam dismisses calls for an open inquiry into alleged "gross corruption" during Fifa's executive elections, which he won. "It's time to move on. Start a new page. The past is the past - it's better that way!"

(Fifa's official view on how journalists should behave – as set out in the conditions for media accreditation at the 2010 World Cup: reporters agree not to bring the game "into disrepute" with anything that "negatively affects Fifa's public standing". Fifa denied being over-sensitive. "Freedom of press is guaranteed. That's very important to us.")

Meanwhile

Ready to be part of the new-look generation at Fifa: Danny Jordaan – head of South Africa's World Cup committee. Jordaan says he'll stand against suspended Amos Adamu in next year's executive elections. "Africa feels I can make a contribution." Jordaan's best Fifa moment so far:
June – denies influencing Fifa's ticket agency (co-owned by Sepp's nephew's company) to award a £260k contract to his brother Andrew. Danny told the press: "Why ask me about a conflict of interest? What conflict? I have nothing to do with it." (Sepp's message to June's Fifa congress: "We are one happy football family!")

Gift news

Also new from the family: Liberian FA president Musa Bility, rejecting claims he won a landslide election victory by paying $500 "gifts" to club presidents. Bility says calls for an investigation are "daft": "I did not bribe anyone. People simply saw the need for change – and voted for me."

And from Amos

Text message of the week: sent by Amos Adamu to his phone contacts. "Hello, this is Amos. My email account has been hacked into ... Anyone asking for money on my behalf is lying. Please do not send money to anyone. Thank you."

More here.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:48 pm

sjc_three wrote:Fifa officials 'offer to sell 2018 World Cup bid votes'

Mixed feelings about this. I do absolutely applaud anyone that can expose corruption in any walk of life (although am under no illusions that this was about a news scoop, not any moral crusade). However, I can't help worry about the damage it might do to our bid, the fact that it is our media again that is doing the exposing.

Looking like that's the case afterall. Well, I'm sure the papers will revel in their moral high ground when England's bid gets blown out of the water. Wankers.

Just hope it's Spain/Portugal now. Russia might've been a giggle in my 20s, but it'll be an expensive logistical nightmare in my 40s. Spain was my original preference before I got swept away with the whole England 2018 campaign and the idea of a summer driving around my own country watching footie. Have a horrid feeling it'll go the way of the Russians though.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Blatter is a fan...

Blatter Praises Korea 2022 Bid, Claims Football Can Help Unite Korean Peninsula
November 9, 2010

FIFA president Sepp Blatter says South Korea can realise the "ideal" of peace through sport and has praised the country's World Cup bid committee just three weeks out from the FIFA vote on the 2018 and 2022 hosts.

"Korea is the country that can realize the ideal of peace through sports,” said Blatter in Seoul on Monday.

“Football is more than a game. If the World Cup is held in Korea, it will serve as a valuable medium of connecting people to people.

“I am convinced that Korea is very well prepared for bidding for World Cup 2022."

<More>

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:57 am

^ LOL, because we all know that the 2002 World Cup went a long way to bringing peace to the Korean peninsula... :roll:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Still at the 'idea stage', but the Korean bidding committee seem keen on the thought of hosting several group stage games in North Korea if they were awarded the 2022 tournament.

Thought this quote was rather telling, from a BBC article on FIFA's Executive Summary of the bids for 2018 and 2022:

Fifa has also made a similar report covering the five potential hosts of the 2022 tournament - the United States, Qatar, Australia, Japan and South Korea.

The bids from Australia, Japan and South Korea are criticised for a potential drop in US and European revenue, concerns are raised over the heat in Qatar in June and July and a lack of government guarantees is cited as a potential problem with the US bid.

All five bids are praised for their stadia, Japan and South Korea for their use of technology, the US and Australia for transport and security provision while Qatar is lauded for its "novel approach".

It's all about the moolah :roll:

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:54 am

Are World Cups still making more moolah from Europe than Asia? Does FIFA make any moolah in the US? Surely the Qataris could see FIFA's potential losses in the US and double it or whatever it.

Come to think of it, do Manchester United still make more moolah in Europe than they do in Asia? Could one not also say a World Cup in a European time-zone would hurt the lucrative Asian market as much as vice-versa?

Return to “World football”