World Cup 2026

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

World Cup 2026

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 am

It's probably not going to happen, but I hope they give it to Morocco. They've already bid unsuccessfully four times and it would be nice to see it go to Africa again before it goes to North America for a fourth time. Looking at the US-Canada-Mexico bid it does rather look like Canada and Mexico were afterthoughts, with only three potential venues each while the US has 17 (although oddly not Chicago). The one good thing about the US bid is that they have all the infrastructure already and they will surely get good crowds. But it's as hot as the Gulf in summer and the humidity is worse.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: World Cup 2026

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 am

I read an article on BBC yesterday that outlined the positives and negatives of both bids, but then concluded that they didn’t really matter as the USA led bid has promised to generate twice as much money for FIFA. And FIFA still loves money.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 am

Goodness, even Russia voted for the US. I can't figure out who's friends with who any more, it's like the abridged version of 1984 in here. Kudos to France, Italy, Brazil and the Benelux for supporting Morocco. I wonder if it will cost them now. Hopefully Canada and Mexico are getting along with the US by the time 2026 rolls around.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:09 am

My home city of Vancouver won't be a host city, as they gave the finger to FIFA's demands of a blank cheque. Good on them, I say.

Canada hosted the Women's World Cup all on its own in 2015, but I don't see much legacy from the expensive, one-month circus. Still no professional women's teams; hell, Vancouver Whitecaps' team plays behind closed doors.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:20 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:My home city of Vancouver won't be a host city, as they gave the finger to FIFA's demands of a blank cheque. Good on them, I say.

Canada hosted the Women's World Cup all on its own in 2015, but I don't see much legacy from the expensive, one-month circus. Still no professional women's teams; hell, Vancouver Whitecaps' team plays behind closed doors.

Is there a chance that Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto might end up feeling the same way as Vancouver or are they legally locked in now? Montreal of all cities should know the danger of blank cheques and I heard there was still some debate in Edmonton, but I don't know much about how it might pan out in the next few years.

And how is the attitude to the US amongst Canadian soccer fans and administrators?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Any truth in the rumour that Vancouver knocked it back because they'll be bidding for a 2030 World Cup held in Cascadia?
Bring back King Cha.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 am

eujin wrote:
MipoFanatic wrote:My home city of Vancouver won't be a host city, as they gave the finger to FIFA's demands of a blank cheque. Good on them, I say.

Is there a chance that Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto might end up feeling the same way as Vancouver or are they legally locked in now? Montreal of all cities should know the danger of blank cheques and I heard there was still some debate in Edmonton, but I don't know much about how it might pan out in the next few years.

And how is the attitude to the US amongst Canadian soccer fans and administrators?

I believe the host cities have already signed contracts. Hadn't heard about rumblings in Edmonton; after the decades it took Montreal to pay off its Olympic debts, you're quite right they should have been more nervous.

Quite a few Canadians feel uncomfortable working with the U.S. Trump will of course be a retiree once the 2026 World Cup begins, but I somehow doubt his legacy will have vanished by then.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 am

Re: Edmonton http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4704414

The Province of Alberta isn't committing to pay.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:02 am

Interesting. I thought the deadline had already passed for provinces to agree to pay costs. Perhaps the British Columbian government was quick with their refusal.

Return to “World football”