Euro 2008

Everything else football-wise.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: Euro 2008

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:47 am

Anyone surprised about Russia progressing? I might be mistaken but I think this was a case of the oldest squad (Sweden - yes older than France - I know it is hard to believe) v the youngest.

Guus Hiddink's newest tactic seems to be to play crap in one match with the aim of luring future opponents into a false sense of security.

Anyway, both Croatia and Russia through so perhaps this man's is allowing himself to smile a little like he used to.

First round over. It has been quite good. Tables from round one can be found here.

Gas1883
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Gas1883 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Yes surprised Russia made it considering their opening result. Though I think before the tournament they have a good shout of going through in second place.

Hiddink is a clever one! I think playing Andrei Arshavin was amaster stroke, I know nothing about him other than that he was suspened for the first two games, but he seemed make a big difference against Sweden and probably an unknown quantity to many teams.

Holland V Russia is look tasty, though I still think the Dutch should go through, could be very close though!

Great tournament so far.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:55 pm

Gas1883 wrote:Holland V Russia is look tasty, though I still think the Dutch should go through, could be very close though!

Great tournament so far.

Some people have suggested that two counter-attacking teams such as Russia and Netherlands are likely to produce a bore draw. Not convinced by that argument.

Yes, it has been a wonderful tournament so far, though we should remember that group stages often produce the most watchable football. Hopefully, team will continue with the attacking approach into the knock-out stages.

Any suggestions from you guys why this tournament has been so much better?

The 2006 World Cup (dominated by Europeans) and and Euro 2004 (dominated by Greece) were quite dull tournaments.

I guess 2002 World Cup could be added to a list although of course I will cherish that tournament and lack of quality was compensated for by some big surprises.

Euro 2000 though was a fairly decent tournament though.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:19 pm

nzfooty wrote:Any suggestions from you guys why this tournament has been so much better?

No England?

:wink:

Gas1883

Postby Gas1883 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:39 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
nzfooty wrote:Any suggestions from you guys why this tournament has been so much better?

No England?

:wink:

Oh come on! Surely you miss all the over the top hype surrounding England and our inevitable quarter-final collapses? It gives all the Scots, Irish and Welsh a reason to watch then! :D

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:11 am

Gas1883 wrote:Oh come on! Surely you miss all the over the top hype surrounding England and our inevitable quarter-final collapses? It gives all the Scots, Irish and Welsh a reason to watch then! :D

International tournaments are hell until the English go out, so not having them in at all is a boost because I can enjoy the whole thing ;) Even the promise of a hilarious elimination at some point before the final isn't enough, as there's always that chance it just might not happen...

I am slightly disappointed that the gloss has been taken off Scotland's two wins over France in qualifying somewhat by their dreadful showing at the finals - it seems les frogs are back to their pre-1998 selves, and now we have the resurgent Dutch to deal with for 2010. I think our best bet for tournament qualification in the forseeable future will be the Ukraine continuing to make a pig's ear of preparing to co-host 2012, because then if reports are to be believed we could host it.

Is that the beer talking?

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:33 pm

Holyjoe wrote: I think our best bet for tournament qualification in the forseeable future will be the Ukraine continuing to make a pig's ear of preparing to co-host 2012, because then if reports are to be believed we could host it.

Poland is one of the co-hosts. While I don't think the tournament
should have been awarded to those two countries some of the
reports you see do not appear to be very accurate. I think that
it was a BBC item that stated that the stadium below is going to
be used as one of the venues.

Actually, that stadium last hosted a match in 1983. A completely
new stadium is being constructed in Warsaw.

However, I'm sure there is always a plan B and Scotland might
be it this time.

Scotland, despite the limb displays France gave at EURO 2008, did
well in the qualifiers. It's just places like Georgia etc. that seem
to be a banana skin.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:16 pm

Well, that's Portugal out, 3-2 losers to Germany. I wonder what impact Ronaldo-gate had on the team.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Is this the "ten-year" stadium or something? The one that was rebuilt using the ruins of WWII Warsaw? Actually it only looks in slightly worse nick than the Communale in Torino did when I was there in 1995.

And how about Charlton's current ground, The Valley?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/ima ... lery.shtml

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:28 pm

nzfooty wrote:Anyone surprised about Russia progressing?

I wasn't surprised about Greece going out and I thought Sweden were a bit lucky to qualify for the tournament, given a little helping hand by the Danes. Having the oldest squad in the tournament is usually a bad sign.

Russia looked a lot better against Sweden than they did against Spain. The defence was a lot more compact and they looked quite pacy on the counterattack. They still don't look like the largest, most populous country in Europe, but they're getting there.

They could surprise the Dutch, although with a Dutch-Korean coach I suspect the Dutch press are full of stories about the game.

By the way, does anyone know whether 히딩크 is elligible to vote in Korea, run for President or required to do military service? Does he have to give up any other passports if he wants to get a Korean passport?

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:36 pm

eujin wrote:Is this the "ten-year" stadium or something? The one that was rebuilt using the ruins of WWII Warsaw? Actually it only looks in slightly worse nick than the Communale in Torino did when I was there in 1995.

Yes, that's it. At the moment it's apparently a venue of one of the biggest bazaars in the world, with something like 5000 trades (some useful trivia for you).

When you show people footage of stadium they will no doubt think the hosts are well behind -- and they'd be right. That stadium is 25 years behind the times. :)

However, to be fair, there is a shortage of labour in Poland at the moment and there is talk of getting workers from China to come and help with actually constructing some of the stadiums. Prisoners and the army have also been suggested, which is a worry (though again, this will depend on the context).

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:39 pm

One of the things that has impressed me this time is the number of fans from former Eastern block countries. It looks like all the teams had decent support this time, with an excellent atmosphere at all the games. Even Romania had an entrie end of the stadium decked out in yellow.

This is probably both because the tournament is right in the middle of Europe, with decent transport links both East and West, because of rising incomes in the East and the EU travel restrictions - although I guess Russians and maybe even Croats still need visas to get into Schengen?

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:42 pm

nzfooty wrote:However, to be fair, there is a shortage of labour in Poland at the moment and there is talk of getting workers from China to come and help with actually constructing some of the stadiums.

There's plenty of labour in the UK if the Polish government is willing to pay up for it. A lot of them even speak Polish, (or Lithuanian). :wink:

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 pm

nzfooty wrote: At the moment it's apparently a venue of one of the biggest bazaars in the world, with something like 5000 trades (some useful trivia for you).

I was going to comment about the market tents you can see in the photo. The same thing happens in Russia. In Korea it seems to be stadiums and home furnishings, or stadiums and little kids on bicycles. In Russia it's stadiums and market stalls. A bit like Dongdaemun perhaps.

Gas1883

Postby Gas1883 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
Gas1883 wrote:Oh come on! Surely you miss all the over the top hype surrounding England and our inevitable quarter-final collapses? It gives all the Scots, Irish and Welsh a reason to watch then! :D

Even the promise of a hilarious elimination at some point before the final isn't enough, as there's always that chance it just might not happen...

I am slightly disappointed that the gloss has been taken off Scotland's two wins over France in qualifying somewhat by their dreadful showing at the finals.

Is that the beer talking?

Hell from a football point of view because there is always that outside chance we might go and win a tournament, someday...maybe.

For everyone else having England at major tournament is a good thing. More international interest is created when England are there I think, due to the popularity of the Premier Leauge and some of the high profile players England have. The number of fans that go to the tournament to follow England no doubt give a big boost to local economies too, more so than fans of many other countries I'm sure.

However the t**ts that sometimes follow England, especially when the tournament is close to home can ruin things for everyone else, be it full scale fighting or anti-social behaviour, thankfully since the turn of the century that has changed abit. The example of Scotish fans is a good one to follow. Good thing about 2010 is that the world cup is in South Africa, so for most part only genuine fans will go.

I don't think any shine should be lost from Scotland's qualifiying wins over France, teams run in cycles, France were still a decent side then. The same can be said about England's qualifying group, losing out to Russia and Croatia certainly can't be excused just because those two teams might go to do very well at Euro 2008. I'm sure the Croatia team had several different players in their side for their opening group game at Euro 2008 from the one that lined-up at Wembley in qualiflying.

...now I need a beer!

Return to “World football”