Scottish football 2016/17

Everything else football-wise.
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Re: Scottish football 2016/17

Postby eujin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:21 pm

OttoSilver wrote:Wait, back to Castle Greyskull. Where did that name come from?

That comes from the original architectural plans when they were building Ibrox, which looked something like this:
I believe He-Man owns the actual land it is built on. Absentee foreign landownership is a real problem in Scotland.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 pm

SteveW wrote:St Mirren to deny Celtic their treble?

There's more chance of HJ being best man at my wedding to Lee Hyo-ri. I'd take a 3-0 defeat and a big cheque back to Paisley. :)

The Castle Greyskull thing is a weird one. It should really be Snake Mountain. Where's the evidence that He-man owns the land though? Show me the deeds!
Bring back King Cha.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:52 am

That image of Castle Grayskull in my comment didn't last very long, did it? The internet is truly a magical place.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:14 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:
SteveW wrote:St Mirren to deny Celtic their treble?

There's more chance of HJ being best man at my wedding to Lee Hyo-ri. I'd take a 3-0 defeat and a big cheque back to Paisley. :)

That big cheque will at least help St. Mirren start paying their employees properly... Lee Hyo-ri has previous for (alleged) dishonest business practice so perhaps you guys are more of a match than her and I would be 8)

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 am

Well, last weekend, for 50 odd minutes me and Hyo-ri were on. Then Celtic woke up scored a few goals and St Mirren were left with a big cheque, the opportunity to see Gary Mackay-Steven's last game for Celtic and the Brendan Rodgers award for 2nd best team in Scotland. Good enough.

Back in the 80s Rangers were nowhere near good enough to win the league, so the SFA and referees made a big effort in cup games to get them a few trophies. 30 years on and they are back at that level again. They probably didn't need the help against Hamilton, but a dodgy penalty and ignoring a couple of potential sending off offences certainly smoothed the way in their comfortable win.

So Celtic v Rangers in one semi final and Aberdeen v Hibs in the other. Kenny McLean v John McGinn. At least for one of them, they'll be able to have a Scottish Cup final to look forward to and ease the pain of no longer playing at the 2nd best team in Scotland.
Bring back King Cha.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:53 am

Rumours abound that Hyori was in the Celtic dressing room smashing teacups at half-time trying to gee the side up.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 am

I reckon Dembele probably still had his mind on her penalty kickers when he sliced that shot off the crossbar.
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 am

Aberdeen are now potentially one match away from what has surely got to be a unique double - having finished runners-up to Rangers (RIP) in all three major domestic competitions in 1992/93 they are now on course to finish runners-up in the league, League Cup and Scottish Cup to Celtic this season. That's some feat.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Aberdeen are now potentially one match away from what has surely got to be a unique double - having finished runners-up to Rangers (RIP) in all three major domestic competitions in 1992/93 they are now on course to finish runners-up in the league, League Cup and Scottish Cup to Celtic this season. That's some feat.

There really should be a term for that. The Golden Turd for the perennial Number 2s?
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:43 am

Weren't St Mirren supposed to be marching proudly towards Tier 3? I checked today and they're not even bottom. What's going on? I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:58 am

Too tight at the bottom at the moment. Still a good chance Saints will go down to the depths that only pish like Rangers and Morton have sank to (although they both sank even lower than that all the way to tier 4). Have a much clearer idea by next weekend, fingers crossed that they'll be crying in the streets of Raith!

Finishing runners up in every competition would be a bit of a kick in the nuts for Aberdeen, but I guess it wouldn't beat the 1999-2000 season where they lost in the league cup final, finished bottom of the league but were saved by league reconstruction, and then effectively lost the cup final in 2000 within three minutes after the goalkeeper (Jim Leighton?) was injured and Robbie Winters went in goal. Golden days!
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:57 am

1999-2000 was one of my favourite ever football seasons, Aberdeen produced some absolutely mental performances ranging from the 6-0 and 7-0 defeats to Celtic, to the 6-5 win at Fir Park with two of Scotland's best ever goalies Leighton and Goran conceding goals for fun at either end, to Zerouali's magnificent free kick at Love Street and of course the two cup finals. All helped by having Uncle Ebbe as boss with his crazy quotes... fun times.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon May 29, 2017 7:39 am

Holyjoe wrote:Aberdeen are now potentially one match away from what has surely got to be a unique double - having finished runners-up to Rangers (RIP) in all three major domestic competitions in 1992/93 they are now on course to finish runners-up in the league, League Cup and Scottish Cup to Celtic this season. That's some feat.

Runners-up in all three competitions it is... by fuck do I hate football at times, we were tremendous almost to a man on Saturday but it still wasn't enough, a goal deep in second half injury time giving Celtic the cup. People often ask what's worse, getting absolutely pumped in a cup final or losing a last minute winner.. we've had both this season, both hurt but I feel better after yesterday's display having seen the team give their all.

Anyway fuck Celtic and their Scottish domestic treble.. up there alongside such other great sporting achievements as Lewis Hamilton winning his local primary school's sports day three legged race in his F1 car or Wladimir Klitschko beating Taylor Swift at arm wrestling..
Attachments
18700028_685486438302938_2108320683618647007_n.jpg

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon May 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Yeah, I'll add my heartfelt congratulations to Celtic too, Scumbags.

Much better game than I expected, I was shouting at the TV when that pass went a yard behind Kenny McLean as he was bearing down on goal, so goodness knows what kind of new swear words people around you were learning at the game.

To add to Celtic and Aberdeen finishing first and second in everything, Rangers were third in the league and beaten in both semis by Celtic, so I suppose you could argue that they have been 1,2 and 3 in every competition this year. Looking forward to a resurgent St.Mirren breaking that up in the cups next year.

Quite a few players leaving Aberdeen next year and maybe McInnes too, while Rangers have the opposite problem of quite a few crap players not wanting to leave and happy to keep earning a salary they aren't worth. Hearts look like relegation candidates and Hibs aren't that great. Wonder what odds you can get on Celtic beating their 30 point winning margin next season.
Bring back King Cha.

Return to “World football”